If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sat 15th March, The Cumbrian Ranger.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 3, 2014.

1. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Absolutely, Ralph. See you Saturday!

Peter

2. charterplan

charterplan Member

Its a shame it is not doing the Blackburn leg first, as I was going up to watch it climb up to Horton in Ribblesdale, but now wont be as good coming from the other way as its downhill, and dont really wish to go further up the line, but ah well think it will be another one I will miss photographing

3. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Hi guys. I've been watching this thread with some interest as I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would have rung VT about my posting about the timings. The destination is Carlisle and the arrival time was stated as 1241. Nothing I posted made detrimental comments about that did it? I thought this forum was all about we enthusiasts chewing the fat about timings and performance and what is and isn't possible. If it's not then I won't bother reading or posting anymore.
    My point was picked up by other members - nowhere in the letter accompanying the tickets did it mention a change of route and indeed Ben challenged me to post the timings for a Northbound S&C outward journey that were different to the ones he said they had at VT - that turned out to be via Shap as I rather think my post implied it would be.
    Like some of the members who posted to this thread I was really looking forward to Crewe start with a northbound S&C and Southbound Shap as it rarely happens these days. Other promoters of my acquaintance have said in the past, though I don't have sworn statements, that the timings make it very difficult unless the train leaves Crewe well before eight o'clock to ensure daylight running in the Autumn, Winter or Spring.
    Ben should also be aware that a lot of us who have been travelling on UK mainline steam tours for over thirty years know a lot of people, locomotive owners, support crew, drivers, and operational guys from the TOCs and NR.
    The A4s and Carlisle could have something to do with the gauging train that came into Platform 4 from the south via Shap on the day of the 15th(?) Feb CME. They might have tested every platform in every direction or just made assumptions from a northbound pass of Platform 4. Anyone know about that? Be careful how you word your post!!!

spicer21, 45305 and Drysdale like this.
  4. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    The full timings are up on uksteam now and not surprisingly the return timings as far as Farington Jc are the same as the Winter CMEs. 1440 departure with an arrival back in Crewe 10 minutes later at 1937 which is fine for those of us with service trains to catch south.

5. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Just had another letter from VT this morning.

Ben explains at length the problem of gauging at Carlisle and the extensive efforts made by all parties to overcome the problems. Despite these, Bittern cannot go into Carlisle station on Saturday.

So Bittern will come on as planned at Crewe for the 'sprint along the WCML to Carnforth.' There, 47773 will come on instead and haul us to Carlisle, as 'unfortunately there is nowhere closer to Carlisle to detach Bittern'.

The return run will be Bittern Carlisle to Crewe as planned.

Ben concludes with the assurance that every alternative was pursued but this is the best solution available at this stage. A voucher for £20 will be given to each passenger against a future tour.

Shame to miss the climb over Shap but three-quarters of a loaf is, definitely better than no bread, I suppose.

Peter on a foggy morning in Manchester
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com

6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes there is. Branch right at Upperby Bridge Junction where Bittern could be detached and the DL added to take the train into Carlisle. But I bet the issue is that this track is not cleared for a train carrying passengers. 2014...red tape....GRRR!

7. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

Over the last few days we have tried everything. I apologise for being snappy, but it has been rather stressful trying to sort this tour out.

We were not able to secure goods-line authority to use Upperby. This excluded us from detaching in the sidings, continuing around the curve and detaching there or even making the stop at Appleby and ditching Carlisle all together.

We explored several other options including detaching Penrith, but were not successful.

8. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Which is probably what Bittern E+C will do anyhow or is it going to go to Carlisle via Settle from Carnforth? Admirable determination to ensure Bittern is still involved but surely the sensible option would have been to use 46115

9. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

No it wouldn't. The whole point of this tour was to be hauled by Bittern, and that will be 75 per cent achieved.

Peter in Manchester

10. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

How many other locos will be persona non grata at Carlisle now...............will this become WCR "exclusive" territory?

11. Big Al

Take the valences off Bittern and I suspect she would be fine. Either that or never use a station that has a curve in it!

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No it wouldn't, the tour was Bittern to and from Crewe, this is no doubt being the reason why many of us booked on it. OK so we have lost the northbound over Shap, but having had 46115 over Shap several times recently, that not would have been a favourable alternative.

To help any that have not received the letter a copy is attached, this explains the situation very fully.

Attached Files:

13. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

We'll see if 60009 is permitted on 29th March however it was 60009 that was initially barred in February, was it not?

14. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Pity it has to be 47773 from Carnforth to Carlisle - 46115 fits into Carlisle station and has run to from Carnforth to Carlisle in pretty much the same timings.

15. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Is there any detail on where at Carlisle Bittern will attach to the train for the S&C run? Presumably not at the platform?

16. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Surely it's the Valances ! Disappointing, but still a having a trip over the S&C with a garter blue A4 is still worth the trip. And double headed traction on the return from Crewe, if Bittern is still scheduled to go to Tyseley.

17. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Like others I booked for a rare northern trip for 60019 ,not 46115 to Carlisle yet again....

Anyone know which way around the stock is as now the northbound bound run will be less entertaining than the return,please?

Also will 47773 be strumming away inside 4464 on the return, as suffered on the 1015 tour last September or will it make its own way to Crewe?

18. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Interestingly she's been in and out of Temple Meads with no problems and the curves are much tighter there off either platform used for steam.

19. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Will 47773 be shadowing the return leg ? Or on the back ?

20. Big Al

That's a very helpful letter and the £20 credit seems a generous offer. That's about a fifth of the basic fare is it not? Once again, by being open about what they have done VT places itself in a position where only the hard nosed would feel aggrieved.