If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Station masters uniform

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by John Casingena, Mar 18, 2016.

1. John Casingena

John Casingena New Member

Regarding station masters uniforms what jacket did station masters wear in the early 60's late 50's I already have the hat I have seen this is this correct for the era
    http://footplateequipment.co.uk/index.php/footplate-clothing/station-uniforms/singlebreasted.html

But the price is a bit high if I brought an double breasted jacket off say ebay and put BR buttons on it would that do

2. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    In general yes, both summer and winter jackets were issued, single breasted for summer, double for winter. Remember that while lower grades were given rather rough serge uniforms, SMs and other more senior staff got better quality cloth.

3. John Casingena

John Casingena New Member

Thanks because a lot of people I have seen have just brought a cheap black suit jacket some old BR buttons of ebay and made a jacket so I might buy a double breasted black suit jacket of ebay as I already have sole old BR buttons from the 60's and an origional 60's waistcoat but I think it's a porters one

4. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I inherited my Great Uncles Stationmasters uniform many years ago (he retired in the mid 1960's) and the jacket is certainly the same as the one in your link, but it has plain black buttons rather than BR ones. I did get some BR (and GER) buttons from him, but they weren't attached to any clothing!
    I did try to wear the uniform trousers once (when I used to volunteer at the MSLR) but they were the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn, and I actually threw them out. There is also a black waistcoat made from the same colour material , but other than the hat (which is the best part of the set), none of the items mention BR anywhere on them.

5. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am not sure re the finish on this jacket. It does not look snazzy enough for a SM. Watch" train time" when a southern region SM is featured. His jacket looks much more tailored

I assume you are planning to voluntee on a heritage railway. In my avatar I am wearing a normal waistcoat with brass buttons added and a pair of black trousers from Mataland

6. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Many BR uniforms I have seen have a white cloth label about 2in x2in with the clothings size and description and sometimes contract info.

Incidently many family histories have a member who was said to be an SM when they were in reality no more than leading porter

7. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Just checked mine and it is devoid of any labels/markings of any sort. Nothing in the hat either for that matter, though with its gold braid and the words "Station Master" on it (+ gold lion holding wheel logo), it can't really be confused with anything else !

There is a head/shoulders photo of him in uniform, which my Father must have, which I seem to recall has "Station Master" possibly on the lapels of his jacket - will have to try and find it and check up on that.