If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

"Preserved" steam locos that were subsequently scrapped

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by marshall5, Jan 9, 2015.

1. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I suppose the T9 boiler is LSW-origin/design, just not that loco's first boiler.
    Whereas the Ben's boiler was a CR boiler, and did slightly mar their fine appearance (IMO).
    Still a very great shame and in retrospect a bad criterion.

2. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    But is that only by today's standards? In those days the particular fad was originality, in these times we have a similar fad for a sort of "authenticity", who knows what your grandchildren will value...

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    With regard the T9, the boiler conversion to superheating was relatively minor - the boiler shell and foundation ring was retained unaltered, with a new inner firebox with the altered tube arrangement, new front tube plate, and extended smokebox to house the superheater. (They also got revised cylinders at the same time with a saddle to support the smokebox). Indeed, the external work was sufficiently minor that some locos went back into traffic without having been repainted, including a number that were superheated in SR days but turned back out in LSWR livery, not being repainted until some years later. 119, 282, 284, 301, 302, 303, 310, 336, 338, 702, 704, 709, 721, 722, 724, 729, 733 were all superheated by the SR but turned out in LSWR livery. 733 is particularly notable as receiving the Eastleigh superheater in June 1923, back into traffic in LSWR livery; then the Maunsell superheater in March 1925, outshopped a second time still in LSWR livery and only getting SR livery in March 1926. They must have been very careful in the erecting shop in Eastleigh!

Tom

jnc likes this.
  4. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

As Jim said Schole's main criterion was originality and 'first of the class', irrespective of the loco's mechanical condition, because they were never expected to run again. That is why locos like 42700 were selected despite being just about worn out. Still it was a shame that Ben Alder, after being stored for so many years, was broken up in the early 60's.
    Ray.

5. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    We shouldn't ever forget that if, in 1967, you'd asked the average enthusiast how many working standard gauge steam locomotives there would be in Britain by 2017, I'll hazard a guess most would have thought it optimistic to give a number in double figures. I wouldn't be suprised if there were more locomotives *in steam this week* than most folks would have thought would survive in any state back then.

Rosedale, ragl, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Didn't they originally have 'cross-tube' fire boxes?

7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Some of them, but not all. Urie started to remove the cross water tubes on those thus-fitted before he started superheating (which conversion presumably required a patch in the outer wrapper of the firebox and new inner fireboxes). The cross water tubes were removed from those locos that had them between 1913 and 1923, and superheaters didn't start to be fitted until 1922.

Tom

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  8. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

One suspects that the decision may have been more down to local management rather than national policy - say, a particular shedmaster exerting pressure to get rid of the engine because it was cluttering up his shed. David Ward's letter in the latest Steam Railway throws interesting light on the subject - according to him, the lack of proper storage space for the preserved locomotives was a real headache, and John Scholes lived in real fear that one day BR would simply send out an edict for the entire National Collection to be cut up!