If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

So whats new at the Bluebell Railway?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by davidarnold, May 25, 2017.

1. 43729

43729 New Member

Would you like some sun cream for that burn?

2. Middle_C

Middle_C New Member

Obviously you did!!!!

3. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Only by reading the email after the event, too late then.

(PS New members 43729, and MiddleC, please read the preceeding posts in a thread before posting comments. The point of the this thread is about social media and lack of updates by the Whats New Bluebell blog in particular, last updated 28th April and we are nearly into June.

The Whats New blog tells of forthcoming events, whilst the email reports on the past. hence my ignorance of the Branchline Weekend. If a blog doesn't refresh I tend to ignore it. Now do you understand?)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not quite - the eNewsletter also has a section on forthcoming events, and the Branchline weekend was promoted on the 22 January; 19 February; 2 April; 30 April issues (maybe others). The event was also promoted on Facebook in advance of happening, as well as here on NatPres. As I have mentioned before, the What's New page is not the only online means of keeping people up to date.

Tom

Paul42 and Wenlock like this.
  5. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Which would be fine if I subscribed to all of the above, which I don't. I am only aware of the email because you quoted it at length.

I rely on one blog only, as do many people, perhaps because of its title Whats New on the Bluebell Railway.

6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

MiddleC has been a member almost as long as yourself and 43729 has been a member for 4.5 years, I'm sure they are well aware of the etiquette of reading earlier postings.

Keith

7. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

So what you are saying is that they have even less excuse?

8. ghost

Nope. Really what I'm saying, and I think others have been saying on this thread, is that you need to lighten up and use other forms of communication if you want the most up to date news.

Keith

Paul42 likes this.
  9. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The sign up to the email newsletter is displayed near the top of the whats new page of the .co.uk site.
    There is also a link to events at the top of the What's New page which lists the events for the year, and a links to the main visitor site which lists all events, plus facebook and twitter pages.

A member of this forum lists special events for all railways on this thread ( which is at the top of the gala and events section) http://www.national-preservation.com/threads/2017-special-events.807179/.

10. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Which begs the question, why bother with a Whats New blog at all if ,as you suggest, you have to bypass it, drill down into other links, other sites, subscribe to emails etc.

Most potential customers I would argue aren't computer nerds, or members of Nat Pres, they probably are silver surfers like myself with one Bookmarked link per Heritage Railway and if that Blog isn't updated they will move on to one that is and be inspired to visit that attraction.

It is not a question of lightening up as you put it, I support the Bluebell, visit twice a year with the grandson and subscribe to their Fund raising. As a supporter I would just like see them giving a better account of themselves in promoting the Railway on the Internet, and am disappointed by their falling numbers post the extension opening.

11. ghost

So bookmark the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/bluebellrailway/) instead - it will give you news plus links to the newsletters etc as they are made available.

Simple really, no-one said you had to be a nerd.

Keith

12. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Look Keith please read my post before replying.

This is NOT about me. I am asking you to put yourself in the place of the average punter who looks up information about the Bluebell. If they don't get what they want on the main Blog then they probably won't perservere with searching the Internet further.

A well maintained Blog or set of Blogs linked to one page is the way forward and costs nothing.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  13. ghost

I did read your post - please do not patronise me.

The point is that the place that most people look for information these days (especially people in their 20s/30s/40s - prime Bluebell customer targets or 'average punters' to use your term) is Facebook.

A potential visitor who happens to hit the main .com site is given all the information they need to visit and also has the links to Facebook and Twitter - therefore there is no problem. The same social media links are on the .co.uk site.
    I'm not sure what other information the 'average punter' needs apart from the timetable/fares/facilities/how to get there/what's on - all of which is available on the .com site. I don't see what the issue is.

Anyone who hits the .co.uk looking for timetable information is redirected to the main .com site when they hit the timetable link. As I understand it the .co.uk is not aimed at the 'average punter' - it is aimed at the enthusiast market, but there are redirects for the important links.

You seem determined to be right so I'll just leave the thread at this point as you're not listening to what anyone is telling you.

Keith

Jamessquared likes this.
  14. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    I'm not all that keen on blogs. Most that I have tried seem to run very slowly on my iPad. Whereas Facebook and websites seem to load much more quickly.

15. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver

For some reason Google seems to prefer the .co.uk site rather than .com

Nonetheless since that site is above the blog I believe the "average punter" would probably click on the top entry which would lead to the website rather than scroll down to the blog.

16. 43729

43729 New Member

I hate to point this out, but I've been posting obnoxious and unhelpful comments about your views since post 12...... might i suggest you re read this thread :p

ghost likes this.
  17. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    An observation - as a member of the demographic listed above, I do not look for marketing information on Facebook. I will occasionally look at the Facebook site for an attraction, but only where googling the attraction leads me to Facebook.

There are plenty of excellent preserved railway websites, with and without blogs. Sometimes - Bluebell, WSR - a railway is blessed with an excellent "unofficial" site in addition to the main one. Ultimately, though, what I want is to be able to find the key information - when, what, how much - quickly and easily. Other stuff is secondary but interesting, and may make me hang around longer.

18. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Oh the one where you said that the answer to a poorly maintained social media presence was to have a cup of tea in the railways cafe? Sorry I didn't take that seriously.

PS I hate Facebook. Because everytime I open it I get loads of push notifications asking do you know XY orZ when I clearly do not. I have tried turning off every box but still they come. If anyone can come up with an answer I promise to sign up for the Bluebell page and not bother you guys again!

19. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Well, as you don't need a facebook account to view the Bluebell's page, try viewing it without logging in. Whether your computer has any cookies fro face book that will still identify you, I don't know, but I haven't an account and never get get "push notifications" (I don't even know what they are...).

Hope that helps!

Also try checking out the links at the top of the "What's new" page - I quick check of some of them revealed them to be up to date - including the Events one

Steve B

20. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Thanks Steve B, the links do work and I've finally found what I wanted, Kids for a Quid is on for half term , that'll please my grandson!

Steve B likes this.