If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Brighton Belle

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by dace83, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Question: Do the so called group actually own and have a say in the 5-Bel Set?

If so, what are the plans for running mainline?

2. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I havent noticed anyone involved posting here so the best way to find out is probably to drop them an email. Turning up at KX tommorrow might also be quite effective :smt003

Chris

3. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    I can recommend SpecSavers. [-X

Chris

4. George A

George A New Member

college student
  5. Christopher125

oh yeah..point taken! Im hope they're going to join the WNXX forum, there is a large thread over there full of questions.

Chris

6. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    Yes, but most of them are intended to undermine the project.

Chris

7. Christopher125

Thats the feeling i started to get as the thread went on, but that doesnt mean there arent some genuinuely important questions about aspects of the project; for example, the modifications needed for mainline running.

Chris

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Wooden/Metal frame and coach build integrity apart, isn't not being allowed to carry passengers in the leading and last vehicles in stock of Mk1 or earlier design not a bigger headache considering it's a short unit ?, the lads Mainling a Mk1 EMU are thinking of either a 73, luggage vans or a second unit to get round this issue but would that be workable with a 5BEL ?.

From a purely asthetic point of view woulden't the umber and cream livery have to be disfigured with yellow ends ?, love the idea of a Brighton Belle unit running about but appears short Electric units come up against a minefield of regulations compared to other stock.

9. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

Ah but is the belle a MK1 type... since the belle cars do not have a separate underframe and are of stressed steel construction, they should be classed as Mk2, although I think modifications to the couplings may be needed.

10. SERA01UK

SERA01UK New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    For those interested the formal launch of the 5-Bel Trust was held at the National Railway Musuem on Saturday with invited guests taken there on a non stop run hauled by A4 Pacific 600019 Bittern which made use of the newly commisioned 2nd tender that eliminates the need for water stops. Anyway I digress....

The assembled throng which read like a who's who of railway preservation were given an opening address by the Trust Chairman, Dennis Dunstone, who told the group the the Brighton Belle was the most famous electric train in the world and its return to traffic would be a precurssor for a higher profile image for electric train preservation in the UK. The trust publicity manager, Gordon Rushton, then went onto explain that the initial costings for the project were in the region of £600K and of that £100K had allready been raised and was being used to restore driving motor car 88 at Rampart in Derby. Work was allready underway to design a new traction, control and auxilliary system fro the train from the ground up that would make use of reclaimed parts from scrap EMU stock, whilst not an exact replica of what used to move the Belle along, it would be in keeping with it and the specification for this work would enable it to be certificated run on the national network at an average speed of 60mph. The trust has four vehicles and news on a fifth can be expected soon. The byword for the project was 'Quality'. this will not be a quick fix project but will be completed to the highest standards and the team assembled to do that are all experts in their field.

There will be three levels of subscriber support and a national magazine will be running a feature on the project in a forthcoming article as well as including brochures for potential supporters. The trust has produced the first e-newsletter and interested parties were directed to sign up for it at no cost or without any obligation at the http://www.brightonbelle.com website.

A very enjoyable day !

11. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Good stuff and well done, but will David Jones let you have "Doris" to complete the set ?.

Regards
    Chris

12. SERA01UK

SERA01UK New Member

We'll just have to wait and see ........

13. western48

western48 New Member

I have read this story, and the first thing is I didnt realise how old this electric train was, much older than I thought!

Whilst anything like this I like and support, but I cant help think, with it being a 'electric' train, do you think it will appeal to the general public/average tourist...

I know its a Pullman, and its of historic value, but, as you probably know, most tourist/public type when they think of a 'historic/hertiage' railway operation, they think/want thomas the tank engine, ie a kettle on the front of it!

I suppose its a lot to do with Marketing and, more importantly, quality and service, I think the project can achieve this, but its more of the fact its a 'electric' train (percieved as modern to many) and not steam hauled train that may hold of its appeal.

Not meaning to throw dirt on the project, as I say, anything like this I support, but just a genuine point of view.

14. This is a very glamorous project, but I believe all 15 Brighton Belle Pullman cars survive. I can't help but think that while all this is going on, even a fraction of that investment would be of massive benefit to the unique 4SUB which is quietly rotting away at Coventry. The last photos I saw of it depicted it in an atrocious condition internally.

As I said, all very glamorous, but isn't it rather taking SERA's eye off the ball? What is the relationship to SERA of the Brighton Belle project? And what are your plans for the 4SUB?

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I do, I'm not an electric enthusiast in the slightest but the grandeur of the pull man set would make me travel. It's like the orient express, it is electric and it still attracts people. I believe if the set ran on its original route the Londoners and others alike would like to have an afternoon in Brighton.

16. papagolfjuliet

papagolfjuliet Member

One of the driving trailers was destroyed by fire about twenty years ago, but the rest survive.

17. SERA01UK

SERA01UK New Member

Very good point you raised DisusedBranch, can I start by asking a question in return - You obviously care about the 4-SUB so are you either a financial or physical supporter of the unit ? If not then why is that? Surely that is the only way to ensure a project moves forward by giving it some form of support.

As for SERA taking its eye off the ball, I can confirm that I'm the only person from the SERA or Electric Railway Museum Limited involved directly with the management of the Brighton Belle project. The relationship between all of these projects is one of support and comradeship but not robbing 'Peter to pay Paul'. The Brighton Belle is the most famous electric train in the world and thus will appeal to a far greater target market than say a 4-SUB or a Wirral 503 EMU. The single most difficult obstacle to overcome with electric train preservation is apathy (after being involved in securing more EMUs for preservation in the UK than anyone else alive or dead I feel I can speak with some authority on the subject), the usual comment of 'what is the point of preserving that - you have nowhere to run it' or 'nobody is interested in electric trains' etc. etc. That negativity generates (no pun intended) such low morale within the movement that it creates a self fulfilling prophecy and the projects don't move forward. The Belle is aimed to turn this around and generate a positive outlook for the preservation of electric trains. Once restored and operating it will provide a catalyst for the rest of the movement. Yes electric trains can run again, people do love them and they are so historicly significant they are worth saving. Only with a high profile project like the Belle can we hope to get that momentum started.

As for the future of the 4-SUB well just one coach is in a very bad way but the remaining three are still sound and fully intact. It sits in a queue waiting for attention and how quicly it moves up that queue depends on how quickly and enthusiastically people come to its support. There is a page that is a couple of years old now that tells the story behind the SUB's time at Coventry that you might be interested to read at http://www.emus.co.uk/subr.htm

Many Thanks

Graeme

18. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
  19. Christopher125

I see the second Newsletter is now available, with some info on the changes that'll be required.

Chris

20. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

would the VSOE be getting involved with this project as a pulman belle service to the south coast would dovetail into their south east operation and they have the expertise at maintaining the pulman cars they use and if a mutial agreement were arrived at it could benifit both parties, as regards a route, how about a regular trip down to kent with it twice a week or a weekly brighton run and a run to the kent coast the next, i know of a currently disused branch that would certainly welcome regular visits from a 5 belle