If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

A few shots of 30053 in action yesterday.

nick glanf and John Petley like this.
  2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you for posting. A great engine in perfect winter light. I have taken a number of shots of trains passing under Town End Bridge with the fixed distant signal in the background (see clip 2 minutes 25 to 3 minutes 7 seconds) , but I've never seen a picture by anyone else before nor have I ever had another photographer for company at this spot, even though I think it's a superb location. A stepladder is an asset here and it's not to be recommended in the summer months as even with a bit of elevation, the bracken sprouts up and you can't see the track (unless you have a PTS and can stand on the other side of the fence.)

Perhaps someone could explain why 30053 always seems to be wreathed in steam during the winter months. It presumably isn't a leak, but something seems to be drifting up from underneath the boiler barrel all the time, sometimes almost obscuring the side of the loco (See 1 minute 45 seconds into the video, for example). Perhaps it's my imagination playing tricks on me, but I've never seen another engine that does this on anything like the same scale. Is it connected with the cylinders? I'm intrigued to know.

3. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

excellent videos I agree and very steamy....could it be the cylinder drain cocks?

4. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was filming at the same location on Thursday, 29th December. The M7 passed the bridge with hardly a hint of steam escaping from the cylinders. Since then my friend has shown me his photographs taken at Corfe Common on Monday (2/01). On that occasion the loco had a mass of steam escaping from the cylinders. Very strange indeed. <BJ>

5. 007

007 Member

Piston rod packings are a consistent source of frustration every since the cessation of the use of Asbestos.
    During their 50 years of service, the LSWR, SR and later BR never really found a permanent solution to the M7 tendency to blow at the front end, despite many modifications and trials. Of all the regular jobs that take place on 53, the packings tend to get some of the most attention.

30053 is suffering with leaking glads at the moment and this is exasperated by the steam reverser which is currently being nursed by crews and fitters. You set the reserver and the steam supply to the reverser blows and the reverser drifts. Its managed by the crews and fitters on a daily basis to ensure its continued safe operation for the next month. 30053 will then be withdrawn and the problems shown, attended to.

free2grice and John Petley like this.
  6. John Petley

Thank you for explaining this mystery.

7. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Its probably worth saying they can leak both in the summer and the winter months but its more noticeable in the winter as it will show more when the leaking steam condenses. You mention the demise of Asbestos are you only using soft packing's?

8. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

I recall talking to a chap in Eastleigh works in the 80'summer just after the M7 had turned up at Swanage. He said they used to put the asbestos rope/packing in their mouths to make it more pliable.

9. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    :Saywhat:

10. derby2

derby2 New Member

Ran out of jobs
    Here's another one - same loco, same conditions, almost the same spot, but two years ago. Note the other photographer in the distance - whoever it is! _IMG0743.jpg

horace likes this.
  11. John Petley

Not me on that occasion! My picture of 30053 from the spot near where he (well, I presume it's a he) was standing was taken on 9th April last year, I therefore didn't quite manage as volcanic an exhaust as you and Kristian achieved as it wasn't so cold, but as a compensation, I managed to take a picture without any steam drifting up from the cylinders on the side of the loco facing the camera.

12. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I understood Drummond steam reversers were always troublesome, whatever the packing material used!

PH

13. 007

007 Member

Generally speaking 30053's reverser is both reliable and easy to use.

14. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Steam reversers are no more troublesome than many other parts of locos!

15. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Hmm. I hear you. If you were to say this about the Stirling type or various American proprietory types, then this would be much less open to question. But Drummond's reversers? There are plenty of accounts written "in the day" by professionals that make comments such as "finicky and troublesome."I suppose there are always good specimens that behave themselves, whatever the general experience is.

PH

16. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Could be worse could be a Bulleid steam reverser!

17. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I always understood the Bulleid type was derived from the Drummond, perhaps with (even) greater inaccessibility thrown in.

PH

18. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Having driven both ships and locomotives,
    1. Marine Steam Hydraulic reversers appear to be trouble free
    2. I don't understand why anyone needs them on a loco anyway..........

paulhitch likes this.
  19. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Derived from the Drummond type, though incorporating some Stirling features.

I think the main issue as applied to a Bulleid Pacific was the combination of high working pressure and lightweight valve gear meant that any movements could happen too fast for precision. In particular, I have a hunch that many of the reports of such locos going into back gear while moving forward were probably caused by trying to make a small change to the cut off (especially notching up, i.e. reducing the cut off while in forward gear) and finding the gear moved very quickly past where you intended and into back gear.

There was an in-service modification to introduce a pilot valve that went a long way to alleviating that problem. The other issue of the gear drifting in position without any driver input remained; my feeling is that the primary cause of that was a lack of maintenance exacerbated by the inaccessibility of the reverser.

That said, having used both types, I'd choose the Stirling for ease of use and precision any day.

Tom

paulhitch likes this.
  20. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Try spending a day shunting with a Terrier (lever reverse, unbalanced) and a day with a Wainwright P class (steam reverser). You'd soon understand why they are useful!

Tom

gz3xzf and andrewshimmin like this.