If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SS Hellas Liberty. Maritime Museum in Piraeus Port.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by 60017, May 3, 2017.

1. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Originally the SS Arthur M, Huddell, this 'Liberty Ship' was built in 1943. Converted to a pipe-layer, she was used in the construction of the fuel pipeline under the channel following the Normandy landings. She was laid-up after the war until being chartered to AT & T as a cable-layer 1956 - 57. After that she spent her time in the US Reserve Fleet until 1964. Classified as a barge, she remained out of use until being donated to the Greek Government by the US. She was towed to Piraeus in January 2009 and after repair and conversion work, she opened as a Maritime Museum in the summer of 2010. The whole project is funded and sponsored by private money...mainly from Classification Societies, Shipping Companies and the ICS. Piraeus Port do not change any berthing fee's. I visited the ship last month and found the experience very enjoyable and interesting. Sadly, during the two hours I was on board, there were no other visitors...even though entrance is free.

Two oil fired water tube boilers supplying a triple expansion steam reciprocating engine. 2,500hp giving a speed of around 10 knots on 25 tons of fuel per day.

IMG_0224.jpg IMG_0190.jpg IMG_0191.jpg IMG_0200.jpg IMG_0209.jpg

2. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Any chance of her steaming like the US ones?

IMHO its a pity the UK never asked for one when they were avalible

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Apparently not. In fact, she's been stripped of a lot to keep the other two going.

Last edited: May 3, 2017