If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Bath and Bristol Express 18/03/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Mar 13, 2017.

1. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Like the video. Interesting to see the injector wasting all over the 3rd rail but no sparks and bangs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

No I do not currently volunteer

My footage of Ian Riley's Black Five at Wylve near Salisbury and Keynsham station

3. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Herbert Walker checked that out when he decided to use third rail electrification, in 1912.........

Jamessquared and johnnew like this.
  4. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Its good to see a bit of steam leaking from the coaching supply pipes, real authentic like.

5. Devonbelle

Devonbelle New Member

Professional railwayman
    It was good to see so many folk join the train at Bath at teatime minutes after the Belmond British Pullman called to pick up passengers for London Victoria.

Lovely to see wisps of steam, from along the train from the steam heat system!

6. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Remember it often from when I was a kid. Always assumed it was earthing safely somehow through the wheels/rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. staffordian

staffordian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Looks like a good capture of MrKnowwun of this parish as well as one of Mr Stanier's finest :)

8. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

My video from yesterday. Captured at Bedhampton, Hedge End and Bosham.

Enjoy!

Mick45305 likes this.
  9. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Aye, Tis mois, we do appear to be sharing the stage. Good job I wasn't caught on the wrong side of the yellow line ;)

10. staffordian

staffordian Well-Known Member

Retired
    I've seen three videos on here so far taken at Hedge End; why wasn't this NP social more widely advertised ;)

11. mrKnowwun

Retired
    we were going to invite you, but your reputation with buying rounds at the bar proceeded you......;)

staffordian likes this.
  12. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

There's a semi-decent pub at the end of the road to Hedge End... I should know, it's my local pub!

My photo from Hedge End.

Black 5 to Bristol.001.jpg

James

13. Arun Valley

Arun Valley New Member

The Barfun’ Brizzle Steam Express

This was not my first journey with The Railway Touring Company, but - not for the lack of booking – my second. The first involved Tangmere going a bit further into Weymouth than planned a couple of years ago. This trip was still a postponed one from December last year due to engineering works. For once the timings were available with more than a week to go on RealTimeTrains (Friday). The tickets arrived in my Inbox on the Monday.

On 45407’s journey down here on the Thursday beforehand there appeared to be a very late alteration to the path. I am presuming this was to have the locomotive facing East for the trip.

The omens seemed good for the day, as we only had to stop at two red lights on the way to Three Bridges Station. We made it into the wind tunnel known as Platform 3 in plenty of time to catch the (smidgeon late) incoming ECS. I could see the gladdening sight of drifting smoke / steam before seeing 45407 itself. It was nice to reacquaint myself with 45407 as this is the second time l have travelled behind it (the first being with it supporting its ‘sister’ to Ely – my first Mainline steam trip). Also gladdening was that information relayed near the top of this thread was true.

We were in coach ‘G’, which was on – and remained so for a while – the chilly side. I could see that the steam heat was operating, as there were the evocative wisps as the train drew in.

We departed Three Bridges on time, hitting the high 40s until slowing through Balcombe (surely not a gauging speed restriction) to about 30 then hitting the mid 50s until the stop at Haywards Heath. The extended stop here was to allow a non-stopper to overtake us. The next section resulted in a top speed of 43 mph before the next stop at Preston Park. This stop also doubled as the first watering of the locomotive. Fortunately, those at the front of the train seemed more interested in their breakfasts so the platform next to the locomotive was not packed. This is one occasion where l am not totally sure what was going on: when l made my way to the front there was a lot of steam being exhausted through the cylinder cocks. My assumption was that there was a surfeit of steam from the downhill run into the station.

From there it was a short run around the ‘corner’ to Hove for the next pick up then into the low 50s for the final pick up at Worthing. By this time the carriage began receiving a proportion of the steam heat plus being full so the chill had gone. After Worthing, speed was into the 50s until slowing for Arundel and Ford Junctions then the bridge across the Arun. After this 45407 really got into her stride and passed through Chichester in the high 50s. There were probably some signal checks as there was some go-then-slow until the pathing stop at Fareham Signal E882.

The next stop at Botley was for water. As only the front portion of the train was at the platform no one was allowed off the train. We left the next pause at Eastleigh several minutes late. We were then up into the 50s until slowing down to single figures for Romsey. Following that we were back into the 50s before slowing and stopping for watering at Salisbury several minutes down. By this time those at the front of the train were unoccupied so were out in force around the locomotive. An efficient filling was performed, as we were away right time. Between Salisbury and Westbury our minimum speed was in the low 30s. Nice countryside.

Westbury was an extended stop as we were there early and away right time. More nice countryside as we followed the river and canal to sweep around the curve at Bathampton Junction to arrive at Bath Spa. Those leaving the train here were encouraged to alight as quickly as they could, as timings were a little tight. After another trip into the 50s we arrived at Bristol Temple Meads a few early.

The weather in Bristol could have been better: cold wind and some mizzle. We wended our way down to the old quay and saw the local Universities were having their version of the boat race then had some lunch. After some more wandering it was time to make our way back to the station. Platform 9 was being shown as the platform for the ‘Charter Train’, which was correct. We were later told that it was originally Platform 7 and that such changes are not uncommon. Now ‘G’ was the third carriage and the steam heat was functioning well as my legs got rather warm.

For the record, the minimum speed over Upton Scudamore was about 27 mph and was the best noise of the day. We were a little late departing Salisbury as it appears there was a delay in starting pumping the water. It was funny to see the hose passing through the little office off Platform 4. Also funny was a family who had come along to have a watch and tried to get the kids to pose in front of 45407 for a picture but were too scared.

We had an unplanned stop at Romsey due to a “signalling error”. Our route could have originally been set for Southampton via Redbridge. This meant we were 14 late passing Eastleigh. After another stay-on-the-train water stop at Botley we rejoined the West Coastway with gusto at Farlington Junction and were making up time with high 50s running. It was on the approach to Chichester that l am again not sure what was going on: from around the 60 mph mark we slowed to a stop quite sharpish and were stationary for about 6 minutes.

After setting down at Worthing and Hove we had our final water stop at Preston Park. We could get off (passenger set down) even though not all of the train was at the platform. After some more high 50s running we stopped at Haywards Heath, then back up to 50 before slowing finally for Three Bridges almost 30 minutes late. We waited on the Platform to see the train off and made our way home.

As usual, it was nice to wave and be waved at as we went along: just so much different to “normal” train travel. This was my first mainline trip that was stream hauled throughout and easily the most miles (about 308 of them); LATEr this year, this MAY be beaten.

I close with thanking those who made this train possible: RTC, WCR, NR, Ian Riley for having 45407 available, the stewards and the (young support) crew.

Here are some pictures...

The ECS arriving at Three Bridges (still from video)
    Arriving TBD Web.jpg

At Preston Park
    Preston Park 1 Web.jpg

Again, at Preston Park
    Preston Park 2 Web.jpg

Finally, the ECS arriving at Bristol Temple Meads
    BTM Web.jpg

Cheers.
    -SC-

Attached Files:

alastair likes this.
  14. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

There was a stopper ahead in the platform, that if you had been on time would have been behind you( I checked at the time). Thanks for advising the reason for the late departure from Romsey.