If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Resita 764.425

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by williamfj2, May 27, 2009.

1. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Whats the current situation regarding the WLLR's Resita 764.425? I know she suffered from that axle failure last year and since then its all gone queit.......

2. Richieboy

Richieboy New Member

Still awaiting putting back together following the making of 2 new axles. (A new axle has been made for both Klein Lindner axles despite only 1 failing)

Work is ongoing I believe, as there is much to be done on bearing surfaces and new motion parts etc. . . .

3. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Thanks for the reply Richie. I was just intersted because I was going through my piles of magazins and came across the Steam Railway with the coverage of her failure.

4. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    That's right - we were sent a spare KL wheelset with the loco and this has been fitted with a new axle at Baguleys - it will replace the rear Klein Lindner, the one that didn't break, to be totally sure of what we have. While the loco has been out of service lots of other work has been done especially on the motion, some of which was damaged in the failure, but also on other tasks such as fitting a new more efficient lubricator.

It's a slow process because basically the workshop staff at Llanfair are virtually all volunteers, with work mostly only going on at weekends, and we have also this winter been concerned with the 10 yearly on The Earl, which involves lifting the boiler out of the chassis, retubing and reassembling, that job is almost complete. Anyone who wants to join in the work (which also includes restoring 0-6-2 Joan) would be made most welcome!

Some pictures of various workshop jobs including the removal of a Klein-Lindner, not easy coz it's very heavy and accomplished using a patent futtock designed in the workshop, can be found on the site of one of our members - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanllan/

Regards

Andrew C
    Press Officer
    W&LLR