If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Register of existing steam loco tenders

Discussion in 'Links' started by hussar1028, Sep 17, 2013.

1. hussar1028

hussar1028 New Member

The Railway Heritage Register Partnership have just put a new register on the Vintage Carriage Trust website. This provides details on existing standard gauge steam locomotive tenders in the UK. It can be accessed at

http://www.ten.vintagecarriagestrust.org/tens/tensearch.asp

Altenatively you can go through the Vintage Carriage Trust website

Any additional information and photographs are always welcome, there is a contact address on the website.

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Would it be possible to add in a criteria of how it survived or its last useage?
    Such as Snowplough, Sludge Carrier, Weed Killer train, Steel Works slab carrier etc

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

There's a surprising number of LNER 4200 gal examples converted as snowploughs. They are probably too butchered to be restoable as such but ought to be a great source of wheels, axleboxes, buffers etc to help keep the existing preserved locos provided for - plus (dare I say it) the odd B17, J39 replica!

4. hussar1028

hussar1028 New Member

More than happy to add in this sort of information though it would go in the notes section rather than on a separate line. Almost all of the tenders that have survived were last used as tenders rather than the uses mentioned above. In general information on the last locomotive the tender was coupled to in BR days is avoided as record keeping towards the end of steam declined and it is thought plenty of tender swaps went unrecorded. If you have any information though on later uses of tenders please submit it via the email address on the Register website and it will be added to the records.

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

6. hussar1028

hussar1028 New Member

Thanks for that link Tom. I'll create a record in the next few days

Justin