If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    its january 19th, there is also a schematic map of the venue on the peak rail website,if you look down the left hand links under branch meetings.

dom

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Thanks dom. I will try and attend. It gives me an excuse to travel up from Hereford to see my father, 94 years young, who still lives in Dronfield.

Out of courtesy I should of course ask you if a non-member can attend?

Thanks

3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    other non members have attended before,a donation to the cause usually helps in this matter if you wish,if you want to contact the gentleman concerned email me and il give you his email.

gravedan...@care4free.net

4. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Thanks. I've now read the Branch News on the main website and it does say meetings open to all.

Looking foreward to that, might see you there.

5. Midland Relic

Midland Relic New Member

Darley Dale Footbridge

Drawings gone off to be scanned and reproduced as a jpg file to make life easier for engineer and contractors, think we'll get some hard copies done as well.

Paperwork for first grant application is forging on, looks good so far.

Money from raffle is in, fantastic contribution, and together with £500 from the Chesterfield Branch (thanks folks), we have almost all the match funding required for the first phase of reconstruction.

Next jobs on the To Do list;

The smoke hoods need cutting off the arch, to reduce the overall width of the structure prior to transportation from Butterley. 16 bolts to snip, any takers to wield an angle grinder?

Foundations on the Down platform need to be excavated to allow inspection.

I'm organising shot blasting of the staircases and the arch later this year. Plenty of brush work after that, would appreciate some willing painter monkeys.

6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    and midland relic will be happy to hear the s and t have got all the equipment into one location by the crossing today so that the footbridge steps can go in place when it all goes off.

were looking at the relocation of the ex bamford box now in line with the footbridge project,the box needs to go to rowsley to be reused there and to allow for repairs to the plywooded ends done in BR days, which need to be re-midlanded in t&g boarding and the box to get a good repaint too.

there may be more on this very soon but as its involved in other aspects of both the footbridge and station projects il leave it till i can give some facts rather than gossip.

ps also to note, from the Peak Rail forum, one of our chaps spotted the trailer for the new film "WOLFMAN" which has a short CGI clip showing a southern region steam loco travelling over the Monsal head viaduct!!!

the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKyeMQcUNY

dom

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Well the snow has finally gone and now the thaw has caused some localised floods, on the S&T we did some more wiring up under Church Lane box and then moved onto fitting the supports and pipework for the Darley Dale signalbox stove, more bits to manaufacture at home next for this.

the box at rowsley(ex Luffenham) is ready to start painting, and were looking at various quotes fromcrane companies for to move the redundant Darley Dale big box (ex Bamford).

the new charger seems to be running ok, once wed found a disconnected wire on the charger!!!..

AGM

was the AGM this weekend,i didnt attend as was busy with the above but believe some discussions were in hand regarding the proposed cycleway/up the valley etc,bridges to cross etc.

Rowsley

people were working at Rowsley on various things,i didnt get that far as to see what projects were being done, but believe Tim was trying to get down and work on his waggon and various lads were working on Royal Pioneers ashpan.

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Had a nip down today to check on a few s&t bits, while down noted the lads had fitted Royal Pioneer`s ashpan and were testing her to check for leaks etc.

Carriage and waggon lads were working on the buffet saloon coach down their shed.

From the bulletin board notice, we had around 7000 tickets for the Santa Specials this year,which was good, the Derwent and Wyve Valley railway trust have also gained a grant to have visitor information / interpretation boards made (similar to the lmsca ones) on various items around Rowsley such as the Turntable etc.

lastly the railway have been discussing with the Peak Park planning board the subject of the proposed cycleway and will be involved at future meetings on this matter,with the possible advantage that both sides could bring to one another.

in our local paper "The Buxton Advertisor" and otherl ocal papers weve seen some articles on the upcoming Micheal Portillo segment of Great British Railway Journeys as he visited the line on his final journey from Buxton to London,which appear next week,should be BBC2 on monday,about 630pm ish!

dom

9. Superheater

Superheater New Member

Toolmaker/Precision Engineer and Jack of all Trade
    Finally got away about 18:00 after another intense day of engine re building, Left Robin steam raising.You don't have to be mad to volunteer, but it helps ! An extra bonus of the ashpan fitting was the chance to fit a new smoke box floor, As the old one was , shall we say "Tired" there was more ash under it than I thought possible. Rob got some new plate , 10mm thick ! that should last a while !
    Should be back to 8F duties on Sat, Give fire grate a real good clean up and sort out giving her a wash out I hope !

