If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The annual 'what will they do next year?' thread.

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Bulleid Pacific, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Here we are at the twilight of 2011, with only one burning issue left to consider- what possible RTR models will the manufacturers announce for next year (or rather 2013)? My wanted list of five possibilities has a Southern (particularly freight) bias for obvious reasons, but here it is anyway:

1. Urie/Maunsell S15 class. This is arguably the most glaring omission from the current range of available Southern models, and would complement the excellent N15 rather nicely, and has a variety of cab/tender options to keep things interesting.

2. Maunsell Q class. If Hornby saw fit to release the limited potential model of the BR Std. 6MT, then why not examples of this small class of 20 locomotives?

3. Any LBSCR/SECR/LSWR tank locomotive (Terriers excepted, although this is probably due for a makeover); I would personally like to see Kernow Model Centre commission Dapol for an 0415 class next year.

4. A Brighton Atlantic, and I'll find a reason to make sure an example survived until 1960, the earliest year that my layout can portray...

5. LNER D49 has been absent from the general release catalogue for too long (although available in Railroad), its time for a makeover.

My 'would love to have, but will probably never get done' models are currently the Urie big tanks, Maunsell N15X, and the Urie H15. I'm also still surprised at the continued absence of an unrebuilt Merchant Navy class, although not essential for my layout.

Over to you...

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A Leader and a Turf Burner. :)

3. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    What will they do or what would we like them to do?!

I would second the hope for a S15, and a 0415 would also be right up my street. As you say, the 0415 would most likely be a Limited Edition from a retailer, probably Kernow.

Moving away from Southern Region, and into my other areas...

1) A Stanier Mogul. There were only 40, but 42968 has really earned them their place in the history books and in enthusiasts' hearts everywhere. My Grandad would have it in LMS Black and I would have to have 42968 itself.
    2) A decent LMS Compound. Bachmann are doing the NRM one but have made clear that it would be of negligible use in providing tooling for later, 'standard' versions. One in BR lined black would be a must.
    3) GWR 2-8-0T. I have a real softspot for the South Wales Valleys (over 80 colliery wagons and counting...) and one of these would really complement my trio of 56s.
    4) One of the new detailed Hornby Castle's in post war G Crest W livery. A bit arcane I know.

4. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    A few significant engines have big birthdays in 2013....

Lion for example is 175.

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I would like to see Hornby revive their L1 Class 4-4-0 to modern standards. GW 8-coupled tanks would be good too.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Industrial steam ?

7. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Heretic!!!!

But seriously, a few interesting industrial examples would be nice. A Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST for me please.

8. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

OnTracks are announcing an industrial 0-6-0T steam locomotive at Warley. http://www.ontracks.co.uk/

I'd like to see some London Transport engines and stock to go with the LT pannier tanks

9. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Well still hoping for the Dukedog and C class to make an appearance from Bachmann. :wink:

The Bluebell Rly shop is now doing customise naming & weathering service on models for order. You can currently order Hornby Bulleid Pacifics, Schools, King Arthurs and Bachmann Std 4's. I've just got 34059 (which use to be Sir Fredrick Pile) and I've got 80151 (ex-80053) in light weathering on order. Next year 80064 and 80100 will be available to order along with 73082 Camelot. Also the shop will be producing a limited edition series of Terriers in various liveries with only 25 of each being made, the first one is Stepney and the second one will be W8 which will be launched at the Warley Model Show.

10. eddief

eddief Member

I think Hornby will do more Eastern region - most likely East Anglia locos to suit the B1/B17 etc. Hornby will also announce the retooled 67 that slipped out briefly last year.

Bachmann will do another 0-6-0 engine to suit the new chassis under the 3F. Perhaps some new postal stock to match the POS too.

11. guard_jamie

Signalman
    I disagree. I think that Hornby will turn to another region this year, either LM or W as they have been very generous to S and E fans these past years. Sadly I think Sc fans will lose out once again.

It is my belief that these days to ensure accuracy chassis tend to be class-specific, and as such I find myself doubting that Bachmann will use it elsewhere with the exception of a Fowler 4F - which would be nice!

Going back to my earlier point on Sc locos, I wonder if Bachmann will take a gamble and do a Caley 812? 828 is proving very popular south o' the border down Bridgnorth way and I wouldn't be surprised if they will take the same gamble that they have done with the Super D and S&D 8F - go for relatively arcane locos popularised by preserved examples. I have to say that I would find a decent excuse to have 828 in all its finery on my layout!

12. HennersJames

HennersJames New Member

MPD Cleaner - Bewdley, SVR
    But which tender would they pair her with? Stanier or Fowler? Either way, a Stanier Mogul would certainly put them (hopefully Bachmann) in my good books!
    Henners

13. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Fowler, naturally, as it is the authentic 'in service' combination and is what the preserved locomotive has run with most.

That being said, 'special editions', commissioned by the SVR or otherwise whereby 500 or some other limited number are produced with Stanier tenders would be possible, as the stanier and fowler tenders already produced by Bachmann are interchangeable - my Grandad's LMS jubilee has a fowler tender, my BR jubilee has a stanier.

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    To be honest, I wouldn't have thought it would be Western Region, as they have already re-tooled the Castle, 28xx and have introduced the 2884 class, the latter two last year. The Eastern Region has also been fairly well-served of late. However, the Midland seems to have slipped off the radar a bit where Hornby's concerned, as I am unsure as to how good the announced 2P 4-4-0s will be in terms of tooling (they look suspiciously like the old tooling if pictures are anything to go by, with rather over-prominent gap between locomotive and tender), although Bachmann have picked up the baton with their 3F and to a lesser extent, the 7F. That just leaves the Southern out in the cold again. The Beattie Well Tank aside, the Southern Region has not seen a completely new locomotive since 2009 with the introduction of the much-anticipated V class, and even that was announced back in 2008.

15. guard_jamie

Signalman
    The spate of Souther locos from Hornby relatively recently - M7, T9, V, King Arthur, Rebuilt Light Pacific would suggest to me that to call it out in the cold is unfair. The London Midland is the worst served recently, the 2P being merely a re-release - as you noted they were kind to their WR fans last year.

16. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I want a Dukedog to tuck in behind my Bachmann Manor please!

17. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Possibly, but the Midland has pretty recently benefitted from the Super D, the 7F (ok, there is Southern crossover appeal, but it is essentially a Midland design in all but name), the Bachmann parallel-boilered Patriots, the Fairburn tanks and now the 3Fs, so I still stand by my argument that the Southern is still out in the cold, particularly in the freight department (only the Q1). The 'spate' is a clear indication of how far behind the others the Southern was, and almost certainly still is, represented in OO gauge. In an ideal world, each manufacturer would release four models from each of the pre-Nationalisation companies, with the odd standard thrown in for variety. That way, we all win one way or another. Whether this will ever happen is a point of conjecture, not to mention the effect of the almost extortionate prices of the models these days. No wonder Hornby is struggling with its core market.

18. eddief

eddief Member

Actually the Midland 3F, SECR C Class and a few other 0-6-0's from the LNER Etc. share the same wheel spacings (8' and 8'6" if my memory serves me right) so apart from making suitable wheels and maybe a few other detail refinements the chassis should sit under a few different locos.

19. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Ah, my mistake! Hopefully Bachmann will capitalise on this.

20. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;0bIzNJHKACg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bIzNJHKACg[/video]

I suppose the most logical (in terms of broad interest) 0-6-0 industrial bar an austerity would be a yank tank? Should think I'll be getting a couple regardless of what it is, mind!