If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spring Steel Suppliers?

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by mcjlf1, May 22, 2008.

1. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi All,

Does anybody know of a supplier/stockist of Spring steel - specifically 1.25" x 0.875" rectaungular section - 2 OFF 14' lengths in EN 47 ?

These are for two "Mini buffer" springs on the tender drawgear. The originals we have are rectangualr section, but after 30+ years of sitting in rust and crap are no longer servicable. The alternative of going to a round section wire may be possible, but does raise difficulties.

I've tried a few places but all I got was a sharp intake of breath and a shake of the head... "You'll not get that", "Nobody stocks/makes/uses it anymore".

Thanks in advance
    James

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
  3. 5967

5967 New Member

Try tested spring in west bromwich as they have square section on the shelf their website is www.testedspring.co.uk
    I have found them very helpful in the past and have had square section safety valve spring from them

Nick

4. boldford

boldford Member

Presumably they are coil springs. In which case you will need them wound from what starts as trapezoidal section material.

5. Gary S

Gary S New Member

6. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

It seems that, and after calling what seems like most stockholders in the UK, nobody can supply trapezoidal or rectangular section anymore (unless you want to order 5 ton of the stuff) - certainly in the larger sizes. (I'm not sure about mtl in smaller sizes for safety valve springs etc).

The other option is to have it machined down from the nearest suitable size - but this is prohibitively expensive (for just two springs) and also you still have to buy loads of the material in the first place...

It seems likely that its increasingly going to be hard to get rectangular section springs made in the future... I can't imagine that too many people outside of steam industry use square or rectangular section springs anymore...

James

7. Les_Tap

Les_Tap New Member

Try Merseyside metal services in Birkenhead,Lpool on 0151 650 1600,ask to speak to Jim Higgins and tell him Les from Edwards Engineering put you onto him,Ive been dealing with them for 25 years and have had EN 45 off them in the past to make spinner blades

8. rodlaight

rodlaight New Member

Man Dir
    Hi James,
    We can help so please call us on 01384 636663 Reddifast Steels Ltd
    Small orders are always attended to and we are the leading UK experts on all Spring Steel applications.
    Kind regards,
    Rod
    Rod Laight.
    Man Dir