If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Not much to report this weekend as the heavy snow has meant that normal service was cancelled, idid nip down midweek and do some faulting ,the lads were busy doing various work and inspections on Pioneer at Darley, Pete has been continuing on the windows for the Matlock box on Saturday.

the following are some of the events as listed in this years timetable online from the railways` own website, DISCLAIMER; as with anything this is subject to change.,alteration and cancellation,looks interesting with the late WW2 event also.

SPECIAL EVENTS 2010

Steam in to Spring - April 3rd, 4th, 5th 2010
    A fun day for all the family to get involved with our hugely popular treasure hunt event. Clues can be found on the train and at Rowsley South and Darley Dale Stations. Normal fares and timetable in operation with FREE sweets for the children taking part. Please telephone 01629 580381 for further details.

48624 Steamy Special - May 1st & 2nd 2010
    An intensive passenger service on both days featuring the only Southern built 8F locomotive left in preservation. On Saturday evening enthusiasts will be treated to the opportunity to photograph this magnificent engine pulling a selection of LMS freight.
    This event will also see our recently restored turntable in use for the very first time at Rowsley South Station. Special timetable and fares apply to this event. For further information please telephone 01629 580381.

Diesel Mania Weekend - May 8th & 9th 2010
    47635, 37152, 44008, 31270 & by kind permission of The Heritage Shunters Trust 08016 will take to the rails with an intensive timetable featuring both passenger and freight operation. HST will be supporting this event by providing Brake Van rides with a selection of their industrial locomotives. Special timetable and fares apply. For further information please contact 01629 580381.

Local Residents Weekend - June 5th & 6th 2010
    An opportunity for local people to travel on the railway FREE of charge (conditions will apply) and learn how a heritage railway operates and to see at first hand the work undertaken by our many volunteers. Further information please contact 01629 580381.

Anything Goes Weekend - July 10th & 11th 2010
    A weekend not to missed featuring diesel locos 37152, 44008, 31270 & 47635 together with are own 0-6-0 ST "Royal Pioneer", plus by kind permission of The Heritage Shunters Trust's 08016 & D9525. An intensive timetable of both passenger and freight working, plus the opportunity to see a demonstration by our working steam crane and a chance to witness our newly restored turntable in operation. Special timetable and fares apply to this event. For further information please contact 01629 580381.

1940s Weekend - August 7th & 8th 2010
    Join us for an action packed weekend as we take you back to the era of WWII and recreate scenes that was once experienced by both civilians and armed forces alike. Browse around living history displays including field nurses encampment, weapons training, authentic cooking by camp fire, mine detection, radio equipment and Anderson shelter. To keep the children entertained there's a Punch and Judy show whilst you sit back and relax to the sounds of the brass band. Professional entertainers will keep you dancing and singing to sounds of the times. The highlight of each day is the truly magnificent battle re-enactment between the German and Allied forces complete with military vehicles, firearms and pyrotechnics which will leave you thinking you've been transported back to war torn Europe. So why not join us for this weekend of nostalgia and relive the era that was the 1940's. Special timetable and fares apply to this event. For further information please contact 01629 580381.

"The Shunter Hunter Extravaganza - The Second Coming" - October 23rd & 24th 2010
    Following on from the well received event last year, The Heritage Shunters Trust will take to the rails for another two day intensive service using exclusively BR diesel shunting locomotives working on passenger trains. Also Brake Van rides from the loading dock, (with D2337 debuting amongst others), taking you to view the rest of the collection in the shed. A special souvenir stock book will be issued free with all tickets over the weekend.
    Special timetable and fares apply to this event. For further information please contact Andrew Wilson on 01274 664208 or visit http://www.heritageshunters.co.uk

World War II Winter Camp - 7th November 2010
    The scene is the Hurtgen Forest in Germany towards the end of the war. See the US First Infantry Division and German units in foxholes. Experience the day to day living of troops on the front line with Patrols out on both days. This event is free to the public. Steam train in operation running to the normal timetable and fares. Contact Jeremy Field for further information on peakcatering@hotmail.com

Santa and Steam Specials - 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 19th, 23rd & 24th December 2010, advance booking required.
    Santa invites you to board his festive steam train at Rowsley South Station for the start of a truly traditional family Christmas. Santa assisted by his many helpers saunters through the train bearing marvellous gifts for every boy and girl. To get parents and other members of the family into the Christmas spirit, wine and freshly baked minced pies will be served as you sit back and take pleasure in being entertained by professional clowns, magicians and balloon modellers. If that wasn't enough then why not join in and sing along to well known carols with the piano accordionists. Santa's booking office opens on the 1st October so please book early to avoid disappointment. Special timetable in operation. Telephone Santa's Little Helpers on 01629 580381. Booking is essential. See 'Further Information' below.

2. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

What are the length and weight limits for your new turntable, and axle weight limit for the line as a whole, for that matter?
    Just wondering what visiting locos you might be able to take if tours can proceed beyond Matlock.

3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    think its somewhere approaching 70 foot, can only remember it was the MOLD JCN TURNTABLE,sleepermonster should be able to give you better details on this as its outside my knowledge boss!!!

4. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Mold Junction turntable is 60' diameter.

The limiting factor on visiting engines is Bridge 35 at Matlock, which has an axle loading of around 18 tons. Black 5 yes, West Country yes, Jubilee or heavier, no. You may remember the visit by Flying Scotsman in 2000. It did not work over the bridge and all trsains were worked by 4472 art one end and a J94 at the other. Photographs of the bridge can be seen at www.bridgeinspections.co.uk, the site of RSI who were asked to inspect the bridgesome years ago. Othershort bridges on the railway were built to 25 ton axleloads.

Tim

5. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Thanks guys. So, just as a theoretical example, a B1 with with an axle load of 17.75 tons and a wheelbase of 52+ feet could use both the line and the turntable, right? Or are there railings round the TT which would get in the way of the buffers?

6. Midland Relic

Midland Relic New Member

Darley Dale Footbridge

Both smoke deflectors now removed from the arch and stored. In good fettle, one is two pieces joined together by a weld, the other is a held by a strip of steel bolted on. They’ll go back on the new support brackets as they are, apart from blasting and painting.

Have worked out which side of the arch is which now (it’s not entirely symmetrical), which will be helpful as the junction between the arch and the staircase sides will be the original, just as it was.

Some smaller cast iron parts from the bridge were found lying in the grass where the staircases had been, so they have been collected and put away. It will be nice to avoid having a pattern made for these, as we’ve now found them all.

All ready to be moved to Rowsley now, just waiting on combining the crane and lorry required with another job on the railway.

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    im not down weekend so its a mid week update this time, as this weekend im at the Chapel-en-le-Frith model railway exhibition (sorry! shameless plug there)

S&T

The token machines between Church Lane and Rowsley and the sprung trap point ground frame at Rowsley North were shown to the inspector today successfully, also the finishing off the red paint on the Matlock box was completed, Pete and Myself will be down Friday to glaze one of the windows in the Vandalproof/handgunproof polycarbonate, we plan to replace all the panes with this stuff so we dont have to have roller shutters or window boards and its also less than a third of the cost of the other alternatives,plus its easier to glaze and reglaze as it has its own special beading rather than puttying.

the gate locks at darley dale have been having problems with water ingress freezing up in the locks,new covers have been made and are in my workshop awaiting painting and finishing (for workshop see house!!!!)

Diesel Crane

Having some maintenance done on it at present to keep it tiptop!

Darley Dale

Sleeper changing machine has been out in service.

the Midland style fence posts on the down platform have started to be creosoted,looks very nice!

Rowsley

Noted the turntable being worked upon,also the narrow gauge gang,pway fishplate greasing on site and Chris was doing some work on the class 50`s in their workshop as well as Harvey working on the buffet car with some repanelling and works inside the coach, other works around the site were also ongoing including unloading all the waggons full of trees that were cut down from Riverside.

-Will update more on Friday.

Model railway news

Tim`s looking at possibly! having another batch of local private owner waggons made up as he did previously to support the Rowsley waggon fund, its very early days yet, il let him publish any news on this as this is his ballcourt!!!

Finally can i suggest if your up our way at Chapel-en-le-frith to come visit the Model Railway exhibition organised by the New Mills and District Railway Modellers at Long Lane school top of the town, both saturday and sunday,doors open around 10ish and close around 5pm,youl see some of the railways around ,I know Ian and myself have layouts in show, the exhibition supports local charities too.

all the best

dominic

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    i forgot to add the word volunteers, my typo,sorry!!

Finally can i suggest if your up our way at Chapel-en-le-frith to come visit the Model Railway exhibition organised by the New Mills and District Railway Modellers at Long Lane school top of the town, both saturday and sunday,doors open around 10ish and close around 5pm,youl see some of the railways volunteers[/COLOR around ,I know Ian and myself have layouts in show, the exhibition supports local charities too.

9. tilling

tilling New Member

retired
    PEAK RAIL FORUM ON GOOGLEGROUPS
    This has disappeard for some reason, anybody know why?

10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    if youre on about the old one,it got taken down, the new one is "peak rail enthusiasts" (sorry havent got link from this pc here at work!) but if you search google groups youl find the new one..theres an explanation on the new group as to what happened without getting into the politics!!!!

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    a small update here, spent the day with Pete fitting the new windows to one panel of theex- luffenham box,alot easier it is too and no putty problems either.will be continuing next saturday too,as well as fitting the new tops to darley dale gate locks in the evening.

Elsewhere the council contractors have been chopping down the forrest thats overgrown the land off Harrisons way which will become part of the recycling centre, this based on the old sidings land between ourselves and the line to the old station at Rowsley Village,its reminiscent of when we first moved into Rowsley as theyve removed about 400 square metres so far.

at the other end of the line i noted for the first time today the new flats on the island at Riverside,built on the old gasworks, bit strange to see a new sign pronouncing "MATLOCK HISTORIC SPA TOWN " at the entrance to the town to then be confronted by these things, not very awe inspiring for the town to say the least!!!!

more next week!

