If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam to Penistone ???

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 6:05 special, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Oooh! That's the difficult way round the loop, isn't it? 1-in-45 climb from Barnsley? Wow! I had expected the first attempt to go the easier way round first, selling the tour on the novelty of "new" steam mileage, etc. and then go for the big climb later as a way of selling another tour. How long will the route be available for steam? If it's just a few months, then I see why you are going for all the "firsts" in one go. Mind you, you could probably sell the train at least twice on this route, given the rarity, even in these straightened times.

What will be the load for the two locos? If Jubilees were allowed 7 in the 1950s, the pair ought to manage 10 or perhaps 11 with enough spare margin, shouldn't they?

2. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I've found a full account of this in a BackTrack, very interesting, will try to put it up tonight.

Dave

3. Pass the Kettle

Pass the Kettle New Member

Will Railway Touring Co be the booking agents? and what are the ticket prices likely to be, simillar to the Cotton Mill?

4. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

IF!! the 'bid' is accepted by NetworkRail, Past Time will be the promoters and W.C.R. the operators.

I would expect a significant increase in the ticket price compared to the Cotton Mills.......... two locos required, new planning, new gauging etc etc. But as this may well be a one-off for steam before the route becomes a tram way, I would book early, as I recon it will be a quick sell-out!

5. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    All joking aside - well done Ian for giving this a run

I look forward to hearing if the bid is accepted

6. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

The Woolston Grange incident - reprinted in BackTrack but from the October 1964 RCTS journal Railway Observer:

"NOTTINGHAM. Victoria station was host, possibly for the first time, on 15th August to a new class when 4-6-0 6858 Woolston Grange arrived at 14.35 on 1N72, 08.55 Bourne¬mouth West to Leeds, with a load of eight bogies, driven by Woodford men. An Annesley crew took over, leaving two minutes late at 14.42 and the train then continued to Sheffield Victoria arriving on time at 15.52 - the very liberal schedule of 72 minutes (which included 13 minutes recovery time) called for little effort from the locomotive but as the Annesley crew had never previously been on the footplate of a Grange their efforts were quite creditable. It is doubtful whether speeds in excess of 50 mph were achieved anywhere with the possible exception of the downhill stretch approaching Staveley Central.
    The arrival at Sheffield Victoria was interesting - the lefthand cylinder on 6858 touching the platform upon arrival and a thin strip of approximately two or three feet of concrete edging was dislodged. This incident having been noted by an off-duty locomotive inspector, standing on the platform nearby, urgent calls were made to Control for a replacement engine for the onward journey but none apparently being available the Huddersfield crew, due to take over from the Annesley men, were now faced with the prospect of tackling the steep gradients to Penistone with what the driver pungently remarked as "this foreign-looking contraption"!
    The rather truculent NE driver, after an inspection of this strange steed, then flatly declared his unwillingness to proceed, although his fireman - with the promise of righthand firing - was not so perturbed and renewed efforts were then made to obtain a replacement, again with no success.
    Finally, some 48 minutes late and after having completely disrupted the station workings, 6858 worked north on its history making journey, driven by an ER locomotive inspector immaculately attired in blue pinstripe suit and Homburg hat, complete with briefcase, with the driver still refusing to discharge his normal duties. 6858 was noted on Hillhouse shed the following day, Sunday 16th August."

I suppose the products of Swindon might well look like a 'foreign looking contraption' to NER men.

Cheers
    Dave

7. david_slst

david_slst New Member

Ian,

Good to see that something on this secenic route may materialise.

However, further to earlier posts, I would strongly caution about going clockwise (at least initially)ie. Sheffield - Barnsley - Penistone - Huddersfield because of the difficult (speed resticted) 1 in 45 gradient out of Barnsley.

