If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rail Mail in London.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 45669, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Evening All,

I had a trip on the new Mail Rail in London this week and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone in, near or visiting London. For anyone unfamiliar with Rail Mail, it's the old 2ft gauge underground Post Office Railway that until 2003 carried millions of letters between Paddington and Liverpool Street Stations and the Mount Pleasant sorting office. It ran in deep level tube tunnels and had driverless trains operated from control panels.

Completely unknown to the majority of Londoners it was called London's secret railway, but a short section of it has now been re-opened in conjunction with the Post Office Museum near Mount Pleasant sorting office and the public can take a short ride on trains deep below Mount Pleasant.

I took a few pictures whilst there and these are now on Flickr. This is the link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/albums/72157661375104808

Hope they're of interest.

2. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That is excellent Ron thanks, I need to visit this place soon.

3. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent pix Ron, looking forward to our visit booked in January. Same weekend we're at the LT Depot Museum at Acton. Should be interesting all round! :D

4. William Shelford

William Shelford Member

Look out for the Fire Control Panels. There is one by the street entrance and another near the platform area where you get on/off the trains.
    These show the track layout and location of the trains. DSCF7646 (small).jpg

5. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I’m booked on it with some friends from Brum, 30th November. Looking forward to it.