If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Retirement of Caledonian Sleeper coaching stock (Future usage)

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by FredBert, Apr 8, 2016.

1. FredBert

FredBert New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello alltogether,
    I've just read, that the caledonian sleeper will replace it's existing stock of Mark 2 and Mark 3 coaches completely with the new Mark 5 coaches. These will probably be delivered from 2017.
    As I can see in the list in Wikipedia, there are loads of mark 2 and Mark 3 coaches in use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonian_Sleeper
    I believe, it might be a good oppertunity for heritage railways to get hands on a large stock of coaches.
    The Mark 2 coaches could be used either for spare parts or to complement the existing fleet of coaches.
    Mark 3 coaches are ideal providing accommodation for volunteers etc.
    In Britain, there are for sure loads of new heritage railways and even longer existing railway societies, who would be very happy, if they could use these vehicles in the future.

Another option would be, to use the Mark 3 coaches for hostel or hotel service. Maybe some railway groups are interested in such a model of reuse.

Cheers,
    Fred

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'm not sure that Mk 3 sleepers are ideal for volunteer accommodation - they are cramped and airless if the ventilation is not working, if it is they are power-hungry and require a 415V supply, I believe. They are not well insulated so require background heat to keep pipework from freezing in winter and can be very cold!

I'm not sure that the later Mk 2 stock is any better - airbrake and ETH only, and shallow windows mean poor visibility - an important consideration on heritage lines.

3. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

I agree with 61624. As an occasional user the Mk 3 sleepers with their sealed windows, noisy duff aircon & limited heating are at best a very temporary stopgap type of volunteer accommodation & the idea of using them as some sort of Hotel is best forgotten.

goldfish likes this.
  4. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Conversion to parcels vans would be a better use. Unless you rip out the windows and fit opening ones, the Mk3s are pretty useless as static accom

5. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    The SVR uses a number of Mk3 sleepers which I have frequented from time to time. They all have mains shore supplies and are not that cramped. We also have a GWR first class sleeper at KD which is often fully booked

6. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

nothing looks worse on a preserved site than an old sleeping car in use as (basically) a doss house....especially if it's a mk3

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I don't know, they have a certain charm. The mushrooms/toadstools growing in the Sheffield Park Hilton added a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the experience of an overnight stay at the Bluebell. :)

Reading General likes this.
  8. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Whilst the majority of volunteer accommodation on preserved railways is a bit of an eyesore, it does encourage volunteers! I can imagine without ours at Llangollen we'd be down by 50 or more hard working volunteers, who are there every weekend because they can stay down.

9. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

can't say I've spotted yours at Llangollen, must be quite discrete

10. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you a right but heritage railways seem slow to cotton on to the idea that many of these doss houses are hardly inviting, clean or even comfortable. How many MORE volunteers (and perhaps their better halves) would stay overnight & give the railway more of their time if the accommodation was in a proper building with all basic facilities. The Ffestiniog has such a hostel and the WSR has a small but good facility at Minehead yet many of the others do not seem to be giving this any priority whilst wondering why declining volunteer numbers is the norm.

11. RA & FC

There on the cutting side of the shed as you leave Llan. Wouldn't say they're discrete with one being in Camping Coach green and cream! They are all fairly well maintained though due to all being in private ownership.

12. RA & FC

Whilst it would be ideal for us to look at building a hostel / acquiring a suitable building there are other more pressing issues. Corwen station is taking pretty much everything to ensure its going to be finished in time. To build a hostel the railway would have to buy a building / land and then build one. Not cheap, and not at all easy in a town like Llangollen where space is at a premium.

I've always been of the opinion that when Corwen is finished then it's time for the railway to look at and improve all of its facilities. A case of improving what's there rather than expanding the railway.

cct man likes this.