If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Snowdon Mountain Railway.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 45669, Aug 25, 2014.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Afternoon All,

Whilst in North Wales earlier this month I took advantage of a clear day and took a trip up to the top of Snowdon. Some pictures are now on Flickr, together with pictures from 2009 and 1974 (when steam was still king). If anyone would like to have a look, here's the link :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157627031600861

Hope that they're of interest.

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, these were great - I liked the ones showing the train on the mountainside with the cliff beneath, and the ones in bad weather were very atmospheric. Not in my itinerary for this year's trip to North Wales, but will be next year!

John

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Thanks for posting. Haven't been on the SMR for just over 40 years but the prospect of diesel haulage puts me off a repeat trip.

4. 45669

Retired
    It's probably worth paying the extra to have a ride with steam, not only because it's steam, but because, from what I could see, the carriages used with the steam locos are much more spacious with 2 + 1 seating instead of the five a side with interlocking knees used on the diesel trains. The exception on the diesel trains is the bottom end compartment which is slightly narrower that the others so only has four a side. It is also wider in the other direction so much more room to stretch one's legs.

We had to go with diesel because that was all that was still available on the afternoon we were there.

5. 45669

Retired
    See my reply to nanstallon. Some of the trains are still steam.

6. nanstallon

Retired
    Is it possible to ensure steam haulage - do they tell you in advance which trains will be steam worked?

John

7. 45669

Retired
    Yes, I think so. Our daughter got there first and bought the tickets so I didn't get a chance to ask. However, their website says that steam runs three times a day, so they must know which ones they are. We saw one going down as we went up, and then we saw one coming up as we went down. That was the 15.30 departure from Llanberis.

8. nanstallon

Retired
    Thanks, 45669, for that - having looked at the website, don't know why I hadn't already done so, I see that you can book a steam trip; costs £35 plus £3.50 booking fee. Incidentally, I never quite understood why you have to pay booking fees when you are already paying the price. This is common, if not universal, with theatre bookings and, if you'll excuse me going into grumpy old man mode, something which has crept in and should be stopped.

John

9. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Quite right. I can understand a booking fee if they're using a ticket agent but organisations who charge a booking fee for using their own website are taking the pee IMO.

10. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Only three? :( Gone are the days when you could stand at the summit and see a procession of steam coming up the mountain.

11. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Too expensive, too uncomfortable, and rarely any steam. Dim diolch!!

12. nanstallon

Retired
    Yes, I remember the summer of 1976 - I couldn't afford the fare (I think it was two quid!), but enjoyed hugely the walk up from Llanberis with steam trains passing by every few minutes as it was a hot day in July and they were running at full capacity.

John

13. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    Steam journeys aren't as common now as many think.
    Booking fees is a normal charge nowadays to cover extra work involved checking online communications, reserving seats to adjust the loadings accordingly.
    Unfortunately if people want to guarantee a certain service etc it is the norm now. Some are getting expensive re theatres and similar. One restaurant I use when in centre of London now has a booking fee, only way to guarantee a table at time and date you want. Creeping in every where now.

14. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Booking fees serve two purposes from the vendors perspective. They are VAT exempt so allow the vendor to keep all of the fee and they allow the headline fee to be lowered thus encouraging interest in the product/service. They are in most cases not cost reflective.

You must have rather more money in your pocket than me if you are prepared to pay a booking fee at a restaurant.

goldfish likes this.
  15. 45669

Retired
    That's why I included the 1974 pictures on Flickr along with the more recent ones.

When I was there in 2009, the Chief Engineer told me that the profits from the diesel trains help to pay towards keeping steam alive.

16. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

I haven't been on it since it became mostly diesel. And I also remember fondly walking up the mountain in the 1970's to the sound of the frequent procession of steam trains. I doubt the diesel ones enhance the experience in the same way, even though I like some diesels.

17. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    It's the same with many public houses at New Years Eve, charging tickets to be there even if you are a regular, I don't agree with that, unless entertainment and food is put on, but at many it isn't, but they are still full. Goes to show that if people are willing to pay they are not going to stop.
    Re Restaurants and booking fees, nothing to do with available amount of money, I pay the reservation fee if it is for a special occasion, as in the case for some that do charge, the food and service is excellent and are often Michelin starred or other high quality establishments, not the type you can obtain a table just by turning up as are often booked up months away.
    You do notice a difference in quality but I don't go to cordon bleu sized portions. :)

18. nanstallon

Retired
    I can't help thinking that these extra charges reflect the apathy of the British sheep who don't seem to mind being fleeced! We need a few more awkward types who ask 'why?'.

John

19. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Same as those who happily pay a "service charge". Any establishment that advertises their prices as "including a service charge" doesn't get my custom and those who declare service charges to be "optional" allow me to exercise my option by not paying them.

Chris86 likes this.
  20. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Last visited the area in 2005. Went for a walk part way up with my good lady and our dog. Had to wait for two uphill diesel workings before we got to experience steam. The sound of the diesels did not enhance the ambience.