If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway Touring Company's 2017 Programme

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Oct 29, 2016.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Speculation based on what, certainly not on the procedures involved.

2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Unusually a leading authority in the industry began this particular discussion giving rise to legitimate conjecture - no bashing - which could be nipped in the bud with any sort of response from those at the sharp end.
    Some folk obviously would rather things like this were not speculated upon?

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  3. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Is that your personal view or that of someone who works for RTC? Just asking. And if as an RTC worker perhaps you can enlighten us more???

Harry Stanger likes this.
  4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Braunton is now listed as the motive power for The Bath and Bristol Steam Express Saturday 18th March 2017.

34098 likes this.
  5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    But noting that RTC prices have risen (2015 prices @£69:00 per standard fare now £109:00 for 2017 season) suggest that tour organisers are reacting to restricted loadings by raising prices and looking to total income rising despite lower passenger numbers. Another example is the rising cost of dining which has risen from a 2015/6 price of £169:00 to £199:00 on forthcoming programmes - covering both steam and diesel hauled tours.

6. railrover

railrover Member

Most of the RTC tours for early 2017 seem to have dining priced at 249.00, rising to 265.00 next Summer.. Whilst we all know on-train catering is a costly enterprise, and one which I occasionally enjoy, it does seem to be an increase of ridiculous proportions over so short a timescale. Is it really worth 90.00 over and above First Class fares for breakfast, evening meal and often no (or minimal) lunch? You can eat cheaper at the Ritz.

26D_M and Harry Stanger like this.
  7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
  8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Not being obtuse, just generally interested as I don't think the question has been raised head-on before. But if it is 'hiding', then it's hiding in plain sight, as they are usually located at the front of the brochure, which seems pretty prominent to me. But once again, how can anybody know if there will be diesel assistance when originally planned? Where we keep debating about this is that some of use believe in the null hypothesis that no diesel assistance is expected when originally planned, whilst you may or may not be suggesting that one should consider that a diesel should always be in the plan, as the occasional steam-only trip is merely a sweetener.

As for the issue with 45690 in January, I have two speculative hypotheses:

1. Notwithstanding previous trips, this occasion might require a 75mph- capable locomotive, and the most convenient is located at Carnforth.

2. The fixed pricing structure of the trip set months beforehand no longer covers the cost of two steam locomotives due to intervening rises in other areas, and this might be why we have seen another hike recently. However, one wonders if any 'buy one, get one 2/3-price' economies of scale are possible in this market.

It could be just about anything.

9. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ....and it's currently the only train advertised on the RTC website for 2017 to feature steam south of Lancashire/Yorkshire. I presume there are more to be announced or in the year marking 50 years since those last Bulleid pacifics bowed out, has RTC decided to abandon us southerners?

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

RTC usually put day trips for later in year, on the website during December.

11. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Another offer for the Christmas Trains - including this one. £25 off in Standard Class.

Early Black Friday deal - £25 off per person in standard class on our Christmas daytrips 2016

We are emailing to offer you an early Black Friday deal of £25 off per person for any new bookings in standard class on our forthcoming Christmas daytrips. This offer will be open until close of business on Thursday 24th November.

In order to obtain your discount please quote code EBF when placing your booking.

12. railrover

railrover Member

RTC are clearly very keen to sell excess capacity on apparently all tours during the run up to Christmas, and quite rightly so. The downside is that it may cause discontent amongst those already booked, in turn leading to a decline in the advance bookings so vital to ensure the 2017 programme.

There is no one factor causing the clear downturn in train occupancy. Increased economic uncertainty plays a part, as does the fact that the generation who regard steam with a personal nostalgia is declining through what might diplomatically be described as "natural wastage". Other factors difficult to quantify might include more modern elements (not using the D word as I don't want my post shunted off to another thread) and also I personally think that the Tornado effect, with clearly reliable running & excellent marketing. is drawing significant custom away.

RTC are also suffering through the general lack of available Class 7 motive power (at least to them) and whilst that should be corrected in the not too distant future they need to take, & clearly be seen to be taking, more active & positive steps to hold on to their customer base. Lots of financial "offers" be they a succession of £25 off emails or even BOGOF may be a welcome inducement to some to travel but they also give the impression of an organisation desperate to shift unwanted stock. Given the vey glossy image they have so successfully created for themselves in the past it is sad that more recent marketing has more of a whiff of MFI than RTC.

As followers of the other (unmentionable) thread will know I contacted RTC re the new year Cumbrian Coast Express, presently advertised for a single Jubilee. To restate the suggestion already made by others the obvious answer to me as a potential customer would be double-headed steam. I know many of those reading this may throw up their hands and dismiss the idea on cost grounds, but is it really such a big deal cost wise? There have been many tours using two steam locos (often Ian Riley's magnificent machines) and the fares for those are not excessive in comparison to those of a typical 2016 tour. Even if the fare was say £10 more the question any customer should ask is this, Do you want a superb day out at full fare, or do you want a mediocre & possibly compromised day out with £25 discount?

It is my belief that such a train well advertised would be full & standing long before any discount offers need even be thought about. It would also encourage bookings for the remainder of RTC's 2017 tours as a whole.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  13. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Maybe uncertainty about the future of WCRC at Southall? I seem to recall NR were using a break-point in the lease to take it back,but I don't know when. Don't think the adjacent LSL depot was affected.

14. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Vis double heading, @BigAl also remarked on this as a solution with many potential advantages.
    If I remember correctly @Ian Riley has mentioned that the marginal costs for the second loco do not double the price for that aspect by any means.

15. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Far from a variety of reasons, I think there maybe a very clear factor in the 'excess capacity ' currently being sold by Rtc - the near doubling of their fares! I used to do 3 or 4 tours a year, if it hadn't been for the BOGOF offer my tally for 2016 would have remained at 1. My income isn't low but railtouring is now a rich man's hobby I'm afraid.

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    It's not the cost that puts me off but the uncertainty regarding diesel assistance and restrictions on what you can and can't do on board the train. Got my main line fix in Germany this year. A no frills, no diesel, windows open steam tour.

banana patch likes this.
  17. 61994

61994 Member

18. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I had heard they were going to do one next year, but two's a bonus. Decent price, too, all things considered. Only £4 more expensive than this year's doomed outing. The Copy Pit Loop is inspired, and am surprised it's taken this long to organise. Tempted and hopefully a couple more trips will make an appearance before long.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  19. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

railrover likes this.
  20. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Seat booked on first train, hotel booked (free cancellation up to 2/2) This trip promises to be a CRACKER :)