If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Oswestry Update

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ilvaporista, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Great news and great to have local council support.

echap, 30854 and ilvaporista like this.
  2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Indeed keep checking back and there will be further news I hope very soon. Like so many things there are many inter connected items and once one falls in to place the others follow. The key point is the massive amount of background work that has gone on to unlock these funds. Many of us see just the glossy bits at the front such as the loco and coach. I would like to publically thank the team that made this award happen and you deserve credit for this and what is to come. 2018 will be a big year for the whole CHR project.

desperado, echap, NevilleKing and 4 others like this.
  3. desperado

desperado Member

In an ideal world, the railway, the town council & the highways depart would have agreed a set of targets for the railway to achieve after which the highways department would do their bit.

4. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

@ilvaporista having come across your blog I really enjoy reading it. I think regular blogs with regular updates are critical - even if the blog is ‘we cut down one tree today’ because it shows progress and the railway an active place. (One of the criticisms of some of the new build projects and the avr has been lack of update).

Daddsie71b, 30854, TommyD and 2 others like this.
  5. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    We are not quite in an ideal world but there are many interconnections. The town council would not want to be seen to invest money if there was no prospect of bridge works. Now the first news is out it will be followed by more, I hope quickly but it's not my decision on timing.

30854 and echap like this.
  6. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Thank you for your kind words. The objective was to keep the updates coming after the forum went to members only. One of the reasons this happened was that information on the forum was used in a formal objection to the works order. May other projects take that as a warning. After that I volunteered to start a specific blog to see how it went. A confession I have to make is that I am not Oswestry based, infact this is being posted from an airport on the opposite side of the world. But the many volunteers on the ground keep me fed with information and we all passionately believe in our project.

30854, Bertie Lissie, TommyD and 4 others like this.
  7. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    As an extra note the mid week sessions are proving a big hit so we will try also Tuesdays as well. First one next week working on the coach.

TommyD, echap, Monkey Magic and 2 others like this.
  8. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Reading between the lines over the past few years, the amount of co-operative effort towards regeneration around Oswestry (CHR, Local Authority and several other projects) is heartening to see. Certainly it's a goal worth achieving for all parties involved.

9. hoffman

hoffman New Member

It's also in a wonderful part of the country! (for anybody who hasn't been there I would recommend the area)

10. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    There was a discussion around about posts 308 & 309 on the infilled Bridge 81 south of Pant (south of Llynclys) where the railway crosses the canal. Both of which are subject to restoration plans. Neither are likely to get there soon as both societies have other priorities (newts and progressing north). However, the infill has been removed to towpath level allowing a flat walk along the disused canal. The wing wall to the bridge on the non-towpath canal side has a slight lean and digging the canal channel out without demolition would seem courageous.

11. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    With regards to the canal bridge, in my opinion if ever the saying was justified...
    We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

To be honest that is so far in the future and many steps away from becoming reality to spend too much time debating it
    What is important is that both groups have the desire to get there. Logically the only way for the CHR to get there is on a round about route via the old Potts Line and even before reaching this point there are bigger issues to overcome, such as two missing river bridges. If at that time with an operating railway of some 10 miles there is still the desire for further expansion then a project can be proposed. To fund such a project would be a big task and highly unlikely that operating revenues would pay for more than a minute portion.

What I think is more important is to keep a watching brief on the trackbed and to ensure that any potential route is not built on.

And yes it is an amazingly beautiful part of the world!!

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  12. Henry the Green Engine

Henry the Green Engine New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is going south from Oswestry the top priority? Surely, linking to the main line at Gobowen is more important, then locals can use it to go somewhere by changing at Gobowen. Pleasure steam trips as well from Llynclys through Oswestry to the main line (and beyond with a main line ticket) Gobowen opens up so much more potential than Llynclys on its own ever could.

Is there any physical progress northwards?

13. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    There are two parts to the project. The line from Oswestry to Gobowen and the line south of Oswestry.

Going north work has been done to behind the new development of flats and basic line clearance up to the junction at Gobowen. Also the station ay Gobowen has had the bay tidied up and years of junk removed. Now that the station has been sold to a local trust more work can be done.

A key point about going north is the A5 level crossing. That is a major trunk road and indications are that regular use of the crossing will not be approved. The dualling of the A5 is long overdue and that would mean a bridge over the railway avoiding the crossing issue.

This part of the line is planned to be a community rail link but needs very significant investment beyond current resources.

Going south from Oswestry there is the option of first trains to Weston and later to link to Llynclys.

14. Allegheny

Allegheny Member

I would have thought that the A483 crossing (south of Oswestry) would be equally as problematic as the A5 crossing.

15. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Yes and No is probably the simplest answer... The pressure is on to have both points bridged.

echap likes this.
  16. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

what is the realistic future for Llynclys south ? the station being in private ownership presumably presents a serious obstacle to joining the sections up . I apologise for asking but I presume the line is a challenge beyond penygarreg ?

17. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I'd say a bit more than a challenge beyond Pen Y Garreg... The locals beyond the current railhead are not exactly railway supporters!
    Going past the old station at Llynclys is an open topic and there have been many discussions and proposals, what happens will depend on the situation at that time. It's a bit of a way off at the moment and trains are unlikely to be passing there in the next couple of years.
    (edit)
    Unless my six numbers come up then that is the first property I will be buying for my retirement...

18. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

I've always had a 'soft spot' for this railway having spent many happy hours on Oswestry station as a kid in the early 60's and have been following the CHR's progress with interest. Thanks to ilvaporista we can all now keep up to date. I am, however, a little curious about the long term plans. Obviously the short term aim is to operate a heritage service to Weston Wharf and then extend south towards Llynclys, there is also the community railway aspect to Gobowen but where does the Llynclys Junc. to Blodwell Junc. section fit in? It seems that clearance/maintenance work is being carried out on that section but to what end? Surely it would be better to concentrate all one's resources on one section wouldn't it? The Llynclys South to Pen-y-Carreg section seems to 'stand alone' - is this a throwback to Ken Ryder's days? Where do the Tanat Valley group up at Nantmawr fit in to the whole scheme?
    As an outsider it looks as if there are several disparate schemes working in parallel.
    Ray.

19. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I am not the best or most informed person to be able to comment on all those points. The line to Blodwell junction is there and will come in to play at some point. For the moment it is having some work done to maintain access and the stolen rails will be replaced. As it is there it is best to hold on to it even if not top priority. The line at Llynclys was established for good reasons at the time and is a key part of the scheme. I would guess that if what has happened since was known at the time things may have been done differently. The key is to integrate the operations. And this is where the Tanat valley is not so clear. The group is independant of CHR.
    My personal like would be a Y platform at Blodwell with tours up the Tanat valley line exploring the mineral and industrial past linking with the archelogical sites.
    From Pen Y Garreg I would like to see connections to the canal restoration with multiple mode trips, rail, canal and vintage road transport.
    That is not something that will happen in the short term but would showcase the area and it's history in the development of industry.

30854, echap, TommyD and 2 others like this.
  20. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    More arrivals yesterday...

Another load of around 300 sleepers to be made ready, this time they have gone to the Weston end, so we will have work going on at three sites to feed the extension.
    The rough timing for the excavation work on the bridge is 'Easter' but a date needs to be finally fixed. That will make four work sites so we need more volunteers to help us use our grant. Fancy lending a hand?

echap and 30854 like this.