If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

R&W Hawthorn Loco 'Catania'

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by ilvaporista, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Here is a long shot but knowing how well read readers of NP are I thought it is worth a try.

We are looking for information on this loco
    http://www.lestradeferrate.it/mono1/1rotabil1.jpg
    https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranvia_Raddusa-Sant'Agostino#/media/File:Locomotiva_Catania.JPG

The loco was built as an 850mm gauge (about 2'9") and supplied to the sulphur mines on Sicily. From there it went to work near Naples after re-gauging to 950mm and was fitted with a balloon type smoke arrester. After it was exported to Eritrea and was probably scrapped once worn out

So far we have not found any works numbers or any further details. What is needed is a dimension such as wheelbase, overall length or wheel diameter to help scale the above photos.

My good friend Romeo is looking to build a version to operate on 7 1/4" track, the scale will be slightly larger, more like a 10 1/4" loco.

Any clues or information would be most helpful

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I now have a works number. 2053. Does anyone have access to any details that would identify the wheel diameter, length etc?

3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    RHW seem to have built a very diverse and eclectic range, to the extent that it's hard to define so much as an "RHW Look". To my eye, "Catania" looks like the love child of YE Wks No.757 "Pioneer" and the ancestors of the Kerr Stuart "Wren" class, with a Bagnall chimney for good measure! What a quirky little loco .... I understand the appeal!

It might be worth contacting Tanfield or Barrow Hill who both have RWH locos, or the Col Stephens Railway Museum at Tenterden (HFS was a regular customer) who may know of archive sources.

4. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not entirely sure what the question is but the SLS has a Hawthorn / Leslie works list from 1838 onwards in their library - WL 8276 is the reference. The works lists are usually available by file transfer.