If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Old lady who knows everybody.

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by RalphW, Oct 22, 2006.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There is this old lady who lives near me and she will often rush out to stop anyone passing for a chat.
    Some months back she asked me what I was doing at the week end. I replied that I had been to Holyhead to meet the Duchess of Sutherland. Oh yes she replied, I know her well and my daughter used to work for her.....
    A few weeks ago, I was nabbed again so this time I said I had been to see The Duke of Gloucester. Oh yes she replied, I know him well, my husband used to be a chaffeur for him..
    When I commented last time that I had been to see Leander she was a bit thrown, do you mean Lord Leander she asked...... I knew him well.... :smt002

2. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Haha =D> Thats really funny!
    Joke is for all we know she probably does know them!

3. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Haha good one Ralph. It kind of reminds me of all those times people see you waiting to film and say 'are you waiting for a steam train? Which one is it?'. 'Err, it's the 8F... a freight type thing erm engine yeah...', as you get progressively more embarassed and they just look confused. If it's not 4472 or 4468, or 5972, they won't know it...

4. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We had a woman go into one of our loco Owners gift shops and told the chap behind the counter how nice it was to see the railway allowing them to raise money for a stately home. The poor chap behind the counter then tried desperately to explain that Erlestoke Manor was actually the name of their loco! He didn't bother to try and explain about Bradley Manor, he just lost the will to go on I think.