If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Mutual Improvements Class Website

Discussion in 'Locomotive M.I.C.' started by ahardy, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ahardy

ahardy Member

As part of the Kent and East Sussex Railways on-going training program a group of Volunteers and Staff led by the railways Operating Assistant, Andy Hardy, have been creating a new resource to bring together information and material to aid the development and training of Operating Department members.

The website aims to provide a source for hand-outs, books, videos and other information in one easy to find location complementing our MIC classes and practical training sessions.
    It is planned to add more material and further expand the website in the coming months implementing suggestions from our Volunteers and Staff.

To view the website click on the link: www.kesr-mic.org.uk

After some discussion we have decided to make the website available to the public and encourage anyone from other heritage railways and organisations to view and contribute to the website. We would like to continue developing this website and ask people to share this with the relevant people within their organisations. We would be very interested in forming links with other railways and sharing material to everyone’s mutual benefit. If you think your Operating Department would be interested please ask them to get in touch, or if you or your organisation have any suggestions, improvements or material you would like to contribute we would like to hear from you via the ‘contact us’ page.

We hope you enjoy the website and find it useful.

Thanks for reading.

Andy Hardy
    K&ESR Operating Assistant

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for posting this, Andy. The NYMR already has good links with KESR and I'm sure that it can add to it. No doubt John will join in for Middleton.
    P.S. you need to alter your spelling of Walschaert valve gear, never mind "Walcherts'"! The valve gear name has no 's' although Egide Walschaerts, the inventor, does have one. This is due to an error in filing the patent.

3. ahardy

ahardy Member

Thanks for the comments Steve, spelling was never my strong point as you no doubt remember!

John has had copies of the material and access to the site. Hopefully some at MRT will find it useful.

4. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    As an ex KESR volunteer who started the guards MIC I was pleased to watch the video and thought it clear consise and extreemly useful. This was very good work.

Mark seems to be enjoying the fruits of life. Pot kettle really as I have put on a few pounds since. Perhaps it is not having to climb up & down so often to work the crossing gates.

5. Azrall

Azrall Member

Commercial Manager
    This is a fantastic website, thank you for sharing, and I will definitely use this for future reference. I've recently had the pleasure of becoming the S&CR Deputy Operations Manager and we're looking at ways of improving training materials and processes. :)

thanks again for this!

6. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    A very interesting site, thanks for making it more public, it could prove very useful

7. ahardy

ahardy Member

Thanks for the comments. If you have any material at the SVR, or know of people who have anything, particularly historical material please get in touch with me.

Many thanks

Andy

8. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    We don't really have any MIC material available at the valley although occasionally when someone comes across historical documents from the big 4 or BR they do pass it round, I've got a collection of historical material myself, I'll have a look and see if I can find anything that might be of interest.

9. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    I have several historical books from the various companies, mostly GWR, but including "The Steam Locomotive, its faults and failures and how to deal with them," issued by the LNER, which contains a number of exquisite fold - out diagrams. I subsequently enlarged them and put them into a sleeved A4 folder. They helped my through my driving exams in 1998 and several of my firemen since, the last of whom still has it, having just done his exams.

I expect them back in April, when we have a footplate week.

If you like, I can dig them out of my wardrobe and we can compare notes.

I love your site by the way.

Regards,

John Hancock