If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Safety glass

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by MayBe, Nov 5, 2010.

1. MayBe

MayBe New Member

Trivial question, probably... what are the requirements (e.g. BS / ISO numbers) for glass to be used in loco cab windows? Am helping to restore Fowler 0-4-0DM "May" at Swanage and we need new glass in 11 of the 12 windows; some of these panes are quite large (around 60cm x 55cm). As a short-term solution, is some type of Perspex suitable / legal?

Also, does anyone know any good suppliers of the rubber seal that goes around aluminium window frames - loads of different sections exist, so ideally I need to find a supplier that has the appropriate ones in stock, rather than having to make a custom mould.

Thanks!
    Derek TP
    www.may-restoration.co.uk

2. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is there a legal requirement for safety glass in loco windows? I can see there being a practical reason in terms of minimising damage if something strikes or is thrown at the loco (particularly the latter!) but in a small slow-moving shunter I don't think bird-strikes will be a problem.
    If there is no legal requirement for a BS/EN/ISO standard/Kitemarked glass then ordinary laminated glass from any local supplier will suffice. Perspex is difficult to keep clean without scratching it and will eventually discolour as well.

Regarding rubber mouldings - try a vehicle restorer's magazine such as 'Practical Classics' - they often advertise suppliers of window and other rubber mouldings.

3. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    I am presuming that you are thinking in terms of glass 3/6" to 1/4" thick fastened in an oval shaped rubber moulding (called 'Glazing Seal') with channels in the widest dimension, one to take the glass and the other set it on the cab metal panel, and also a groove on one of the sides to take the 'filler strip'.

If so, work out the size of the glass (allowing for the 'thickness' of the glazing seal) and get a glass merchant to cut it in ordinary plate glass. Then get them to send it away for heat treatment to toughen it. We used a glass merchant at Hemel Hempstead to do this. This process results in a glass that it like the olde vehicl windscreens that if struck by a sharp object it 'crazes' and crumbles into small bits that go everywhere. Laminated glass is too rigid to stand up to vibration. This type of glass is required by law for vehicle windscreens because although it might be broken, it stays together and you can still see through it. However, I think you will find that all other windows in current vehicles still have old fashioned toughened glass.

For glazing seal contact kopak-walker.co.uk who are based in High Wycombe (01494-533251). They sell it in several sizes, also the filler strip, in 100' coils. You really need a special tool to fit the filler strip.

Tip - wipe the channel where the glass goes in with 'Fairy Liquid' to make fitting of the glass easier, also the groove for the filler strip.

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    AFAIK laminated glass is perfectly acceptable and costs little more than ordinary plate glass. It's what we always use and HMRI have never commented adversely. Any reputable glazier will supply it cut to your dimensions. It is going to be marginally wider than the plate glass equivalent because of the plastic film.. ie a nominal 6mm is going to be 3mm + 0.2mm + 3mm = 6.2mm and that 0.2mm can be annoying if the fit is close! You'll find it harder to get a thinner laminated glass, though. I certainly wouldn't bother with perspex unless you have a load going free but it will do as an alternative till it gets scratched or otherwise damaged.

As for the sealing strip, there are plenty of suppliers. Try Googling but http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/index.asp is probably as good a place as any to start your search.