If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Tynedale extension progress?

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Pesmo, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I notice from a recent edition a local Hexham paper, which included a photo of Slaggyford station covered in scaffolding, that work now seems to be quite advanced on the extension. There doesn't seem to be any recent news about progress on the railways website and was wondering if anyone has set up an extension blog that is publicly accessible?

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not sure if it's the same paper, but there's a write up here

There's also some photos (but not many for such a big project) on the STR Facebook site here

Keith

3. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Hmm! It refers to "the old narrow gauge line from Lintley Halt to Slaggyford".

4. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I notice that the attached piece of good news has appeared on the South Tynedale website in the last couple of weeks. The steelwork for new Canopy at Alston seems to be progressing. Hopefully they will post some pictures of the canopy and new platform soon and update as to progress.

http://www.south-tynedale-railway.org.uk/project-update-exciting-news-and-service-disruption

The extension though must be nigh on complete as the special timetable that they are running currently says that they hope to be running to Slaggyford after 25th May.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  5. ghost

6. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Crikey, I had no idea that the platform canopy was going to be that big. Alston is going to be an impressive station along with the new tea room extension and other work. There are many heritage railways that will be feeling a tad envious of that bright spacious modern new workshop and indoor loco inspection pit. Hopefully Slaggyford station will have kept its charm when it reopens with the extension.

On the basis of those photos and the progress being made, I have just booked a weeks summer holiday in the area. Thanks for posting the open access facebook link.

7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Must go up and have a look around, especially at Alston - I had a quick look at Slaggyford a few days ago, but didn't have time to take any images, so that will be something to remember to do.

8. ghost

9. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

The roof does seem to be of a simpler design using fewer posts compared to the architects document. I wonder if it will be possible to incorporate the clerestory with the straight rather than curved steelwork?

10. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Looking at the photos there does appear to be quite a gap at the ridge with no purlins so maybe the central 'jack' roof is to be incorporated? The big difference appears to be the loss of the curved truss sections, I wonder why there is such a radical change or are these curved steels just decorative and to be added later?

11. ghost

I would assume that the gap in the roof is for the clerestory section as suggested above, however it would seem to my eye that the roof beams are quite heavy duty to the ones shown in the artists impression where the curved beams look like they were doing most of the weight carrying. I suppose it might be possible to add in curved sections afterwards, but there are no signs of any fixings on the uprights, so I would put it down as doubtful.

Keith

12. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I see from the South Tynedale Facebook page (link up thread) that the new Café at Alston seems to have opened. It looks very nice with a modern contemporary feel and looks quite spacious. No mention of it on the main website though.

13. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    It is very contemporary isn't it...although I do like the idea of eating outside by the level crossing!

14. William Fletcher

William Fletcher Member

Anyone know what the score is loco-wise? Didn't their Hunslet 0-4-2T go off for overhaul as part of the project? That can't be far off surely?

15. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I see from the photos on Facebook page that the platform canopy is coming on great guns. It looks about 70% complete.

16. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Their website reports the extension will be opening at the end of July. I'm visiting this weekend for the first time so a little early to see it all completed but looking forward to seeing it all.

17. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

South Tynedale have loaded a few more pics onto the Facebook site (link above) and I have t0 say Slaggyford looks very nice indeed. Much larger than I was expecting. It looks like it only needs the top layer of asphalt to be added to the platform before it can be opened. No doubt a lot more work is needed in the background though. It would be nice to see the track progress. Really looking forward to my visit later this year now.

18. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

There is another photo on the facebook page of what looks to be the completed canopy. The photo taken from the far platform makes it look really good. It will certainly hold off everything that Alston Weather can throw at it.

19. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

20. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I see from the Facebook page that the official Royal opening ceremony for the extension occurred a while ago. However, the main website says that trains are still not running to Slaggyford. Anyone know when they will start ?