If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NP Loco of the year

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by david1984, Dec 12, 2008.

1. 7911

7911 New Member

Preserved engine of the year: Martello.
    Seemed to be at a different railway in every edition of the Steam Beano and did the business at all of them.

2. 37255

37255 Guest

Tip for you, try not to study it, it just confuses the brain further! \:D/

3. Matt

Matt Member

1 Main line all round performer for the whole year:

The K1 for putting in some sterling work around the North East and ofcourse for keeping the Jacobite going. Closely followed by 76079 for heading upto Scotland when needed asap.

2 Main line newcomer.

60007, good to see it back in such fine form.

3 Preserved line.

The Q6, an excellent and largely trouble free first full season.

4 Special Award for achievement:

Roger and Marge (of 60007 fame) for stepping in as emergency support crew on the K1 for a day while up in Scotland on holiday!

4. fentmar

fentmar New Member

1) Oliver Cromwell- Worked on 24hrs a day for the first half of the year by a small team to get her back in times and re-enact an important part of british railway history when many doubted she would be ready; surely one of the most emotive days in preservation history; engine subsequently performed brilliantly.

2) 5407- class act that doesn't let anyone down north or south.

3) 78019- Plods along gainfully at the great central week in week out.

4) 4965. 10 years on the main line without failure. Never looked any different than ex-works in its stint and heres to a swift return.

To think that the above doesn't include the incredible returns of 5043, 6115 and 60163- what a year.................

5. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

1. Mainline all round performer for the whole year:
    6233 Duchess Of Sutherland - yet another consistent year for this supremely capable engine, both in the North and in the not-so-familiar South. Highlights for me were the southbound run over the S&C in September - hauling 11 and a dead 57 with no fuss whatsoever and 40+ over Ais Gill, and the Royal Scot in October (5th fastest over Shap in preservation).

2. Mainline Newcomer.
    Got to be 46115 Scots Guardsman for me - only been out on railtours 3 times since August, but each has seen consistent, high quality, and on-time running. This coupled with the loco's rising from the ashes makes it the most impressive newcomer for me.

3 Preserved line loco
    4771 Green Arrow. Okay it was only around for the first 3 months of 2008, but during this time it did sparkle during its visits to the East Lancs, Churnet Valley and North Yorkshire Moors railways, and certainly drew the crowds in.

4 Special Award for achievement:
    It's got to be 60163 Tornado for me; a dazzling achievement of all the preserved era, not just this year.

6. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I'm between Tangmere and Clanline!...

7. Talyllyn07

Talyllyn07 Member

How about a narrow gauge section? Got to be No1 Talyllyn, either that or No8 Llewelen for putting up with me driving for the year lol

8. dhic001

dhic001 Member

1) has got to be a toss up between 45407 and 76079

2) 46115- just look at the reaction to the Carnforth open day etc

3) 9017 Earl Of Berkley, soldiered on until fixed at the Severn Valley, then stole the show there

4) 60163 Tornado of course

Daniel

9. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Under category (3) (preserved line) two other unsung heroes deserving of a mention are standard tanks 80104 at Swanage and 80151 on the Bluebell.

I hardly ever visit the Swanage line without 80104 being in steam. I've had countless runs behind her and am struggling to think of a photographic location where I haven't recorded either her or 80078. Looks right on the line, always performs reliably. Excellent engine, and well-deserving of the current short break at the SDR for maintenance.

Similarly 80151 on the Bluebell - perfect for the line (ex-75A loco on BR days) Always sounds good, reliable (The "slipped tyres" issue, to my knowledge, is the first time there has been any problems with it in 7 years of regular use ) and it looks right with anything from the 100 seaters to Mk i's behind it.

On the subject of the Bluebell, I'm glad someone gave a plug for 5199. Not a contender for the winner in my opinion, but something interesting and a bit different besides being a much-needed reliable performer at a time when the Bluebell Loco Dept has been a bit tight for motive power.

Have to say under Category (4) my vote would have to go to Tornado. Brilliant achievement. I'm looking forward to Feb 14th for my first glimpse of this marvellous machine.

Being a Southern man, 34067 and 35028 would share my vote for category (1) (Main line all round performer) but no question, 4965, 45407 62005 and 76079 (among others) have also done a marvellous job. Pity we don't have 60009 and 71000 among the contenders this year. They have certainly done the main line scene proud over the years, and I hope they can be back to their briliant best next year.

As for categfory (2) (Main line debutant) If 60019 is elegible, she wold get my vote on the strength of a terrific run with the RTC "Bath Christmas Market " special on 6th December. Who says A4's can't climb hills? the climb of Upton Scudamore Bank was absolutely brilliant.

Having said this, 46115 looks marvellous and by all accounts performs well. As someone who for various reasons doesn't have much chance to get up to the North of England, I hope that this engine too will have a chance to follow in the footsteps of 6233 and 60007 and show what it can do down south too. Sadly, I guess that like so many non-SR main line locos it's probably out of gauge for Kent & Sussex.

10. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

Since all the contenders par 3 are ex mainline. I thinks we needs and industrial sectoin. My vote would be for 1210 sir b has performed faultlessly and it help save the kwvr 40th bash

11. 34105

34105 New Member

qualified bum
    45407 For all three! I love the loco

12. But nearly didnt make it!

13. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Seeing as the Category have altered slightly since my first post:

1 Main line all round peformer
    5690 as she always did what was asked of her. A triumphant return to the mainline in my opinion, capped by her flattening Copy Pit on the Cotton Mill \:D/

2 Main Line Newcomer
    70013. Following the will it / wont it in time for the 15 Guinea, it made it and has gone on to genrate interest all over the UK and put in brilliant performances aswell.

3 Preserved Line
    75029 for keeping Whitby services going almost single handely. Special mention for Last Years winner, 4771. Farewell for now, and what a final trip ! =D> If 4 months equalled a year then she would of kept her crown in my opinion.

4 Special Acheivement
    62005 for another very succesful Jacobite season.

14. chrisj94

chrisj94 New Member

Only one obvious choice for me.
    Wd150 Royal Pioneer,here at Peak Rail.
    It has worked virtually every service train of the year for approximately 5 years now,and without any major failures or faults,although I touch wood on that!
    Will be great to have something else running though,just to give Pioneer a rest if nothing else!

15. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

80104 did 132 days in traffic in 2008.
    Approx 9000 miles.

So that would be my Preserved loco of 2008.

30053 deserves a mention; 90 days/ 6000 miles. And 104 years old! How many other locos that old could match it?

Mainline? 34067 of course!

16. 73096

73096 Member

73096, Running 194 Days this year!

I dread to think how many miles, if it does 66 miles every day it runs minimum for a standard service, thats 12,804 miles and then all the nights services. I'd stab a pop at near on 14,000 miles
    \:D/

17. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Amidst all the rush to add Tornado for option 4, can I throw a spanner in the works and suggest the Severn Valley Railway and how it's bounced back from the flooding a mere 18 months ago.

18. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

(....checks to see when the Severn Valley was last classified as a loco....) :-k

19. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Right, I have some nominations, including a forgotten one.

1) Bittern.

2) Scots Guardsman. I knew it was happening, and I STILL didn't believe it.

3) The 01. Making it to the S&D gala at the Bluebell while all those around her fell....

4) Now, this is embarrassing. I can't actually remember who it is, so apologies. Whoever it was, up in the frozen wastelands of the north, who put an engine through a FULL 10 year overhaul in 60 days at the start of the year. It would have taken most of us that long to have found a tarpaulin to cover it in a siding....

20. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

IIRC it was achievement of the year, nothing to do with being a locomotive \:D/