If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Regauging loco

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by 73129, Dec 28, 2008.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi all please can someone answer a question for me. I’ve been reading Railway magazine and someone from the MHR has purchased a 12 1/4in gauge loco from Fairbourne Railway (T.J. Thurston 4-6-2 built in 1948) but this loco will need to be regauged to 10 1/4in. How easy is it to regauge a loco and what would you need to do to it?

Thanks

2. new axels and possibly moving the frames inwards slightly

3. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    To regauge a loco can be a pretty involved task. A lot depands on the type and construction of the loco. If you move the frames in and the firebox just fits between the frames then the boiler will need re-working /replacing. There is no standard list of what work neds doing, every case needs a careful study before starting.

4. meeee

meeee Member

If you have have a parry people mover you just undo the grub screws and slide the wheels in. You might get a few issues when they work loose and it falls over in Caernarfon station but i suppose if you have a PPM then that's the least of your worries :smt003

Tim