If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage to celebrate Southern steam

Discussion in 'Steam Railway' started by Thomas Bright, Jun 19, 2017.

The Swanage railway will be commemorating the 50th anniversary of the end of Southern Region steam on July 9, by hosting its ‘Southern Sunrise’ gala.

[​IMG]
    BR Standard ‘4MT’ No 80104, in disguise as classmate and ’67 survivor No. 80146, rests at Swanage on the final day of the railway’s ‘Strictly Bulleid’ gala on April 2. THOMAS BRIGHT/SR

Unlike its recent record-breaking ‘Strictly Bulleid’ gala on March 31-April 2, which saw a record five Bulleid ‘Pacifics’ in action on the ‘Purbeck Line’, the ‘Southern Sunrise’ event will field only the railway’s resident Southern fleet.

One feature of the event will be the first timetabled gala trains over the entirety of the ten-mile branch line to Wareham, top-and-tailed by West Coast Railways diesels and the Swanage’s own Class 33 No. D6515. The inaugural trains commenced on June 12, the first of a planned 60-day trial period.

It is hoped to have at least three of the railway’s resident steam fleet in action for the event: LSWR ‘M7’ No. 30053, Bulleid ‘Battle of Britain’ No. 34070 Manston and BR Standard ‘4MT’ No. 80104. The latter is currently running as scrapped classmate No. 80146, which was the last steam locomotive to operate over the line before the branch’s closure in 1972.

Another potential candidate to appear at the gala will be ‘BB’ No. 34072 257 Squadron, which is now in the final throes of its overhaul at Herston works.

A full run-down of the end of Southern steam commemorative events on July 9 can be found here.

Continue reading...

1. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Unlike a Swanage event to be so "under the radar". I live across the park from the line in Swanage, walk past the station everyday on the way to the Post Office yet only heard about it last night when we had Mark the WCRC driver over for dinner and I said I was surprised the railway were not doing something for July 9.
    Maybe I just missed it in all the justified delight at the mainline events this weekend.