If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway Easter Operations

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by KentYeti, Apr 2, 2009.

1. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I'm off to Snowdonia today, (after collecting my walking companion from Heathrow, a lovely Swedish woman!), for a long weekend of hard mountain walking.

I'm back early in Easter week and am working out where to go to photo some steam.

I've never been down to the Swanage Railway and may go down there for a day or two.

So I need some local advice!

I am guessing that with an intensive steam service over the period 34070 will be running?

But will the locos have Easter decorations on the front, or will they be running just normally?

And can anyone recommend a comfortable B&B near to the railway.

2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    On another thread, it is stated that 34070 is scheduled to be in operation over the Easter period, subject to the usual caveats. 80078 is also available, 6695 and 80104 are not. 30053 has been working but will soon be withdrawn for repainting. 34028 stayed on at Williton after the WSR gala, and I don't know when it is due back.

If you've never been before, you have missed a real treat - lovely scenery and a real sense of stepping back to the late 1950's/early 1960's. A splendid line indeed. Over Easter, there will be a 40-minute service.

Photographically, lineside passes are not issued, but there are a good few publicly accessible shots from footpaths and bridges. The only fly in the ointment is if the Devon Belle Observation Car is coupled immediately behind the loco, it does look a bit odd photographically, although it's a lovely vehicle to ride in.

Regarding headboards, I went along for the day over Easter two years ago and the locos ran normally..

Accomodation-wise My wife & I have stayed several times at an excellent B&B called Bradle Farm at Church Knowle two miles from Corfe Castle. It may be fully booked at this late stage. It has a website. There are plenty of B&B's in the Purbeck area. I hope you find something.

Trust this helps. Hopefully someone from the Swanage Railway can fill in the gaps re second loco.

3. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

That's a load of very helpful info John. Thank you very much.

4. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

As it is 2 trains in steam over Easter I expect that it will be Manston and 78.

as for B & Bs you could try Sunny South in Kings Road West Swanage. This backs onto the railway. Vicky and Martin who run it are members of the railway. You do get a good breakfast.

5. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

I hope you enjoy your first visit to our railway with fine weather, get some good photographs and go home with plenty of happy memories. If you're driving to Dorset then the Sat Nav destination for Swanage Station is BH19 1HB.
    Regarding locos to be used - it is more than likely that 34070 and 80078 will haul most trains but the M7 may make an appearance. It is still too early to confirm which locos will be out on which days but, rest assured, we do not decorate our locos in Easter Bonnets, or similar. (You might get a free Easter Egg on the train !)
    If you are still having problems with B&Bs then please go to our website http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk where you should find links to some of the accommodation available. You'll also be able to see our Yellow timetable there (First Swanage Dep is at 0950 and then every 40 mins until the 1710. From 1815 we have a DMU service to/from Corfe Castle with the last return from Corfe at 2330 [Swanage Arr. 2347]. Corfe has some quaint pubs serving good food and real ales from the barrel if you're interested.
    We have no mountains in Purbeck but the walks are varied with delightful scenery. If interested then walk to the sea front and go along Shore Road until you reach the White House. This is Swanage Tourist Information Centre and they have details of the many walks in the area.
    Hope this has covered all of your queries. If you or anyone else has other Swanage Railway related questions I, or other Swanage NP members, will do our best to answer them.

6. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Our website http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk is being restyled and updated where appropriate.
    On the new Home page I see we've at last started to mention the locos we plan to have in steam.

Currently :-
    34070 "Manston" is scheduled for services from 4th to 13th April, and
    80078 is scheduled for operations between 10th and 17th April.
    These are, of course, subject to the usual caveats.

7. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's great news. Thank you to whoever has been involved in this positive development. I live about 130 miles from Swanage but seems like I need my fix of a couple of visits each year. It will make life a lot easier not only for myself but for others in a similar position to have some idea of which locos will be working. I'm sure it will be especially appreciated by all those people who have posted on another thread about how much they dislike 6695 operating on the line - they will now know when to steer clear of the line!

8. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Cant see whats wrong with 6695?
    Makes a nice change from the Bulleid diet....