If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway Preservation Society of Ireland

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by fisher, Feb 26, 2017.

1. fisher

fisher New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looking from the other side of the Irish Sea, well done to the RPSI for its work in creating what looks like a very impressive new museum and restoration facility at Whitehead. While its locomotive fleet has, for the most part, been visible out on the main line and in the railway press, the new museum offers the opportunity to enhance restoration and raise awareness of what is a very interesting historic carriage collection. Gems such as the GNR Directors saloon, GS&WR 12 wheel brake composite, NCC Railcar Nos. 1 and others may get a higher profile in the future.

As the museum moves towards its opening, I would be interested to know from those in the society what the restoration priorities are over the next few years.

nanstallon and andrewshimmin like this.
  2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Not an official RPSI response, but just my own understanding as an RPSI member:

Finishing No131, continuing refurbishment/maintenance of the MK2 set, continuing refurbishment/maintenance of the Cravens set, maintenance of the current operating locos.

A little further down the line: overhaul of CSE diesel No1, overhaul of 0-6-0st Harvey, overhaul of one of the GNRI Guinness grain vans, overhaul of GSWR 861, possible extension to new station building, cosmetic overhaul of further wagons for display at WRM (Whitehead Railway Museum), possible overhaul of further wooden bodied carriages for use/display at WRM, possible overhaul of laminates set.

Thank you for your kind words regarding WRM, it's certainly going to be an impressive facility!

Just as an aside, I don't think either 861 or NCC 1 will be prominently displayed in the new museum as 861 is currently substantially stripped for overhaul and NCC 1 is in pretty rough condition.

Keith

nanstallon and andrewshimmin like this.
  3. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    As one who has long been fascinated by the Irish scene, these developments have been great news. The annual RPSI steam weekend has become part of my calendar, but there are many day trips in their programme. Take a look at the website - soon, as the trips sell out quickly!

4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I'll certainly be visiting, hopefully there is a car park.

5. ghost

There is a newly created car park for WRM visitors.
    There is also some car parking associated with the nearby playing fields/community centre which would also be usable by WRM visitors.

Keith

Reading General likes this.
  6. fisher

fisher New Member

Thank you Keith for the information. I also look forward to a visit. For those with an interest in industrial heritage the greater Belfast area is starting to be a major draw. In addition to the new Whitehead museum, I did not realise how near Cultra was, and the Titanic Museum and HMS Caroline will make it destination worthy of a long weekend. I am sure the tourist agencies will be picking up on this.

I am in danger getting off topic. I hope the new museum finds a way to present the interesting and very attractive late GNRI livery of cream and blue with gold lettering. The director's saloon has this, although the images I have seen suggest it might need a re-varnish. I gather the new repair facilities has workshop facilities to help with this work. Am I right that in addition to Cream and Blue, the directors saloon has run in preservation in the earlier GNRI brown/orange?

7. Reading General

Downpatrick isn't far either.

8. ghost

Indeed, there is also SS Nomadic, the Ulster Museum and as RG mentioned Downpatrick isn't too far away either. If you wanted to travel a bit further, there is the Giants Causeway railway, although this has lost a lot of its appeal (to me anyway!) as they no longer use the steam locos.

I think several of the carriages require a repaint and possibly a freshen up inside as most have not been used in anger since the wooden body carriage ban on NIR/Translink. The NCC diner 87 and NCC compo 68 have already received this treatment, but as always it will depend on money and manpower. At least once they are done they shouldn't deteriorate very quickly now that they are under cover!

The scumbled mahogany effect was used on GNRI 9, 50, 88 and 114 after they were restored and they were subsequently repainted into GNR(I) blue and cream many years ago (possibly late 90s/early 2000s).

Hope this helps

Keith

9. Reading General

It's also a long long dreary drive through not very inspiring countryside....maybe the scenic coastal route is better, but that's also much longer.

10. ghost

The coastal route is much better with several nice spots for lunch if you wanted to make a day of it.

Keith

Reading General likes this.
  11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Pity as it is a unique vehicle, if memory serves?

12. ghost

It is. The only other standard gauge railbuses in Ireland are GNRI 1 at Cultra (restored to working order and delivered itself to the new museum when it was being built, but now static) and SLNCR B at Downpatrick (awaiting restoration).

I understand there are plans for its restoration though. It was looked at a few years back but I think it was beyond the resources at the time. It was then looked at again when a funding package came up that also included 131. I think it was removed from that project as it was reckoned the workshops couldn't complete the job in the required time due to the work on 131 and other jobs.

It's time will come!

Keith

13. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Keith
    Thanks for the update, hope it gets some attention soon.
    I can't be too critical; I have been halfway through building a model of it in 4mm for years ... ! :eek:

ghost likes this.