If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Shed 47, Lothalmond, Fife

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by FearOfManchester, Oct 4, 2017.

1. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    just found this preservation group online that operates on the old Lothalmond RNSD military railway (a munitions storage depot for rosyth) , next to the Scottish vintage bus museum. I'm always surprised that I keep finding heritage railways that I never knew about, the fife area seems to have a fair few of them, thought I'd share their info on here:
    https://www.shed47.org/
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Shed47RRG/about/?ref=page_internal

A relatively small operation but they've been there 20 years, they operate a mix of industrials (rustons etc) and have a small turntable. Rather interesting place it seems, i've never seen a small operation like that using colour light signalling, and I'm more than envious of their choice of S&T machine, a spotless red series 3 Land Rover no less!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Martin Perry likes this.
  2. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ahh yes! The neighbours to the FHR :)

They are actually a extension to the SRPS and much of the volunteers and stock are from the SRPS collection though in recent years they have been getting stock of their own, most recently they have acquired 0-4-0 NCB No.29 from Prestongrange, which itself was a locomotive that was native to the West Fife area, close to Shed 47. So not only do we have an engine 'going home', but more steam coming to Fife to make up for the loss of a certain A4 and K4.

3. David Elvy

David Elvy New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I only just found this forum by accident so this is my first post.

I volunteer at Shed 47; we are an entity in our own right, only last week we had our first official visit by the HRA after joining the association. Some of our standard gauge stock is indeed on loan from the SRPS and yes some of us are members of the SRPS as well but we are two separate organisations.
    We are part of the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in whose grounds we are based and with whom all our operating days are coordinated

We also have a narrow gauge line which we hope will be able to offer visitors rides later this year.

The Shed 47 group is not another heritage railway, our aims are the preservation and restoration of our railway history, providing passenger rides is secondary to our main aims.

Happy to answer any questions people may have.

David

Romsey, jnc, 30854 and 1 other person like this.