If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

The seasonal DMU service was created originally, in the main, to provide Santa passengers with connections to their special trains.
    I believe these DMU services have experienced steadily reducing patronage over many years with people now preferring to drive to Swanage.
    This year Santa passengers can drive to Swanage and park for just £1 all day in the nearby Council car park [or FREE on Saturdays!].
    This gave the Railway a problem as using a DMU in these circumstances would be an expensive alternative for Santa passengers.
    So far as I'm aware there have been few, if any, problems/complaints from families.
    If you've not already done so, may I suggest you contact the Railway to let them know your views: info@swanagerailway.co.uk

2. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Any photos of today winter warmer gala please, unable to make it due to family emergency . Bet it was amazing, would love ❤️ too see pictures, thank you

3. Sunnieboy

Sunnieboy New Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you are on FB then the Swanage Railway Unofficial FB page has few including video.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

4. daddsie

daddsie Guest

Or look on YouTube

5. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Just shown to the world today. 80104 has emerged in to the world as 80146, in tribute to the real loco which was the motive power for the last passenger train on the line back in 1967 (18th June 1967 to be exact I think for a railtour). The FB page says it was 'the' last steam engine on the line but I think a WC came down during the last week of steam to do a freight turn didn't it?

6. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    34021 'Dartmoor' worked down the branch as far as Furzebrook with a clay train on Friday 7 July 1967. There are a series of photographs in Andrew Wright's 'Swanage Branch in Colour' book.

7. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

Will 30053 be running on New Year's Day? Still facing Swanage as well? Thanks!

8. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    30053 was in service yesterday, 29th, and it was facing Swanage.

It was hauling 4 green Mk.1s and looked very nice in the crisp, winter sunlight. Plenty of passengers aboard.

As is the norm on my way home I was stuck in heavy traffic on the A351 heading towards Wareham.

Roll on the day when we can catch a train between Swanage and Wareham. :) <BJ>

9. AnthonyTrains2017

indeed, wish it would be possible to travel Wareham to Nordon for bulleid gala

10. desperado

desperado Member

The -4 at Wareham from the early trains from London (etc) onto the bus to Corfe is very tedious. Sometimes so tedious that getting the bus from Bournemouth over the Sandbanks ferry is better :-(

11. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

The two routes serving Swanage are:
    Route 40: http://morebus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=3920 calling at Wareham Station [stop close to London bound platform exit] en-route to/from Swanage.
    Route 50: http://morebus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=3921 starts in bus/coach area outside Bournemouth Station [Down side] and uses the Sandbanks-Studland ferry to Swanage.
    These are the current Winter timetables but I think they may still apply when the "Strictly Bulleid" steam gala is running [31 March - 2 April].
    To make sure, may I suggest contacting them via enquiries@morebus.co.uk

12. AnthonyTrains2017

Will take car then

13. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

Route 40 will pass through Corfe and there might also be a stop out side Norden P&R. Might not need the car

14. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Request a stop at Norden Farm. Norden station is just round the corner (circa 300m as the crow flies)

Reading General likes this.
  15. desperado

desperado Member

Friday 31st March, buses to Swanage should leave Wareham at xx04 during the day.
    The first two connections from London (and intermediate stations) (should) arrive at 0811 and 0911 so just missing the bus. The first London connection with a reasonable bus connection is 0703 from Waterloo arriving at 0939. 1004 bus from Wareham gets into Corfe at 1019.
    Saturday April 1st, buses to Swanage should leave Wareham at xx04 during the day.
    The first connections from London (and intermediate stations) (should) arrive at 0813, 0908, 1008, 1027 and 1048 (0835 from Waterloo).
    The 1104 bus from Wareham gets into Corfe at 1119.

I'm sure the connections off the trains from London onto the bus to Corfe used to be better than this. This is why I've ended up getting the bus from Bournemouth or driving recently.

"(should)" is because the network rail journey planner won't plan that far ahead - these times are based on 1-2 weeks earlier.

16. Reading General

personally nearly an hour to sit on a railway station would be not a problem. Not sure what traffic would pass, but that's the thrill of it isn't it!

17. desperado

desperado Member

Watching a couple of 444s go past when you really want to be travelling behind a real loco isn't my idea of fun.

18. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

A taxi to Norden is circa £10-12....and if there is a group of you then it works out about £3 pp

19. Reading General

DSC05451.JPG
    Last time I called to Wareham, 46115 appeared out of the blue.

20. blackfour

blackfour New Member

Just bear in mind that the No 50 often runs with an open-topped vehicle (Even at this time of year!) and is often fairly busy - especially in the mornings and evenings. Whilst I was in the hospital in Poole in November, my friend often found himself having to sit outside as every seat inside was taken. Food for thought that may alter your decision! In contrast, I've only seen the No 40 run with an open-topped vehicle once, and that was back in May, so perhaps the better choice - even if the wait is a little tedious.