If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway Magazine

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Reading General, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I have a quantity 1951 to 1959 with some gaps. Over 70 I beleive without counting them. Any interest to anyone on here before I advertise them? I'm thinking 50 squid and can deliver next month to Wales /West Country/ South Coast general area.

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Wish you good fortune. Sadly, the market for such things seems to have evaporated in recent times.

Paul H

3. Reading General

It's the bin for them then!

4. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

A pity but it may come to that.

Paul H

5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Several bookshop dealers accessible via Abe Books' UK website seem to deal in back issue mags, might be worth contacting them. A quick search for RM on the Abe website would locate likely dealers. Failing that, eBay/Gumtree/Shpock ..... but from personal experience, Shpock seems to be a Care in the Community outreach project ...... some mighty odd people, who couldn't give away some of the stranger toys in their attics! :Wacky:

Local heritage railway's shop perhaps?

goldfish likes this.
  6. Reading General

yeah there's loads of heritage railway shops in Cork

ebay advertises 1951 RMs for £1 to about a fiver , i wonder if any ever sell?I rarely buy from ebay nowadays as the standard postage rates they quote are out of this world (£9.50 for one magazine to Ireland form the UK.

7. Reading General

ps I won't really bin them, maybe some preserved line would like them donated?
    pps i'm also sorting out old railway books , maybe someone would like them too?

8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

These still seem to be able to shift second hand books. However, old magazines are a different matter.

It may be possible to dispose of them thus but the likelihood of getting any money from this source is rather low.

PaulH

9. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Yeah..... Soryy bout that....forgot you're right on the edge of the map! Fair old way from Stradbally too, let alone Downpatrick and Whitehead!

Reading General likes this.
  10. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    As Paul says, books will probably be welcomed as donations, although I doubt you'll get any money for them, but I know several places are actively asking for no more magazines to even be donated, because they simply don't shift and take up space.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

paulhitch likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Most heritage railways won't thank you for turning up with magazines. It costs them money to get rid of rubbish and that's what they essentially are. Some will take book donations, though, but it depends on the quality of the book.

paulhitch likes this.
  12. Reading General

run of the mill magazines yes, but 1950s one surely have a lot of interesting stuff in them. SOME will take book donations? is that where we are getting to? I can recall a time when railways used to collect silver paper and used stamps, anything in fact to raise a bob or two!

30854 likes this.
  13. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Old railway mags used to be a good source of information but now we have Google which is probably why demand has fallen away

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    paulhitch likes this.
  14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

To this list can be added newspapers, once a source of money to go for pulping but not now. The IOWSR does take books, including non-railway ones. Of course the problem with railway book donations is that the really interesting stuff is still sellable for real money so gets to the booksellers although I have picked up a couple of decent ones.

PH

15. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Every heritage railway I visit has stalls offering literally hundreds of second hand books for sale. Most of them - especially Ian Allan and David & Charles - are total rubbish. Rubbish content printed on rubbish paper - they'd do better to chuck them in a locomotive firebox.

On the subject of magazines - I recently offered the shop of a group I support 200 copies of Steam World (Nos 1-200). They turned them down as they have no more space for magazines - they can't get rid of them.

paulhitch likes this.
  16. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

I buy old copies of the Railway Magazine as I find them invaluable in my railway education- understanding what has gone on in the past. I tend to buy in relative bulk from the VCT at Ingrow who have the best selection I have found.

Although there are some excellent railway books out there, about 95% is either too technical, too dense or too badly written for my tastes. Most railway magazines meanwhile age really badly, except for the Railway Magazine itself, which I think has sufficent standing as a 'journal of record' to give some value to old copies.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

17. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Postal rates always mystify me. Nearly £10 to send a magazine from the U.K. to Ireland. Sounds extortionate. Yet the IOWSR recently imported an item from Australia weighing nearly 1200 grams by the equivalent of registered post. We were able to track its progress half way around the world and anticipate its delivery to Havenstreet almost to the minute. The cost was £70 which seems very fair.

Perhaps Ebay postal rates might be the subject of a seperate thread.

Paul H

18. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I had a railway book cull (around 50 titles) last year. Donated to the British Heart Foundation who were happy to take them as 'always popular items.' I'm sure a deserving Irish charity could be found?

19. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Printed paper rates are at http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder/printed-papers . Shouldn't be that much unless you use the tracked and signed service (which is significantly more expensive). For heavier items, Hermes or similar is usually cheaper.

20. Reading General

I often find really good old books at Railways, the one I'm reading now is by a Vicar and dated 1951 !

I'm headed for Wales and the South West next month so if any railways wants the mags and about 50(could be a lot more if I get time to sort out more) books, form a queue. and I'll bring them with me:)