If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Oktoberfest 21st-29th October

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Steamie Boxes, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Steamie Boxes

Steamie Boxes Member

Apprentice Enginner at NYMR
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was reading on the Ravenglass website about this event, so I was wondering when the enhanced timetable it mentions will be available to view.

Many Thanks.

2. Nigel Day

Nigel Day Member

Steam loco engineer
    We have not seen it yet but when further details are public I will forward them.

3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Surely an Oktoberfest is meant to start in September? Well, that's how the Germans do it...

4. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Had it been a German event it would have been called "SeptemberFest" if operated in September BUT German logic being what it is the "OktoberFest" will take place in October.

Funny thing - Logic !

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Funny thing, not checking your facts!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest
    http://www.oktoberfest.de/de/

I like German logic. It's probably for the same reason that "halb sieben" means "half past six".

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. Fred Kerr

That's because of the missing word ! It should read "halb vor sieben" (half before seven) hence "half past six".

7. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Oh I know why it means that. I don't really understand what point you are trying to make though. Perhaps there isn't one.
    My point is that they are clearly a nation of optimists and this is reflected in the language. Which is probably why Oktoberfest takes place (mostly) in September. Which was my original point, which both you and the R&ER seem to be ignoring.
    Never mind.

8. Fred Kerr

I wasn't making any point - just being a bit whimsical as I recover from an unexpected quadruple heart bypass that has resulted in an inability to sleep hence having time to be frivolous. Sometimes there's no point to be made - no rationale to a posting - simply the joy of posting nonsense simply for the sake of it ! Oh the joy of irresponsibility !!

30854, patriarch and andrewshimmin like this.
  9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
  10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    It may come as a surprise to you but the R&ER isn't in Germany and thus not constrained by German tradition and can start an Oktober or any other Fest any time it like.
    Tschüß! ;)

pmh_74 likes this.
  11. Steamie Boxes

Steamie Boxes Member

Apprentice Enginner at NYMR
    Does anyone know why this event has disappeared from the Railways website

12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Postponed till 2018, more details on RER Facebook page.

13. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    https://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/about-us/news/article/504/oktoberfest-postponement/

Oktoberfest Postponement

A number of people in the Preservation Society and Railway Company have spent several months planning the Oktoberfest event this autumn. It was originally envisaged as a celebration of the launch of the Society’s No.8457 Whillan Beck by bringing at least two of her sister Krauss engines from the continent and also inviting a number of engines with German heritage from other UK railways. We anticipated 12 working steam locomotives employed on an intensive week-long gala timetable, with themed food, drink, music and entertainment in support.

Unfortunately, in recent weeks the vision has been eroded by a series of developments largely out of Society and Company hands that collectively have significantly reduced the attractiveness of the event and compromised the benefit being accrued from the sizeable financial investments required. Four of the planned locomotives have been lost, including one of those from the continent, and there are increasing concerns that the volume of work still required on No.8457 Whillan Beck may have precluded its ability to pull trains after its formal launch and throughout the Oktoberfest period.

In view of the above, the Society and Company have reluctantly taken the decision to postpone the Oktoberfest event until next year.

In terms of the launch of No.8457 Whillan Beck that was planned for 21st October, this will also be postponed. It was looking increasingly likely that further work and acceptance would be required after Oktoberfest and risks remained about its completion, particularly if unexpected issues cropped up during testing. Therefore, given the postponement of Oktoberfest and the reduced need for locomotives on the railway during the winter, the opportunity will be taken to make sure adequate time is available to complete the work to Whillan Beck rather than attempting to rush the acceptance and handover. Old Hall Engineering is continuing to work well, and the delays are primarily due to unforeseen external factors.

The Society and Company would like to record their sincere thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to support the planning of this event up to this point. Further details will be published as soon as possible about new dates for an event in 2018.

Tuesday 5th of September 2017

30854 and goldfish like this.
  14. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks to 47406 and the R&E for the upfront and straightforward expanation. It's clearly far better to give the workshop wallahs time to sort out any outstanding issues and allow 'Whillan Beck' to give of it's best in service. If 'Esk' re-emerges at the same time, so much the better!