If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by neildimmer, Feb 9, 2013.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Morning All

I have added a collection of photos featuring the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway courtesy of David Heath
    Steam locos here
    Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway - Railway-Photography's Photos | SmugMug
    Diesel here

and can anyone confirm this loco is the Blackpool Pleasure Beach Diesel/steam loco
    Carol Jean 4473 Hudswell, Leeds 4-6-4T Diesel (Steam Outline) Ravenglass ex Blackpool Pleasure Beach railway

Neil

2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Look whose safety valves are lifting for the first time in far too long:
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/ravenglassrailway/
    While eyes are (understandably) on "Whillan Beck" @Nigel Day is getting within touching distance of bringing "Esk" back to the land of the living. Roll on the first load tests!

3. Nigel Day

Nigel Day Member

Steam loco engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    image.jpeg It's been six years since Eskie has been in use. It will be a little more now. There is the rods to finish and the valve gear to assemble plus some pipe work. The tender is still to sort. Early next year she should be running.
    image.jpeg

4. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    @Nigel Day Many thanks for the update and congratulations on the wonderful progress.

Reading that put me in mind of so many scratchbuild modelmakers I've met over the years, who all start on their projects by building the tender first, on the grounds that otherwise, by the time they've ploughed through building the loco, there's always the temptation to say "s■d this!"* and leave another tenderless masterpiece for 'when they get round to it' .... Not an option in your case of course!

It's fantastic to watch "Esk" coming together and seeing photos of the boiler test marked a major milestone. It's hard to believe that the loco's centenary is only six years away now and heartening to know it's receiving exactly the care it needs to ensure it's alive and well to celebrate that milestone.

Never mind the years since "Esk" last steamed .... Where the hell has the last half century gone? If your sterling efforts don't get at least a (really good) real ale named after you in the Ratty Arms, theres no justice. "A pint of Daycare please" has a nice ring to it.

*That's just one reason I'm modelling the IWCR ... all tank locos!