If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Staffordshire 0-6-2T

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Tim Light, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Because it is a unique survivor from a much under represented Railway company. The weak story about it being a 'duplicate' of Taff Vale No28 holds absolutely no water (If that was the case, why wasn't No28 given to the Gwili instead? - another TVR 0-6-2 exists in private hands) especially when compared to other 'duplicates' in the National Collection.
    The fact that it has been given away when previously loans were seen to be adequate. The whole process seems to have avoided the public spotlight; whether that was intentional or not I do not know (though I have my suspicions) and smacks of rank amateurism (The announcement made on someones facebook page ...really? Come on)

Tim Light likes this.
  2. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    There are lots of pre grouping railways not represented at all, why just single out one relative minor railways łocomotive.

As was stated up thread a review is currently being undertaken why not wait to see what is to happen with No28 (and others) before criticizing/comparing with the NS 0-6-2T.

You keep going on about how amateurish the process appears just because it was announced incorrectly but does that invalidate the whole process, when up thread it was also discussed that a long review was undertaken before the decision was taken. Besides do we know that that Facebook posting simply did not jump the gun before a official announcement was made - seams more likely to me.

So I agree with you the announcement could have been better handled, I do not agree with you over the way the process was handled, they have to make difficult decisions and to be quite frank the Mr Angry enthusiast going on and on over his/her pet locomotive probably does not help the process. I also assume all this is fueled by some jumped up journalist looking for a story that really is not there.

3. Martin Perry

Because the NSR was represented and now it is not, that's why.
    Because if a review is ongoing, then the NSR 0-6-2 should not have been disposed of prior to that review being completed.
    There should have been an NRM announcement at the start of the process, never mind at the end, (which there wasn't either).
    Not a pet locomotive of mine, I just don't like the way it has been handled. At all.
    Incorrect on all counts. I presume that a journalist is only 'jumped up' (or 'has an agenda') if you don't agree with them. There is a story out there of how a national asset has been given away ... or are you saying that really hasn't happened and its all our imagination?

4. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I hope you lot are going to invoice SR for all the time you are spending providing stories for them over the next 4 months?

5. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    They would be pretty stupid to base any story on the amateur musings on here - oh hang on a bit;).

Avonside1563 likes this.
  6. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well this is a forum for enthusiasts and preservationists. It seems like a good place for us to discuss both what has happened with the NSR loco and what might happen with the rest of the review.

We could wait for the outcome of the review, by which time the deed will have been done, or we can air our views on the principles that we think could be applied to such a review.

I don't expect for a minute that our amateur musings will influence the NRM's decision making, but I can't see the harm in having a grown-up discussion.

Martin Perry and Greenway like this.
  7. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    I have no beef with the Foxfield (site of the ongoing restoration of a rake of Knotty carriages) but I must confess I'd rather see the 0-6-2 back at Cheddleton, where it spent quite some time back in the 90s.

I wonder if the NRM will take the same attitude to the battery-powered Knotty 0-4-0 that used to be based at Oakamoor and whether, if they were to decide that it is also surplus to requirements, they might deign to speak to the CVR about it?

8. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for discussions on here that's what any Newsgroup is for, my comment was squarly aimed at those journalists who farm such forums for stories, when all you have on here are opinions from bystanders who may only have 1/2 the story (like me!).

GWR4707 likes this.
  9. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    The jumped up journalist refers to my experience with some of them and their arrogance nothing more or less.

The NRM have decided for whatever reason to move it to another organization and have no more responsibility for it, it has now been given to another organisation which is a registered charity that will take care of it and restore it, what's not to like about that, what do you want to happen - for it to go on the open market to the highest bidder?

Wenlock and Johnb like this.
  10. Martin Perry

In case you hadnt noticed I was happy for it to be part of the National Collection.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Miff likes this.
  11. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    I know but I did say "The NRM have decided for whatever reason to move it to another organization and have no more responsibility for it" now my take on this is they must be doing this to cut down on their workload, and there is very probably a political element to this (Cuts, Cuts & More Cuts) hence much earlier I suggested you speak to your MP. I'd not hold my breath on that one at the mo though.

12. Martin Perry

Ah yes 'for whatever reason' ... therein lies the rub.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

13. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    It does, but unless anyone from the NRM makes any statement why that decision has come about we are all just guessing.

14. Martin Perry

Which rather makes your unswerving defence of their actions even more difficult to understand.

15. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    And I thought this was a discussion group, however nowhere have I said I knew exactly why they made the decision they made, and all I did was made assumptions based on the little info that was out there (but it also helped that I had past dealings with NRM staff many years ago & this gave a small insight in how they think). It's very easy, turn off the enthusiast in you and try and put yourself in their shoes - try it you may come to the same conclusions as me!

16. Martin Perry

It is a discussion forum but it is nice to know where someone is coming from when they argue a case.
    Did that a long time ago and I came to a different conclusion, see post #39 for instance. I have seen or heard nothing from any source that justifies the loco being given away.

17. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    So if you put aside for now "the unknown reason that they no longer consider it to be essential for the collection" (we both know you don't but stick with it) what are you looking for instead of the loco being "given away"?

18. Martin Perry

Simple; the loco being loaned, the same as lots of others, to a suitable home (such as Foxfield for instance), with anyone else with a genuine interest, at least being kept in the picture.

19. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    My last word on this as you obviously choose not to get it, there are still management costs even for any loaned item and they have restricted funds now.

20. Martin Perry

No I don't chose to not get it, it just doesn't ring true to me; they can support loan locos in Cornwall, Carmarthenshire or Hampshire but apparently not in the relative proximity of Staffordshire.