If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

St. Rollox Shed, Glasgow...50 years ago.

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by 60017, Oct 25, 2014.

1. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Information sought. On Saturday 17th October 1964 (aged 12) I was on a long-weekend shed bashing trip with the then 'Lancaster Model Railway Society.' To my delight, we came across two out of steam A4's at the back of St.Rollox shed, one of which IIRC was 'Golden Plover.' Sadly, my house proud mother threw out my combines and notebooks and I have no memory what the other A4 was, but would love to know, if someone, somewhere has the info.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I know that pain.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I don't know the answer, however, 60031 was allocated to St Rollox until she was withdrawn in Oct 65 so that looks to be a reasonable assumption about one of them. There was only one other A4 allocated to St Rollox and that was 60027 Merlin that was there from 62 to late 64. It then went to St Margarets in Sept 64 for a year before being withdrawn. Maybe it didn't physically move until a month later when you were there but who knows?

4. 60017

Thanks Al. 60027 was actually on Eastfield depot the same weekend so it can be ruled out. It's annoying really 'cos I have clear memories of all my A4 sightings in 64/65/66 apart from 'the other one' at 65B. Appreciate your post.

5. Big Al

What you could do is possibly work backwards by elimination and take a leap of faith that the missing A4 was one of those still around in Scotland. If you have not already done so try starting here:
    http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=600104&type=S&page=alloc

If you are certain about Merlin then my guess is that it was someone's else's Scottish A4 that was stored there for a while.

6. Big Al

Here's a final long shot thought for you. 60023 was a regular on the Glasgow-Aberdeen services. It was based at Ferryhill but was withdrawn at the end of October 1964. A possibility is that for some reason there was a problem at the Glasgow end one day, it was stopped and didn't turn a wheel again. Now I am guessing!
    Cheers
    Alan

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I am currently scanning in some 1966 images - the attached may be of interest

Attached Files:

OldChap likes this.
  8. 60017

Thats the conclusion I arrived at (from various A4 books/class history) prior to posting the thread. She was scrapped at Motherwell from December '64, so even that adds weight to the conclusion. What I really need is someone who saw the loco's on shed that weekend and can say which the other one was.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.