If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

No. 60163 Tornado’s main line programme 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Email from A1ST received this morning, tours for the first half of 2017 as follows : -

On Saturday 11th February 2017, Tornado will take ‘The Red Rose’ from London Victoria to Cosford, Telford Central and Shrewsbury. There is a choice of which stop you take, incorporating either a visit to the RAF Museum, the Blists Hill Museum or the gem of a town Shrewsbury.

Wednesday 1st March, will see Tornado haul ‘The Saint David’ from London Paddington to Cardiff, picking up passengers at Slough, Reading and Swindon. The outward journey is via the South Wales Main Line through Bristol Parkway and the Severn Tunnel.

On Saturday 29th April 2017 our tour will set out from Leicester and head to Carlisle. No.60163 Tornado will haul ‘The North Briton’ from Doncaster to Carlisle and Carlisle to Newcastle. This is the first time for the Trust to start a tour from Leicester.

‘The Heart of Midlothian’ on Monday 1st May will set out from Peterborough and head to Edinburgh, picking up at several stops along the way. Tornado will head this train from Newcastle to Edinburgh and back to York. The outward journey from Peterborough to Newcastle and the return journey from York to Peterborough will be hauled by a Class 67 diesel.

Saturday 6th May 2017 will see Tornado head back to her roots with ‘The Talisman’, heading from King’s Cross to York and Darlington. This will give passengers the opportunity to view No.2007 Prince of Wales under construction at Darlington Locomotive Works – by which time, the locomotive will be wheeled. This train will be electric hauled from London to Doncaster.

On Saturday 29th May, ‘The Cornishman’ will head from London Paddington to Penzance, Tornado’s first visit to Cornwall. This tour will have the option of visiting The Eden Project.

The beginning of 2017 will also see Tornado hauling the ‘Belmond British Pullman’ from London Victoria, either as lunchtime Surrey Hills circulars or longer day trips to Bath and Bristol. July and August 2017 will also see Tornado heading the 'Torbay Express'.

2. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just released today...a late summer addition to Tornado's main line programme, and a very welcome one at that. "The Easterling" on August (28th) Bank Holiday Monday features a KGX-Ely-Acle-Gt Yarmouth (and return via Berney Arms) itinerary with very sensible start/ finish times and excellent value which , for those of us travelling in steerage, will be £99 for 290 pure steam miles. Deep Joy!! For details, see http://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-easterling/

3. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If I was a betting man, I'd gamble on 90mph running on the May 6th run.

4. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Id love it to be on 1st May run as well!!!

5. LMarsh1987

TBC
    I'd prefer that so it doesn't clash with the final legs of the Great Britain.

6. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Instead it clashes for all of us up in Kyle ;)

Good to see more attempts of cross border steam again this year!

7. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Yarmouth is now on my hitlist... Would happily drive to Stevenage from York.

8. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Just read the latest copy of the Tornado Telegraph and it lists 2 more tours in the later part of the year that are not yet listed on the website.

The first is The Border Raider on Saturday 16th September, this is Tornado's first railtour departing steam hauled from Birmingham and the West Midlands.

This is a cracking trip with many miles at high speed as we travel to Carlisle via the WCML, with calls at Tame Bridge Parkway, Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Stafford and Crewe. The outward route is along the

edge of the Lakes and the return is via the Settle and Carlisle with its soaring viaducts, many tunnels and breath taking scenery. In between, whilst Tornado is turned and serviced, we have two to three hours to explore the Border City with its Castle and Museum

and many pleasant eateries.

The second is The Tyne-Tees Express on Saturday 7th October to experience Tornado on the ECML this time from West Midlands and East Midlands stations. Diesel hauled from Dorridge, Solihull and Tamworth, Tornado joins the train at Derby Station and

then calls at Chesterfield and Sheffield. The train is routed via Swinton to Doncaster, Tornado will stretch her legs on the ECML as we visit the beautiful city of York. Tornado then speeds further north and passes her birthplace at Darlington and on to Durham,

where there is a chance to disembark and visit the city with its Norman Cathedral. The final destination is Newcastle where you can take over two hours to enjoy the city. The return journey is routed as outward to Doncaster and then via Rotherham Central and

outward stations. Tornado returns the train as far as Derby where a diesel takes over for the return to Tamworth, Solihull and Dorridge.

It's nice to see the East and West Midlands as starting points for tours for a change as opposed to London where start and finish times tend to mean overnight stays for those of us in this part of the world. I am aware of course that Vintage Trains tours start from

the West Midlands and PMR are usually from the East Midlands but the latter are not promoting any this year.

So there we are, two more what should be pure steam tours, apart from the diesel legs mentioned, lets hope they are well patronised.

Dave B

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Those are both excellent itineraries, and the bonus is that they are on Saturdays. I think this will be the year of Tornado for me, as I'm already booked on March 1 and am interested in Yarmouth- I think I'll also end up doing both of these, with the Carlisle trip going through New Street and Wolverhampton as well as clocking-up around 420 miles.

The second trip is interesting as presumably it will pass through Dronfield if it picks up at Sheffield? A pretty rare stretch for steam if so. Equally is passing through Rotherham Central on the return.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

According to the latest HR, Tornado is booked to haul the first three Torbay's on 18th June, July 2nd and July 23rd.

11. Groks212

I think it will be the same for me too. Already booked on the 29th April and 1st May with a good chance of booking for the 6th May to see the progress on the P2. The Easterling and those 2 are strong possibilties for me too. Regarding your question I guess the

answer to that would be yes.

Dave B

Bulleid Pacific likes this.
  12. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

And me. Already got 1st March, 6th and 29th May booked. And now these two runs and the Yarmouth trip have won me over, especially the prospect of 90mph running on the WCML.

13. LMarsh1987

TBC
    The one from Brum has got to be the standout for me. That's some serious steam mileage !

14. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    .... and Derby - Newcastle ret is no slouch either. I aim to be on one or both of these so long as they aren't departing/returning as stupid o'clock. Can only assume some 90mph running must be involved !

15. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

After watching the videos of 60163 from this weekend, I think this is a great moment to acknowledge The A1 Locomotive Trust and the standards they have set for mainline steam in 2017.

That standard is high performance.

16. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Pity no-one seems to be bringing the big engine from Penzance on a railtour.

17. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Well, it will need to run tender first at least as far as Par and possibly all the way to Plymouth.

18. Groks212

I know the Duchess has done Derby - Newcastle and return before and I don't think the departing/returning times were stupid o'clock, but I suppose it depends on what you think is stupid o'clock.

Be nice if there is some 90mph running involved.

Dave B

19. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I just looked at many of the spring tours here are some statuses that I noticed

March 1 St. David's
    First Class Non Dining is fully booked and online bookings have closed. Please call the office to be added to the waiting list.

April 29 North Briton
    First Class Dining is fully booked and Standard Class is nearly full so online bookings have closed for these classes. Please call the office to check if any seats remain or to be added to the waiting list.
    First Class Non Dining is virtually full, please ring the office to purchase one of the remaining seats.

May 1 Heart of Midlothian
    First Class Non Dining is virtually full and online bookings have closed. Please call the office to check if any seats remain.

May 6 The Talisman
    Their is still ticket availability in all classes

May 29 The Cornishman
    First Class Dining and Non Dining are fully booked and online bookings have closed. Please call the office to be added to the waiting list.
    You can still book Standard Class online.

20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The new tours are up. Although I will be booking Great Yarmouth, I'll be holding fire for the moment with the other two as that time of year is beginning to look busy with the Bognor and Devon Belles, and I would like to know the score with Charity Railtours' trip to Felixstowe before booking anything else.