If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sha Tau Kok Railway - 0-4-4T

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by SpudUk, Jul 30, 2014.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello Folks,

Does anyone know the current state of the ex-Sha Tau Kok Railway 0-4-4T that was imported in 2007 to Collection X/the VoR? I have an affinity for the locomotives, and they wouldn't look out of place on the VoR.

Thanks

Chris

2. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer

Hi Chris,

Last time that I saw Bagnall 2228, was about 4 years ago. It was stored at Aberystwyth at the VoR Depot along with some other locos of the Rampton collection. It was unrestored and very rough. It is probably still there, but I don't know about any restoration taking place since.

As Mr. Rampton is rather fond of Bagnall locomotives, there is the possibility that it is close to the front of the queue for rebuilding, I for one, would like to think so as it is a very fine machine.

Cheers

Alan

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Thanks for the info Alan, hopefully she'll be near the front of the queue. I too am fond of Bagnall locomotives, and the Sha Tau Kok locomotives especially.

4. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

I remember seeing her in the same place at about the same time. However, she wasn't there on my visit to Aberystwyth in January this year. However, a new storage shed has appeared at Capel Bangor in recent years so she might be hiding in there. Indeed, there is photographic evidence that at least one "Collection X" loco is there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/10443877204

5. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Instructive to compare the number of locos going into the Rampton empire and percentage that are restored and running, as compared to the equivalent number and percentage going into Statfold. Also a comparison of openness of information between the two!

6. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    And, perhaps, the amount of money available for restorations. I do admire the Rampton collection, even if it is secretive and these locos may never run again, they have at least been saved from the cutters torch for future generations.

7. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

As I understand it (and this is pure gossip) part of the reason for secrecy with the Rampton collection is due to the well meaning but arrogantly incompetent intervention of some individual in the very early days of the collection.

Since when they have decided to do things their own way and keep schtum.

If at the end of it we have a museum, a workshop turning out a percentage of overhauled locos and an enhanced VofR where some examples can be run, I think everyone should be pleased. And, if not, at least as said above the locos have not been scrapped and are now in the UK.

Bramblewick likes this.
  8. meeee

meeee Member

If you read some of the criticism the collection has had on this forum you can probably understand why they would rather just get on with it and keep schtum.

I think if i have invested significant amounts of time and money rejuvenating a very run down narrow gauge railway only to have a load railway enthusiasts criticize everything i'd be less inclined to let them know whats going on.

Tim

9. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    The VoR is well on the way to becoming one of the leading narrow gauge railways in the country and developments going on in the background may well push it to the front when they come to final fruition.

10. rheidol

rheidol Member

Railwayman
    Well technically anything other than a Rheidol Tank or Palmertson looks out of place on the Rheidol! The locomotive, previously stored in the yard at Aberystwyth is now stored undercover at the VoR. There are no plans for it for the time being.

Will Smith
    VoR

AndrewT likes this.
  11. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Unless somebody wants to build a replica Rheidol or Davies & Metcalfe tank :p