If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Penrhyn Quarry Railway - Jubilee 1879

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Steve B, Oct 1, 2016.

1. clam1952

clam1952 New Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think people are more concerned about if this is the end of the project rather than the reason for the rapid exit.

2. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

True, but if the reason affects the ability to restart the project, then it'd be useful to know that.

3. meeee

meeee Member

The problem with being all secretive about is that.

A. Everyone is going to find out anyway but probably not in a way you want them too.

And B. Everyone will wildly speculate in the meantime until they do find out.

Neither of which are helpful if you want to regain trust in this project.

Tim

MuzTrem and Stan loco like this.
  4. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Bit of a potential teifi situation here, that was all hushed up for a while but the truth came out in spectacular fashion

5. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    And C. This thread will either exceed its webspace quota or be locked! :)

6. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

And still nothing to the paid up Penrhyn Railway Supporters.... I'm still waiting to claim my 5 free trips....

7. clam1952

clam1952 New Member

Retired
    Probably be a long wait, now the track has vanished.....

weltrol likes this.
  8. exiled gog

exiled gog New Member

9. exiled gog

exiled gog New Member

The track has been lifted but is still (was last Tuesday) on a wagon next to Oil Shed.
    I am frustrated like many people as to why the events of last month have not yet been explained leading to the age old phenomon of the rumour mill, with all the problems that brings.
    I have tried to remain positive about recent events, and want to find a way forward for the railway. Some of the comments on this forum have not been as supportive which saddens me.

10. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    The Teifi Valley Railway's situation looked hopeless a few years ago. With goodwill and cooperation all round the PQR might yet make it back. Can it be assumed there's some form of constitution or rules which have to be satisfied? It's one thing to keep the world at large in the dark, quite another to ignore your own membership, unless, in reality, it's little more than a 'supporters club'.

11. exiled gog

exiled gog New Member

Hello 30854,

Thank you for your kind comments.
    The original supporters society Penrhyn Quarry Railway Society is a properly constituted society, however at the AGM in 2013 there was an attempt to expel a member which the membership voted against, this single item took nearly four hours! As a result of which the management of the Penrhyn Railway decided to set up a new supporters organisation. There is a seperate extensive forum on the events of that AGM.
    The new supporters organisation is more of a 'friends of the Penrhyn Quarry Railway' A 'friend' bought Fermlee which should have been running this summer at Felin Fawr.
    As I see it there are three issues here:
    Firstly what has happened at Felin Fawr which resulted in the Penrhyn Quarry Railway and Penrhyn Railway Engineering, which was a business gaining a very good reputation for it's products and considered proffesional enough to restore Jubilee
    Second where does the Penrhyn Quarry Railway re- establish itself?
    Finally and I take no pleasure in saying this managing the Casandras of the railway preservation world. Sadly there are people out there who were not happy about our success, why? I have no idea, and that saddens me.
    The Penrhyn Quarry Railway will return

12. clam1952

clam1952 New Member

Retired
    Nothing is impossible with the right motivation and enthusiasm, just going to take a lot longer now I guess.

13. exiled gog

exiled gog New Member

Hello 30854,

Thank you for your kind comments.
    The original supporters society Penrhyn Quarry Railway Society is a properly constituted society, however at the AGM in 2013 there was an attempt to expel a member which the membership voted against, this single item took nearly four hours! As a result of which the management of the Penrhyn Railway decided to set up a new supporters organisation. There is a seperate extensive forum on the events of that AGM.
    The new supporters organisation is more of a 'friends of the Penrhyn Quarry Railway' A 'friend' bought Fermlee which should have been running this summer at Felin Fawr.
    As I see it there are three issues here:
    Firstly what has happened at Felin Fawr which resulted in the Penrhyn Quarry Railway and Penrhyn Railway Engineering, which was a business gaining a very good reputation for it's products and considered proffesional enough to restore Jubilee
    Second where does the Penrhyn Quarry Railway re- establish itself?
    Finally and I take no pleasure in saying this managing the Casandras of the railway preservation world. Sadly there are people out there who were not happy about our success, why? I have no idea, and that saddens me.
    The Penrhyn Quarry Railway will return

14. exiled gog

exiled gog New Member

Apologies. Did not read my copy before posting.
    Should have said something along the lines of 'why has the railway and Penrhyn Railway Engineering been evicted from Felin Fawr.