If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Re-opening Irlam - Timperley CLC Line

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 49010, Mar 28, 2017.

1. JEB-245584

JEB-245584 Member

ADI
    Can't really see it as a Network Rail job either.
    Seeing it would be only used for diversions and the very fickle freight market I can't see NR taking it out of mothballs.
    My view is that one day Metrolink may take it over. They are already on the way to the Trafford Centre, the new Port Salford development is designed with provision to take a metrolink line, from there it is only a short journey down the A57 to Irlam and Cadishead , a quick jump over the MSC and you are on the outskirts of Partington then through the proposed new development at Carrington on through Broadheath and join the existing line near Timperley.
    It will be well down the list on TFGM's plans but one day it may happen.

2. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Would probably be a better use of the line and the money, TBH.

But then, I'm pretty pro-Metrolink. Expand it as far as it'll go. Run one down the middle of Oxford Road and turn it into a giant patio with trams. And for god's sake bring it out to we poor abandoned souls in Levenshulme.

3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

You'd need a Transport & Works Act Order to transfer the stautory rights/responsibilities for operating and maintaining it. GCRN had to do just that before it took over the "East Leake Branch" as it was known, and with a bit of searching you might just find the Order online somewhere. Somewhere along the way you'd have to actually buy or lease the trackbed too, but I guess that that is a commercial negotiation (albeit probably done at the same time).

I don't know the area well enough to comment on this particular proposal but from the comments posted already on this thread, there are other railways much higher on my list for a visit. ;-)