12. Petwall

Petwall Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just to add a little detail to Dominic's post
    We are currently reglazing the entire box with 5mm clear polycarbonate. This is an almost unbreakable material and will easily stop a well aimed housebrick. The reasons for this work are that it will cost less than a quarter of the price of roller shutters and as the box will occupy quite a prominent position alongside the new Matlock bypass it will look good all the time. If any one is interested here is a link to the website of the makers of the material, full specs are available to download.
    http://www.palram.com/htmls/product.aspx?c0=12682&bsp=14180

The box has 86 panes each one aprox 12" x 18" and it is a slow job to carefully remove the old putty and glass without damaging the woodwork. Cutting the polycarb is easy you just use a jigsaw or handsaw, despite its immense strength it cuts almost as easy as plywood. Reglazing is achieved using silicone adhesive and a white 12mm upvc quadrant beading with stainless steel pins.
    We have estimated that at the current rate it will take to around mid May to complete the reglazing. If anyone wants to help then I am sure it could be done much quicker and the "March into Matlock" can then really get underway

Hope this helps
    Pete.

13. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover New Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is also Peakrailgossip at Yahoo Groups. A completely un moderated group that has a facility for anonymous postings.

Jamie Glover.

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    well put pete!!

saw quite a few of the volunteers down the exhibition today,i believe theres a photoshoot tonight using the 37,47 and some of the hopper waggons, the locos were being marshalled yesterday .

to add to petes comments, the polycarbonate really is eay to shape,a jigsaw cuts it easily,then a surform shaves it perfectly to fit the window,the beading and stainless steel pins really do finish it all off so easily ,best of all as pete will tell you,you can bend a pane back on itself and itl not break--so tuff stuff!!!

were using the offcuts to make signalling insulations up for both track circuit T pieces and ferrules!!! so no wastage there either.

dom

15. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

What exhibition?

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Chapel-en-le-frith exhibition, saw a few persons fromthe railway there, plus got to ogle some of Tims locos`, something about O gauge you got to love for its touchability, i know i have an OO and an N gauge layout but it really is nice to get nearer the true scale isnt it!!

there are other exhibitions going on this year, bakewell soon then Wirksworth in october,our area seems to have a good run with exhibitions, quite a few places nearer the cities have stopped doing them more recently, one thing we have tried to do is to encourage fringe aspects of modelling more,such as toy soldiers,model engineers,model boats, local orgs, we wven had a SCX scale model racing circuit this time which was a big yes with the public at the exhibition,as was the Thomas layout and Underground Ernie layout all of which get the kids involved at an early age

we should have our own peak rail exhibition you know, specially with the german modellers at Rowsley, Tim,Me,Ian and Sues layouts,David etc,we could all run a good show!!!

17. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I'm game for an exhibition if you are. Personally I prefer O gauge because these days I need reading glasses, and also an O gauge locomotive gives the impression of being a proper little engine setting off on business of its own. There is absolutely no reason why we should not organise an exhibition in the loco shed, for example at the HST gala later this year. By then I'm hoping to have the next batch of local PO wagons in full swing. There are is a nice wide apron between Nos. 2 and 3 roads, rope off any hazards and there you go. They do it at Barrow Hill. Why not us?

Tim

18. Superheater

Superheater New Member

Toolmaker/Precision Engineer and Jack of all Trade
    Tim,
    That's a great idea to host a model rail exhibition in the shed, If extra space was needed i'm sure it wouldn't take much effort to make some plates/boards to cover parts of the pits. Nice bit of woodwork for the LMSCA ? Get the lighting finished too... Nothing to stop us having a temporary 3&1/2"/5" gauge track out in front of the shed, where we normally park our cars.... Know it means a bit of work, but once it's made it's made. I'm pretty sure we could put on a cracking show !!!!

Simon H.

19. chrisj94

chrisj94 New Member

Agreed,so much could be made of the shed space.
    As an example,the Midland Railway Centre hold regular music festivals,making use of the diesel depot and other railway facilities.
    I'm sure use could be made of the large car park we have also. There a number of people on the railway with connections with the Traction Engine scene,what about organising a small rally,or the same with classic cars?

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    im game for it, ive got two layouts, one works itself"!!!, indeed i remember the cvr doing this in their carriage shed and it was quite popular as the area didnt have owt like that, why not see if something could be progressed as a sideline as it could add into any other event,

a couple of things would nned to be considered

1.st john on hand
    2.cover insurance for model exhibitors, we do this through our own cheaply at nmdrm,worth contacting as they can get this done very cheaply
    3.ask nmdrm to borrow their steel roping off posts,we have 72 off these, this would be advisable in the shed as you could then rope off the unaccesible areas of the shed that you wouldnt want anyone to go to such as workshop etc
    4.nmdrm also do pat testing which youd need to cover yourself electrically and can supply electrical bits .

5.maybe some more nmdrm lads could bring exhibits too,as some live locally!

i can put you in touch with rex at the nmdrm who would tellyou all the pitfalls of exhibitions etc, but definitely worth progressing the idea with the railway at least.