If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Single Line token bags/pouches

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Azrall, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Azrall

Azrall Member

Commercial Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi All,

Does anyone know of any Single Line token bags or pouches that are for sale? I know some appear at auctions from time to time, but wondered if anyone knew if some were made to order or knew of any surplus to requirements,

cheers,

Allan

2. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Allan, when you say a token bag or pouch, I take it you mean a key token rather than a staff or tablet? Tokens frequently turn up at auction with the original hoop (like a tennis racket) and I get the impression that they almost detract from the token as most token collectors don't want the hoop. The hoops also turn up separately.

3. Azrall

Azrall Member

Commercial Manager
    Yes, I mean a Key token, one that will sit in a pouch or like you say in the original hoop.

Thanks for the info though, I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers!

4. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    We've just had a batch of new token pouches made (you can tell they're brand new, because they're an arse to get the buckle done up in a rush!); I'll see if I can find out where we got them from.

5. Q1

Q1 Member

Retired Civil Servant
    Interesting. I would also be grateful to know where you sourced your new pouches from. The ELR is looking for a source of new pouches.

Many thanks in anticipation.

6. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    I know a Saddler on Mid-Wales made a batch for Railtrack a few years back......Llynon Saddlery

7. Jim Barrett

Jim Barrett New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm a saddler, and have just bought a token bag and hoop with the intention of making a copy. I need to sort out a source for the hoops, but I can make up the leather parts, and am happy to make copies of different patterns. The one I have has a wire rope hoop so I suspect it may be fairly modern. I need to measure it to find out what token it is for. I'll post back once I've done that to see if anyone can help.

Cheers,

Jim

Biggles633, gwalkeriow and Wenlock like this.
  8. Jack Enright

Jack Enright New Member

Retired
    A rather late reply to your post, Jim, but I hope it may help. All the token and tablet pouches I've seen and used had a wire rope hoop, covered with leather. I assume the wire rope was for strength and holding the hoop in shape, and the leather was to stop the wire rope chewing people's hands up - especially if a few strands frayed.

Best regards,

Jack

9. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Just caught up with this, Jack and was going to say the same as you. The metal hoops, which we use on the SVR, are just to make it easy for the signalman/fireman to catch the token, which is held in the "handle" part of the "tennis racquet" by a wing nut screw to secure it. The pouch in the leather versions was there for the same reason, to protect the token. Its size was dependent on the token used.. They were very robust, and lasted decades. I would imagine any saddler could knock one up in his sleep.