If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rules of the photo challenge

Discussion in 'Photography' started by simon, Feb 8, 2007.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I tried setting it to original size - and your image was fine but others were off the screen.

so I have reset it - sorry out of ideas now.

The challenge seems to be having a bit of a quiet week - a few more photos and comments would be appreciated.

2. twa_dogs

twa_dogs Well-Known Member

Wage slave
    Simon,

should we set some physical limits for future entries so that you can set fotopic to original size so it displays as intended?

Steve

3. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

I have noticed one user (a Mr G. Astley) has been abusing the Fotopic site to wage his own little vendettas against myself and The Wise One, who have been the regular comment makers on there. If this continues I will have no option but to issue a warning. The site is for improving photography skills and suggesting improvements. If you have a problem with one user or another please keep it to the forum via the PM system or in a thread if you so wish.

Thank you, and please keep those photos coming in, not only are they hopefully helping the takers improve but I am also picking up tips myself.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I noticed only one comment Stepney, hardly a vendetta surely?

5. stepney60

No but I decided to nip it in the bud before it started. Maybe "issues" is a better word than "vendettas" but the basic fact still stands that it should have been done on the forum not the Fotopic

6. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

He has a point. The smart thing to do here was not to press the shutter...... is hardly constructive criticism and is rather rude. It would be nice to see some of the photos of The Wise One

7. The Wise One

The Wise One New Member

Photo Challenge Comments

I would like to echo Stepneys sentiments here, though I'm not sure whether one ill-judged remark constitutes a vendetta (maybe in Texas...). Commenting on the phots is fine; using others' comments as a foil or contrast to one's own is fine; commenting on other commenters' style of criticism or bona fides is, in my view, not what the challenge is about. This is especially so when not one word of analysis or advice is offered to the photter during the process. Ok, that's enough, I'll get off the soapbox now.

8. simon

have been away so only just caught up on this thread.

If people want the coment deleted please let me know.

I think one comment like that in 12 weeks is not bad really, but happy to delete.

9. stepney60

I don't know about The Wise One myself simon but I personally have no objection to the comment remaining as it does nothing other than show that this fellow is quite happy to hide behind Internet anonymity without putting up any of their own evidence to show they are necessarily as better photographer than I or the Wise one are. All in all it makes him look a bit of a fool so keep it there.

Of course if you are out there Mr Astley I'd be more than happy to hear from you your reasons why my photographs are (in your opinion) poor and sugegst ways I can improve them. To put it in blunt terms, put up or shut up!

I do think a future rule though of commenting only with your username (as most people do anyway) is a good idea though. No "hiding" then

10. Phil Jones

Phil Jones Member

Third yr Psy Uni Student
    To be fair Stepney, Mr Astley does have a point. The photographs on your page are nothin more than "another fotopic site". Alot of your images are little more than bog standard record shots. Without sounding rude, I had a look at your pictures from the Llangollen gala and got bored after the first few images.
    As for the comments by Wise One who stil hides behind a screen name, it is rather rude and not helpful to anyone. You remind me of Cockeny wanderer somewhat.
    In your defence Stepney, your cristism was sensible and your suggestions did try to the improve the photo which of course is the aim here.
    You must take into consideration that it is alot easier to sit there and point out problems with a picture than to actually take a good picture standing in a field/platform.

11. stepney60

Indeed I understand your point Phil, hnce I usually post some of my own up for criticism to help imrpove mine (which I believe I am slowly doing). Obviously I don't claim to be the best photter ever, but I feel a tag of "poor" is harsh from this chap. I think what riles me most is the fact this man has not posted any of his own or offered criticism to improve, just used it as a cheap shot.

12. The Wise One

The Wise One New Member

For the attention of Matt Spencer and Phil Jones

It's good to see that the old 'take the quote out of context' routine is still alive and well. Not a journalist or anything, are you, Matt? OK, Let's go back to the original phot (remember that?) and I'll see if I can help you and Phil Jones understand the point I was making. As a successful photograph, the shot was doomed before it was taken by the unavoidable prescence of the two visjacketed bods in the foreground. That point was well made by the first person to comment and was acknowledged to be the case by the photter in his reply. At that stage, I added the opinion that it would in those circumstances have been better not to have pressed the shutter. Now, I must admit to wondering at the time whether the rather provocative way in which this thought was expressed was going to result in a reaction, rather along the lines of: 'wrong, TWO, the really smart thing would have been to take the shot and fix the visvest problem in photoshop because actually it's a pretty good pic otherwise.' Instead of which I get some rather limp and nannyish responses dealing with style rather than substance. Life's full of disappointments.
    If you want to assess my expertise as a railway photographer, go tohttp//:david615.photonation.co.uk/list_collections.php.
    Thanks for the compliment, Phil, me and Cockney Wanderer go back quite a long way actually, and what the railway preservation movement and railway photography in particular needs is a few more people with his vision, drive and energy. No, make that 'a lot more'.

13. BristleGWR

BristleGWR Member

14. simon

Re: For the attention of Matt Spencer and Phil Jones

Actually there ws an interesting article in Railway herald last week on doing just that.
    Can't get the link to work - can you please re post

excuse my ignorance but who is the cockney wanderer?

I think that anyone who posts on the photo challenge has to expect their photos to be challenged.

I have to say that some of the ones I have posted have been chosen not because I think they are good but because they are not quite right and want advice on how to approve.

Having said that the photo of Doncaster is mine and I didn't thinkit that good, but others did so what does that tell me lol.

15. The Wise One

The Wise One New Member

The Wise One's Pics

Whoops, sorry about the link. I think the problem is that due to a change in circumstances beyond, as they say, my control I haven't been able to post any new stuff for quite some time. This has obviously triggered some sort of automatic time-out with photopic. I'll try to get it up and running again but I don't think it's going to happen in the immediate future. Life is indeed full of disappointments.

16. stepney60

I think Fotopic times out if theres no new stuff added for 6 months, I believe.

Re your comments with regard to Cockney Wanderer, while he may be a good photographer (I haven't seen any of his pictures so can't comment), I think its his attitude which puts a lot of people's backs up. For example I have yet to see him offer constructive criticism on others work as you have on the Fotopic site (and thankyou for that I will take it on board).

Of course if he was prepared to help other photographer rather than merely point out their failings without offering his help then that might be better for everyone. I apologise if he takes issue with this but that is the way I see it and he is more than welcome to come back at that feeling if he so wishes.

17. BristleGWR

BristleGWR Member

Bob Branch

18. simon

duplicate post removed...oops

19. Phil Jones

Phil Jones Member

Third yr Psy Uni Student

Thanks for the compliment, Phil, me and Cockney Wanderer go back quite a long way actually, and what the railway preservation movement and railway photography in particular needs is a few more people with his vision, drive and energy. No, make that 'a lot more'

Ha, that was no compliment.

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Personally I believe in being honest in my view of an image whether the cameraman appreciates it or not.

Someone however took umbrage and hidden behind a pseudonym posted a semi abusive comment on my fotopic site (now removed) . As a result I am no longer submitting to the site nor leaving comments