Coming anti-clockwise from Huddersfield you could cut the cost in half as you could use a Black 5 unassisted on 9/10 bogies and its a nicer longer (but steadier)climb this way too.David

8. Pass the Kettle

Pass the Kettle New Member

I do hope you get clearence for this, Ian, as it sounds like a fab trip. I thought it might be a bit more pricey than the Cotton Mill but would be worth every penny and a very scenic journey. Hoping to fill at least one table's worth of seating if it goes ahead \:D/

9. James Shuttleworth

James Shuttleworth New Member

Robert Anderson's book Railway Memories No.13 - 'Huddersfield, Dewsbury & Batley', has a much more detailed and entertaining account of the 'Woolston Grange' incident, on 15 August 1964, which I have summarised:

6858 was provided by Oxford shed, as the rostered Farnley Junct 5X had been prevented reaching Oxford, due to an earlier derailment. It had been expected to be replaced at Nottingham, although it worked on to Sheffield, which was usually the limit for ex-GW locos.

At Sheffield, the relieving Low Moor crew initially refused to work it, eventually relenting, on condition that they were accompanied by an inspector. Although leaving Sheffield 28mins late, by Penistone, they were so taken with the machine that they agreed to working on to Huddersfield, alone - and then the fun started.

Having clipped the platform edge at Denby Dale, Leeds Control became involved and instructed that it must be detached at Huddersfield, as it was very likely to get stuck in Morley tunnel, if it wnet any further. 'Black 5' 45048, with Farnley men, was sent from Hillhouse shed, but when 6858 arrived, the Low Moor were so attached to it, they refused to uncouple it; neither would the Farnley men, as it had not been handed over to them. Following 'advice' from some by now rather fed-up passengers and the Low Moor then deciding that their shift was up, the inspector eventually detached the 'Grange' himself and the train left some 50mins late, although not before the brake required cords pulling, to allow the 'Black 5' to get the brakes off.

6858 retired to Hillhouse shed, whilst its fate was discussed - scrapping there and then, being one popular solution. It eventually left on 26 August, as a special working via Stalybrigdge and Crewe, to Oxley shed, but not before the police had been called to Hillhouse, to deal with unauthorised sightseers!

Whether we would want a similar occurance with 5972 is, of course, 'debatable', but we and NR will come up with something along the lines discussed earlier.

James Shuttleworth
    WCR

10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Go for it James, I'm sure you would get a full load on several repeat runs.

11. 45581

45581 Part of the furniture

Sunday 29th March...............The Tin Bath!

76079 and 45407 Manchester Vic , Chinley, Hope Valley Sheffield, Barnsley, Penistone, Huddersfield, Hebden Bridge and Summit tunnel to Man Vic.

Past Time railtours I am led to believe.

12. Ian Riley

Indeed!...read previous posts.... \:D/

13. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Well --- I'm not sure, but it must be about three years ago when I first floated this idea and there is nothing better than seeing your inspirations being acted on.

Obviously I will be booking, and I sincerely hope that the tram train idea deosn't prevent re-runs, as I am sure that with the Summer Wine connection, once there has been one satisfactory traverse, there will be a market for several repeats.

How far off is 4871 Ian???

14. Ian Riley

Should be 'strutting her stuff' by autumn!

15. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

I see the new edition of Railway Herald magazine is showing this a a confirmed tour for the 29th March. (Railway Herald Page 12 of 32)

Is this correct as nothing on Past time or uksteam websites?

Neil

16. Ian Riley

'Herald are 'jumping the gun', there are still t's to cross and i's to dot before anything can be confirmed.......... :-#

17. neildimmer

Cheers Ian

Neil =D>

18. neildimmer

Anymore news on this proposed tour yet?
    Neil

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Things don't move that fast, be patient, all good things come to he who waits. :-k

20. sowerbylad

sowerbylad Guest

Wouldnt have minded a trip on this tour, but out of the country. These foreign holidays can be such a bind when they interfere with mainline steam. Might be a one and only with the infernal tram cancer spreading.
    Regards John. (Disappointed)