If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Season Finale Gala 4-6th November

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Given that the SVR has a constant stream of locomotives "passing through the works" would it be an idea to return one to service at an "End of season"event when the supporting home fleet could be used in different combinations e.g 813 pilotting 1501 / 1450 pilotting 7812 / other unusual combinations operated on the "End of Season" Gala Days only.

As one who supported the Treble Manors in 2015 and made special efforts to attend last weekend I would be happy to attend if the event were to be held

black5 likes this.
  2. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I would love to see a regular November event, and to showcase the home fleet in it. Galas at the SVR are usually focused on visitors, but with such a great selection of engines of their own it would be a great chance to let them shine.

3. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The November events seem to me to be a good way to celebrate or showcase occasions of enthusiast interest. last year focusing on the end of manors on the cambrian, this year on 813's return. next year, with 75069 returning plus the bulleids may work with something of a end of southern steam theme, and in 2018 2857 will be 100 whilst 82045 should be coming to life for the first time.

4. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    The SVR used to call itself Britain's Premier Steam Railway and it is. I would like to keep it that way, so yes steam only please! I couldn't go this year but a regular themed November event is a great idea.

5. Journalist

Journalist New Member

Each to their own etc, but worth saying from a personal point of view that I've made a lot more (3-4 per year on average) trips to the SVR for normal running days since it started using diesels as well as steam on mid-week services, and that every Christmas of late when pondering which winter galas to go to it's the GWR and Swanage that get my money over fellow local-ish option the WSR because they use both steam and diesel at their events and the WSR is steam-only. Accept I'm probably a minority, but to me it's all beautiful heritage traction and the more variety of what's out at an event, the better.

6. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    That was the sort of thing that was on my mind, given that a lot of railways do "Mixed traffic" galas, which seem popular, how ever the obvious problem with diesels in the winter is that none of our coaches have ETH and none of the diesels currently have operational boilers, so would have to have a steam loco coupled inside for heat. Also would occasional use of the TPO set be popular or a Syphon at the front of the shorter trains replicating how milk used to be conveyed maybe?

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

In fairness during the 1960s steam / diesel combinations were common so a November Gala based on "combinations - past and present" could be a winner with either double-headed steam or steam / diesel combinations; you could even offer the DMU for sightseers or night service with trolley service !

8. olly5764

Engineer
    Interesting idea Fred

9. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Use of the TPO is very very very limited if not at all. They are stuffed full of Christmas decorations and other items. None of the vehicles are fitted and the only brake is the handbrake in the BG. I would like to see both Syphons used a bit more but its taking up space for a passenger carrying vehicle and having the Syphon in the train would only really please the photographers on the lineside as once you're in the train, you can't see the Syphon. I would love to see the milk tank or either of the cattle wagons running in the formation of a small gala local set. One diagram I would love to see is a small goods train that drops off a wagon at each station on one leg and then picks them up on the return.

nick813 likes this.
  10. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    The pickup goods sounds an interesting idea but the logistics for Arley and Hampton Loade may give timekeeping issues. For example getting in and out of Arley going north is OK but going south has issues. Sorry got to go will elaborate later.

Going south at Arley to pick up a wagon you need to uncouple the loco, fetch the wagon out of the siding and run round it. This requires the loco to enter the Arley Bewdley section which must either be clear or the train moving towards Bewdley. EDIT there is also the issue that the line is downhill through the platforms and you cant leave a freight wagon on a hill without a brake van at the low end

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  11. olly5764

Engineer
    Not totally correct, the BG in the centre of the TPO is fitted, and as for being stuffed full of Christmas decorations I don't see this as any more of a problem than the goods wagons which are stuffed full of wagon and loco spares. You also can't see the milk tank, cattle wagon, or for that matter, the loco once you are on the train, it's all about creating a feel and trying to find out what people would be interested in seeing.