If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Suburban steam

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by andrewshimmin, Apr 28, 2017.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

The "door flying open" thesis is not one dreamed up by me. Neither of us can say for certain which theory is right. What is certain is that hardly any, if any, other lines had this feature and many ran through tunnels.

PH

2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Mersey Railway loco hauled coaches had round-topped doors.

Bob.

andrewshimmin and paulhitch like this.
  3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

You've just used 'mandatory' and 'most' in the same sentence. Does not compute!
    The short answer is I am not sure, it may depend on the safety case of the particular operator. Eurotunnel for example doesn't insist on end doors in its trains (just as well really or they would look quite different), but you can somehow evacuate to the side and into a service tunnel. New Thameslink class 700s certainly don't have end doors but presumably you could evacuate onto the adjacent line once traffic was stopped. Maybe the specific problem is single bore tunnels. But I am guessing.

4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry for the confusion, I was thinking about the fact that there are inconsistencies but that the mandatory requirements apply away from LUL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk