If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Should lines withhold loco roster information at galas?

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 47406, Apr 19, 2009.

1. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Hi All

I know this question/argument appears in various gala threads across the year, but just wondering what the general consensus of opinion might be?

Does the current economic crisis make a roster far more necessary if people are to fork out what little spare cash they may have to travel hundreds of miles to find out that for example "their required" loco was only working on the Saturday and they arrived on the Sunday?

I know this might apply more to Steam events than Diesel these days...

Discuss...

Best Regards

2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    A roster is always necessary in order to advise crews their times of duty and allocated engines but is an internal working document of the heritage line operating the event.

The question I think you intended to ask was " Should a ( locomotive ) roster be made acvailable to the public in advance ... etc" to which my response would be yes.

However I would qualify that by saying that I would expect the advance information on t'internet to simply note which locomotives are working on particular days but the detailed roster only be available in exchange for money - either as part of a guide or as a stand-alone document.

As a photographer I am happy to buy the SVR rosters ( costing £5:00 IIRC ) each time I attend a Gala so that (a) I contribute financially to the event and (b) can work out where to photograph depending on the locomotive workings and trainsets in relation to the light qualty on the day(s) of my visit.

The SSSII team has produced a nice guide ( complete with locomotive details, train times and rostered locos ) for the cheap price of £3:00 - a bargain in that respect and well worth the money even at twice the price.

3. MrPerfection

MrPerfection New Member

I would like to add as Chairman of the 6880 Betton Grange Society, that we have printed 5,000 copies of our souvenir guide for SSSII and we want to sell them all!

As Fred Kerr has said, it is excellent value. To be honest many people have said it should be £5 not £3 when you look at the contents. If you went to a Rock/Pop concert you would be charged even more for something with less info and less pics.

So please come along to the event if you haven't already and get your Loco/Train Diagrams buy buying the Guide.
    Help us to bring back the Grange Class and have a really great time too!

4. Columbine

Columbine Member

I absolutely agree, but with the qualification that perhaps the full working timetable is un-necessary for the photographer because it includes too much detail. What I need to know is the service times for passenger, freight and light engine; loco's rostered for that service and which way around they are pointing, chimney/tender/bunker first.

I don't know of a railway which does that, many publish the full WTT, which is too detailed, others do an enhanced PTT and publish the chimney/tender/bunker first data separately. Notwithstanding this the concept of publishing a timetable which is useful for the photographer is a good one which should be welcomed.

What I would like to see is the provision of viewing areas where photographers and other interested onlookers could watch the action out on the line in safety but I think we are a little way from that yet.

Regards

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Rosters should be made availible, i for one generally attend gala's more often than not (though not always) to see and travel behind something i haven't done so before, im not going to waste my time and money unless i know i should* be able to get what i came for If railway X said they were having a gala but didn't say what in it or when i would not be attending for the fact it could be regular stuff i have seen before while in the meantime im missing an event at railway Y down the road that had something i would of like to have seen.

*on the day problems and farces allowing.

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    This may not be too popular with some however; the SVR Engine House at Highley provides one such facility with good views both ways, covered accommodation in poor weather and a handy supply of refreshments that should satisfy the most critical of photographers.

Despite this facility I have yet to hear many photograsphers praise the SVR or acknowledge the benefit which the site offers; in fact I hear many complaints suggesting that many would rather it not be there as it spoils their phototographs without appreciating that the SVR exists to service many other interests . I, for one, am grateful for the facility and try to use it whenever I am on the line for at least some of my images - how about other photographers ?.

7. Loco rosters should always be made available. The information needs to be as comprehensive as possible and I hope everyone is aware of the huge amount of work required to compile such information, and, to remember sometimes, it is not always possible to know all the answers, before going to print. Or even on the day.

Something is bound to change after going to press, so the printed copy should be augmented with regular updates on the internet, twitter, wap, and the like. Purchasers of the printed copy need to be reminded of the (possible) lack of topicality of information, and also the whereabouts of (free) updates.

We, the public, must also understand that our need for information may not be met, and we must risk some disappointment.

That said, I will continue to aim to provide as much information about WSR rosters and locos on www.wsr.org.uk and @wizzertweet

Steve
    (WSW)

8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    with regard to the engine house , there are those who are not in favour of it's design but I have had no complaints as to it impact on photography and indeed on last years dukedog and truro charters it was used as a vantage point on a number of occasions and well received it was too

On Gala days given the time and effort that goes into orchestrating the event it is only fair that loco rosters are provided at a premium and the SVR's WTT is an excellent resource I've used to plan my day. I don't enjoy travelling on Gala Days but they are events I like to lineside whereas I've had at least four trips to the SVR as a traveling passenger already this year and on a quieter day it really is a very relaxing experience

9. Columbine

Columbine Member

The Engine House position has great virtue at present ... but ... when I was there last October I noticed that a shrubbery had been planted in front of the roadway to the Engine House itself and along the lineside in between the road and the track. Because of this I do wonder just for how long its virtues will remain.

Regards

10. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    If I have an issue, it's the difference between the way that the issue is approached for steam and diesel galas. To put it bluntly, it seems to me that the diesel supporters have effectively bullied the railways into providing roster info in advance and for nothing - "Otherwise we won't turn up". Steam fans, on the other hand, get charged for this information, and sometimes it is only available on the day. It's the difference in treatment between the two groups of passengers, and the consensus that treating them differently is correct and acceptable, that I feel is wrong.

11. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

The nnr published an excellent one for that's yer lot, a nice colour guide with all the times locos etc
    Also information on the locos and the railway itself all for £2.50

Very useful before the gala but not during :-#

12. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have to say that there are too many among us who don't contribute to the cost of running a gala; just want to take photos and won't buy a ticket. I believe that a roster/WTT should be available in good time, to enable planning, but people should expect to pay for it.

John

13. midwalesstokie

midwalesstokie New Member

I went on Saturday without a roster and only the timetable off the internet. I wanted a roster but after seeing the size of it decided against buying it as I didn't want to carry it round all day. I bought one at the end of the day so that I could plan next weekend when I intend to go again. The guide is a nice production, good pictures and everything but all I want it for is the loco roster. I'm not bothered about all the loco info or an article that's been in Steam Railway already, I just want to be able to travel behind the loco's I haven't had before. I spent all day travelling on the trains on Saturday and will again this weekend but would have much preferred a sheet of paper rather than a book.

Going back to the rock / pop concert analogy, it's a bit like attending Reading festival knowing that x y z bands are playing but having no idea what times they are on. If you buy a ticket they give you this info and I don't see why all railways can't do the same.

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I've just read the same thread on wnxx by the same author.
    :-k :-k :-k :-k

15. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    I didn't know I wasn't allowed to do that, apologies

Andrew

16. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I AGREE ! Bought my ticket and brochure on Sunday - good value all round IMHO. Got fed-up of people at photo spots and on stations and trains asking to look at my roster, peering over my shoulder or asking endless questions on what loco was on what train. I wanted to shout " it's only three ******g quid - go and buy one!

17. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I totally agree with both comments. Two or three quid is a reasonable price to pay for a roster/WTT if your don't intend to travel at a gala.

18. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    I had that experience too... I would happily have paid £5 for the guide on Saturday.

19. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    Where possible, I always like to have a look at tts/loco rosters before I go to galas, ideally from the internet to start with; but will always buy a programme when attending.
    The style produced by the WSR/GCR are ideal and reasonably priced --those from the SVR are probably ott for the majority of people, and bulky to carry around.

20. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Holders of a day rover ticket should be issued with a free roster for the validity of said ticket as a minimum.

Glossy brochures etc for those not travelling/contributing otherwise to the cost of staging the event,I am fine with.

However,more railways with a good line up etc,should see roster being published in advance as an advertising tool to encourage more to travel.

I do wonder how many £22s SSS2 lost by not freely publishing rosters in advance versus how much profit they have raised by selling £3 brochures especially if they only sell 50% of those produced.