See you on the Railway,

Simon H.

10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    S&T

with the weather looking like a cold and dry weekend,il be priming and painting the ex luffenham signalbox.possibly trying to get the roof mounted part of the stove done also at Darley if theres time.

Carriage and waggon

Harveys been repairing window sections on various things as well as other items.

PWAY

sleeper packing ongoing around the rowsley end.

i will update some more once ive been down tommorow

dom

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    S&T

The Luffenham box has been primed and painted in its base coats, the stove at Darley Dale Continues, Robin has finished the token/Annets keys.

C&W

The LMSCA have been busy working on the NRM coach,attending to the doors with some new pieces being made to replace the life expired parts.

Loco

lads were working on the loco shed at Rowsley, The HST lads were also busy as was the Class 50 group,Royal Pioneer was out and about on Pay And Play all day, and various people were going about the shop and Darley Dale workshop.

dom

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    picture of the box in its base coats of paint,

also noted yesterday the narrow gauge volunteers were relaying sections of the DDNGR trackwork..

dom

13. Superheater

Superheater New Member

Toolmaker/Precision Engineer and Jack of all Trade
    Latest Update is that the FREE forum that we all thought we could post comments on our activities ( google groups ) has been removed from existence ! Not quite sure what caused it, but so much for free speech !
    No offence meant to anyone but deleting a group is a bit strong on the censorship front to me.......

Simon.

14. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Funnily enough its the second time it has happened. You can read the story which directly led to the first closure on this website. Do a search for "memoirs" and you will come up with "Memoirs of a railway volunteer". Have a look at part 10, which if I have the numbering right, will be "The day the Duke fell off".

Tim

15. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hmmm - sounds like yet more of the "us and them" attitude which has afflicted PR to a greater or lesser extent through out its existence and driven many volunteers away, including myself.

Iain

16. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Iain - i agree, this is one of the reasons that i to have drifted away.

17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    has it definitely been removed, i know its been many days since i last was able to access it, but i cant see anywhere that says its been taken down at their end!!!,just that it cant be found? this happened not long back to another website then popped up again a week later!, cant understand what would be gained from taking it down as you can always set up another one elsewhere anyway, and with the amount of people who were on it all asking the same questions then the idea of taking it down to stop questions being asked simply makes people ask even more, bit self defeating, do we have more factual details on this pls and what has happened..

no one down the line has mentioned its been taken down,why????

dom

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    anyhow gents, and more importantly i started this forum to let the world know what weve been doing as a railway,what the various departments have been upto etc, NOT as a forum against any persons or groups within the railway or opinions , no one would like me writing comments or opinions etc about their projects or operations so i dont, so could i ask you to keep the "whats occuring forum" as strictly a factual blog please about what weve been upto restoration wise etc,likewise can we have some more blogs from those who read this and volunteer down the line.

no politics on this blog please gents, i dont volunteer to do politics,i volunteer to see our projects get restored..having seen many years of railway politics from various lines -make another blog for that if you feel you need to please.

many thanks all

dom

19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    have checked out the relevant links to the RAILWAY EYE etc, and youre right it does appear to have been removed, the new site for open discussion for anyone who wishes to check it out is

http://fina nce.gro ups. yahoo.com/group/peakrail-enthusiasts/

ps ive put a space in between the words groups and finance on the above link for obvious anti spamming reasons

dom

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    only a tiny update this week chaps from my own dept, as i was with my other hat on over at the CVR gala, weve fitted the pipe part through the roof on darley dale and ive found more fittings for the top part of the stove pipe, also with the lads of the CVR weve jointly recovered some more signalling items for both railways benefit...

will be down this friday painting the second coat on the ex luffenham box,plus doing the front too(thats the plan!),then back to maintenance on sunday...assuming weather suits painting on friday,else itl be jiggered around over the weekend.

dom