If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Devon Railway Transport Gala 14/15 September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Ganger, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Our annual Transport Gala and Behind the Scenes event takes place on 14th & 15th September. On both days there will be a frequent service featuring both passenger and freight trains. Part fitted freight, Milk and Parcels trains are all expected to appear.

There will be the chance to see behind the scenes and look at how the railway operates and at Staverton the main station yard and area towards Bishops Bridge box will be open to the public. In addition to a large display of plant, machinery, rolling stock and equipment used to maintain the permanent way, this area will also provide the chance to obtain some unusual photos of the Staverton and Bishopos Bridge area.

Services will be worked by both steam and diesel traction. From the home fleet 3205, L92 and Class 37 6737 will be in operation on both days. They will be joined by BR(WR) 4-6-0 7827 Lydham Manor which is making a special appearance courtesy of our good friends on the Dartmouth Steam Railway.

The event will provide the very rare chance to see 7827 at work away from Paignton and apart from the visit to us and then the WSR in early October, we have been told that the loco will remain on its home line.

During the event 7827 will make appearances on a variety of workings and will be used to haul both chocolate and cream, and carmine and cream coaching sets. It will also appear on freight, milk and parcels trains, however the highlight will be the double headed runs with 3205 on the Saturday evening.

Keep an eye for more details and timetables on the various SDR sites in due course.

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hmm, Hall and Castle to Plymouth on the Saturday, and a Torbay Express on the Sunday, plus now this. I feel a weekend in the west country may be in order!

3. JohnDevon

JohnDevon New Member

Post removed.

4. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

I'm massively up for this, thrilled to get some chances to enjoy 7827 elsewhere (had some stunning runs with it on the sorry-I-still-habitually-call-it-the-Paignton-&-Dartmouth), and the SDR's event timetables are also impressively varied. Fairly epic weekend with the NYMR diesel gala on Friday, PBR steam gala on Saturday and home to the SDR for Sunday!

5. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Rare indeed for 7827. Only time I ever saw her away from Paignton was at Didcot a couple of years ago.

6. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    7827 and 3205 in a pair working all the evening services on the Saturday, finishing at 2130 is a bit plus factor for me.
    Nice empty roads when going home!

7. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

It's an absolutely brilliant timetable. Will be there for Saturday night and all of Sunday, great mix of things to photograph and travel behind, and it has the bonus of being five minutes from my house.

8. JohnDevon

JohnDevon New Member

9. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Normal fares apply too, which represents great value as it means for the cost of normal full line return ticket you can travel all day on as many trains as you wish. 12 passenger departures each way on Saturday, and 10 each way on Sunday, plus of course additional goods, milk and parcels trains on both days.

10. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    SDR events are always worth going to, and as you say excellent value for money.

11. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    7827 safely offloaded at Buckfastleigh this afternoon, tender will be unloaded in the morning. Just need some great weather to go with a great weekend.

12. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    Looking OK Saturday, not so good Sunday.

13. JohnDevon

JohnDevon New Member

14. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Just back from an excellent visit,as ever,to this gala

Highlights for me were 7827/3205 double heading to Totnes. Really enjoyable . The RM to Ashburton is always good and today the light was fantastic. L92 and a cl37 were all working a punctual and well thought out gala which felt busy but not crowded!

Go tomorrow if only to see the Milk!

Ray Mason

15. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    I didn't see you there Ray! Yes it was a good day, marred only by me falling into the Dart in the afternoon! The Manor looked good on the blood and custard stock, and especially on the milk this afternoon.

16. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    looking forward to seeing the pictures . Couldn't get down this weekend to see 7827

17. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

18. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Here is my video from Saturday, nice to see the Manor in a new setting, and also my first chance to see the pannier in LT livery!

19. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Loved this gala, managed a good mix of travelling and photographing across both days. Really good to see 7827 on the road, and it looked great with the SDR's locations and stock even though obviously noise entertainment wise it wasn't going to be able to match the thrills it offers on Goodrington bank at home. The Cl.37 was great as ever too, and its faded livery is quite evocative. Noticed the timetable was a bit more straightforward than previous recent galas - with the freights taking one of the two-train passenger paths on each outing rather than slotting in as Staverton shuttles as is often the case. Was there a feeling that things needed to be simplified? Also, did I misread the timetable or were the milk and parcels freight the same stock on Sunday?

Had a great year overall at the South Devon, sad the peak season's over for another year but will still pop out for the final diesel service turn of the season in a few weeks.

20. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    The timetable was more simple than some of those run in the past, but still offered plenty of variety. The reason for the freight trains not running short section shuttles and stopping over at Staverton was the lack of space due to the yard being open (housing the display of on track plant) as part of the behind the scenes element of the weekend. On the Sunday the Milk and Parcels did combine to make a longer train for one run. I tried to offer different formations for many of the non-passenger trains operated over the weekend.

7827 has been a real pleasure to have as a visitor. Just over 30 years ago I started my paid railway employment at Paignton and the first job I had was to clean the Manor. Tonight I have just put her to bed for the night on shed at Buckfastleigh after a very enjoyable afternoon driving her on photo charters.

The 37 does look good, however we need to undertake some work on the loco this coming winter and as part of this a full external repaint is planned, so next year D6737 will appear ex works instead of weathered.

Thanks top everybody who supported not only this, but all of our other special events on the SDR this year. We are already working on some plans for more enjoyable events next year......