If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Polish TKh

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by lil Bear, Apr 22, 2016.

1. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I see the owner of TKh 5374 "Vanguard" has been forced to put it up for sale due to ill health. The loco is presently on the Northampton & Lamport, and has received new tanks, smokebox and tube plate during its current overhaul.

Any enquiries to be made to Dr C Wilson on 01604 751032 or < sue @ suewilson.org >.

Despite not being hugely popular, they are incredibly useful locos. 2944 "Hotspur" at CVR has done near 8,000 miles since her return to traffic in June 2014 at the CVR. Being an all welded boiler, it's not the most complex of overhauls and they are powerful locos once in service. Ideal for a low-key railway looking for their own steam locomotive.

6 have survived into UK Preservation, with 2871 & 2944 at CVR (2871 awaiting funds for restoration) whilst 3135 was bought by Swindon & Cricklade. 3138 is in store at Scunthorpe Steelworks awaiting restoration, whilst 4015 is undergoing overhaul at the Flour Mill before returning to her Avon Valley home.

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

I was chatting to the owner of the one from Avon Valley last year and he also says how good of an engine they can be. I saw some photo shops of them in different liveries (could have been Dave G?) And it's surprising how different they can look. Just wish the CVRs wasn't quite so bright. Lol

irwellsteam likes this.
  3. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    I remember talking to one of the crew of the CVR's 2944 on the footplate at the 2014 Anything Goes Gala and IIRC he said it would be roughly a class 4 (or upper end of a class 3?) in BR money - it definitely went like the clappers when it double headed with 69621. I suspect the lack of place to stick a BR crest might count against them in some circles.

I wonder how one might compare vs an austerity tank?

4. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Never been on one but with smaller wheels so should be slower . . . .

5. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Tractive Effort wise I'm sure 2944 more powerful than 6046!

2944 I'd say is a strong 3. Will pull a house down if asked to, but not the most speedy. With 7x Mk1s in tow she just about makes 25mph but then us Fireman also need to be on the ball with her as in such circumstance she is very unforgiving if you get it wrong.

6. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Mr Richards " @FJR8642 " did battleship grey plus a few others for a laugh.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Gav106 likes this.
  7. Steamboy888

Steamboy888 New Member

Signaller
    Hello Hello! Just to give this thread an update, 5374 Vanguard was bought in November 2016 and moved to the Plym Valley Railway. It is currently undergoing a boiler overhaul before re-assembly can take place. Hopefully, this should be done within 2017. Any question fire away!

Martin Perry likes this.
  8. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Glad to hear she has found a home. Best of luck for getting her back in steam :)

9. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    OK, you asked for it :):
    1. What is the reason for the number - is it the works number?
    2. Did it come with a worksplate?
    3. Does it have plate frames? 28mm thick?
    4. Does it have screw or pole reverse?
    5. What is the nominal wheel diameter over tyres? (there seems to be some discrepancy in published sources)
    6. Do you happen to know the outside diameter of the boiler?
    7. Do you happen to know the height of the boiler centre line above rail level? Again, there is a discrepancy in the sources.

As you may know, these locos were used in Chinese industry as Class XK13, being the lightest of such 0-6-0Ts used there by 1o tonnes (but having the longest wheelbase), and the only ones driving onto the centre axle. This class will figure in my next-but-one volume on Chinese locos.

Many thanks.
    Robin Gibbons
    www.tynedale-publishing.com

10. Steamboy888

Steamboy888 New Member

Signaller
    Hello
    The works number is 17633. I believe 5374 is PKP's number. All members were assigned a PKP number, even though only a few ran on the mainline for PKP. 5374 didn't. 5374 has a screw reverser and I believe all members of the class do. I don't think they came with original worksplates. Certaintly, I don't have one for 5374. I will get the other information in a couple of days.
    Cheers

11. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Do the two discrepancies match?

12. huochemi

Actually the mismatch is exacerbated. Tomasz Galka's site has two drawings, one of which is the same as the one in Parowozy. Parowozy shows 1150mm and 2200mm respectively (my Polish is non-existent but I assume the former is the wheel diameter). The dimensions on this drawing do not seem to scale between themselves. Jiche Gaiyao 机车概要 1975, a Chinese official publication, gives dimensions for all (well, nearly all) loco types then in use in China, and gives 1100mm and 2375mm for the XK13. Jiche Gaiyao's dimensions for these two measurements for the XK2 (the "USA" tank) are bang on comparing with the official drawings, but I have no other data on which to form a judgement for the Tkh / XK13.

Thanks. Not sure I understand the works number you quote. The Chrzanów numbers I have seen reported for the Tkh (and Tkp) are in the ranges 2xxx, 3xxx and 5xxx. 5374 would therefore fit in well with the works number. My knowledge of Polish locos though is limited so I defer to those with greater knowledge.

13. Steamboy888

Steamboy888 New Member

Signaller
    Hello again.
    I've asked my polish friends to get a better idea (they will surely know). But 17633 I think corresponds to the actual works number, it's quoted in all the original documentation for the engine. Looking the locomotive.com.pl , it says the XXXX number is a serial number. This follows better.

Actually, after some translation I've just found the difference. XXXX is the serial number/works number. The XXXXX number is th works neumber for the boiler, which is displayed on a worksplate just under the regulator bracket on the backhead.

Hope this helps

14. huochemi

Thanks. I have since noticed that there is an image by Keith Chester of what he says is 5374 at Huta Ostrowiec steelworks in Locomotives International No 17, and in the caption Chester says "Makers number unknown" which rather suggests that he thinks that 5374 may not be the works number.

15. Steamboy888

Steamboy888 New Member

Signaller
    Hi
    Is there any chance you could copy that photo? I would love to see it as I don't have any photos of her during her working life. 5374 is the works number. I can almost guarantee it.
    Cheers
    Marc

16. huochemi

PM sent.