If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

PS Ryde

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by WB2624, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looks past salvation in this pic:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27392491@N02/4372841769/in/set-72157623188845389/

2. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i would have thought so to, but the site i looked at say that the survey found it to be still saveable, but again at a cost i suppose it depends on what stength is still in the hull,and what has to be done to prevent it breaking its back when its moved it would be a shame, because all the former denny motor vessels have now gone and this is the very last ex southern railway portsmouth to ryde passinger ferry left ,i was very surprised that the Brading was scrapped,only 5 or 6 years ago i saw her tied up at bristol

3. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    The Ryde is finished - full stop. To move and replate her would probably cost £2m minimum and there just isn't the money

Then you would have to start full restoration - all without any final berth or business plan currently in prospect

It was that that beat the old Southsea (not Brading) We just aren't good at ships here in the UK

You had better brace yourselves for more bad news from the east coast very shortly.

4. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    It amazes me It amazes me there is still a push to save PS Ryde! Also figures for her rebuild seem rather on the low side to me. The ship gave up a long time ago, lets just put her out of her misery! It’s so sad the opportunity was missed many years ago to save her . . .

I have heard talk of saving her engine . . . perhaps this could be restored for display at Blackgang Chine on the IoW and release the PS Compton Castle’s . . .

The PS Compton Castle is now a shadow of her former self at Truro. After a number of uses following withdrawal she hangs on in there. Most recently she was due to become a restaurant but last I heard that had fallen through despite works being carried out on her. To me she is the only paddler ‘at risk’ we have any hope of restoring that could provide a viable business case given the right location to base her.

The cost to refit her would be substantially less than the likes of PS Ryde and the costs involved with operating her would be considerable less . . . . the same as PS Kingswear Castle funnily enough! I could see a viable case for the PS CC, sadly not for the PS Ryde or PS Lincoln Castle.

Lets face it PS Waverley scrapes by season to season. She may not have been everyone’s favourite paddler or the best paddler built but she is the last of a line . . . .

It is interesting however to note Steam Railway have included mention of the PS Ryde a number of times of late . . . . perhaps an article on the remaining railway Paddlers should be tackled by them or at least mention of the ones we have managed to save and operate!

As TBirdFrank states we just aren't good at ships in the UK . . . even those with close railway connections!
    connections!

5. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Article in the latest SR. Says if £500,000 can be raised by the end of the year it could be saved. Might cost £7m to make it seaworthy though.

6. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    It cost £7m to refit Waverley a few years ago and she was in full working order . . . Does the article in SR say what £500,000 will be used for? I would imagine the only realistic use of this money would be for safe dismantling and storage of the ship whilst '£7m' to rebuild her is found!

I'm not sure MCA wouldn't treat her as a new ship and as such make her comply with the newbuild regs. I understand Medway Queen will not carry MCA certification for similar reasons.

7. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    Just had a look on PS Ryde's website. Trust are saying £7.5 to £10m to rebuild . . . . getting closer to reality!

8. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Dosen't actually say but I presume it is a purchase price. The people concerned have managed to halt the scrapping process.

9. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The difference being that the Ryde people aren't talking about a non-compliant rivetted hull, which is what the Medway Queen is having.

10. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    So what we are then talking about is a replica thats something like the Ryde. Still far convinced . . . I would be surprised if heritage lottery money would be available for a non rivited ship . . . I understand this to be the reason MQ is being fully rivited.

PS Maid of the Loch would be a much more worthy cause . . . and the wee Compton Castle!

11. stan the man

stan the man Member

What a pity so many people are prepared to "let her go".

Come on where that fighting preservation spirit? perhaps a little support to those folk who are trying to save her wouldnt go amiss, if you dont agree with saving her then fine but dont knock them.

Jim S

12. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    It's because people prepared to "let her go" live in the real world & realise that the ship is too far gone !
    Why not use the money to save something else that still floats & has a chance of sailing again.

Bob.

13. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    That is the unfortunate truth

The money and the skills just are not there - for ships in better condition - let alone a basket case like this.

Let her go and concentrate on what we can save - or lose the lot through dilution of effort.

14. stan the man

stan the man Member

Lots of talk about letting the "Ryde" go but not much talk about saving other vessels.

We have lost too much in recent years and it seems this year will see the end of the manxman too, we cant just sit back and let these ships be broken and kid ourselves that other vessels will be saved instead or indeed replicas, new build (call it what you will) will ever be built.

If the so called enthusiast dont support these ships then who will?

Jim S

15. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Shipping enthusiasts as opposed to railway ones?

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Much the same was said about 71000 when her restoration was proposed. Luckily the DoG guys didn't heed that "advice."

17. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    For comparison purposes you might restore the machinery on 'Ryde' for what the total 'Duke of Gloucester ' project cost. You will still need MILLIONS for the hull & outfitting. This project is just not feasible. I believe there are other paddlers at risk with an intact hull but no machinery - one of these would be more sensible.

Bob.

18. stan the man

stan the man Member

19. stan the man

stan the man Member

Would any of those be sea going such as Ryde?

No I thought not.

(By the way I have pledged a sizeable donation to help save PS Ryde just in case anyone says put your money where your mouth is)

Jim S

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Ships will always be more expensive that locos and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert. Simply observing that in other fields of preservation there have always been people full of advice regarding "impossible" tasks. In some cases this advice has been ignored and said "impossible" tasks have become decidedly "possible." maybe PS Ryde will turn out to be one of these IF the money becomes available.