If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Build Claud Hamilton

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Lady Hamilton 8783, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It would still be hauling a rake of Mk 1s or 2s which would diminish the impact somewhat. Personally I don't see a problem with 7ft-wheeled 4-4-0s working on lines such as the NNR (which would be its natural home) - its how most of the 4-4-0 classes ended up in later years as they were displaced by bigger engines.

2. knotty

knotty Member

3. knotty

knotty Member

@61624

Good point. In an ideal world a complementary set of clerestory carriages would be constructed. There are however a set of 4 GCR Barnums dating from 1910 which do exist and are currently under restoration at the GCR Stock Trust.

Today I stumbled across agroup looking to build a Parker MSL/GCR Class 2 4-4-0. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=162690612985#!/group.php?gid=162690612985&v=wall While not as grand as a Robinson C4 4-4-2, it would nonetheless be a wonderful rebuild.

4. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    All this talk of 4-4-0s has got me dribbling they allways looked aesthetically spot on

5. knotty

knotty Member

@shedbasher.
    Hear, hear! And given that 4-4-0's were the flagship express locomotives of the late Victorian and early Edwardian periods, having more extant representatives is a very good thing.

Often the crack pre-grouping 4-4-0's were developments of pre-existing 2-4-0s (take Johnson's early 4-4-0's for instance. It could conceivably be possible to construct two loco's (a 4-4-0 and 2-4-0) and share much of the componentry and tooling.

I love pre-grouping 4-4-0's but have a soft spot for the symmetry of an Atlantic. I cannot wait to see the Bluebell's replica an LBSCR Atlantic 'Beachy Head' in steam and I hope one day someone will tackle a GCR Jersey Lilly.

6. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So much demand for 4-4-0's... How long is it since the Midland Compound was steamed, or Butler henderson for that matter...

7. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Its good to know Im not alone .My local shed 15d untill it was downgraded to 14e had many 4-4-0s and the sound of a compound and a jubilee double headed was pure music up Sharnbrook bank I applaud the guys getting the Claud Hamilton new build hope I see it before I leave this mortal coil.Love the pic knotty

8. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Last time I saw Butler Henderson in steam was on the GCR and that was long back never had the chance to see the Compound when that was last out .Bring em back I say

9. knotty

knotty Member

The Johnson Spinner would be my prime candidate for steaming.

As to a MR new build, I propose MR 1757 Beatrice replica resplendent in her original condition with her original Johnson smokebox and chimeny: http://www.midlandrailway.org.uk/sites/default/files/1757-beatrice150.jpg and/or a Johnson 1833 class 0-4-4t tank http://basilicafields.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/mr-1833-22222.jpg. Anyway, I'm getting carried away but learning of two seemingly serious attempts a two pre-grouping replicas excites me greatly and give me hope that more pre-grouping engines will be considered especially given their suitability for preservation rail and given their charm which would surely appeal to visitors.

10. knotty

knotty Member

Agreed and thanks shedbasher. If I'm correct, it's a North Staffordshire Railway 'G' class (you're talking about my avatar?). A fairly obscure locomotive from a relatively forgotten railway.

11. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Yes was the G class great looking loco and the pic you put on of Beatrice lovely .Im off to York on the 7th may Cromwell hauled so will put our suggestions in the box let see some pre gouping engines for a change

12. knotty

knotty Member

Cheers! If it were possible I'd love to organise something like this myself but when it comes to heritage preservation I guess I'll have to stick to my volunteer-work restoring old bicycles to the former glory, especially given I'm based here in Oslo. (Saw a lovely 1946 Raleigh come through the workshop two weeks ago)

Anyway best of luck to the fellows behind the Lady Hamilton. I'll be sure to send some donation money your way.

13. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    I have a friend who also restores old bicycles will send some pics when he has his next display

14. knotty

knotty Member

That'd be great shedbasher . For me bicycles are up there with the steam engine in being man's most perfect inventions.

15. NNR Engineer

NNR Engineer New Member

More good publicity for the group, with an article in 'Steam Railway' magazine (388). Looks like the idea's catching on.

16. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    Yes. I haven't seen yet. Thanks for all the great comments again. Means a lot to this project.

17. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

I take it your something to do with the project? or are you just a supporter/member? is this the first time its been mentioned in a magazine?

18. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  19. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

20. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I have to agree that it is great to have several new 4-4-0 build projects underway.

4-4-0s have been badly represented in preservation (particularly in operation) in the past, fortunately though, they have resently been making a come back;

With City of Truro being as busy as ever, Morayshire No.246 steaming strong, the grand return of T9 No.30120, and of course the Schools Class trio: Repton No.30926, Stowe No.928 and Cheltenham No.925 all to steam in the near future (and no doubt the three will be brought together at some point).

With all the engines above running and now these 4-4-0 new builds, the locomotives of the 4-4-0 wheel arangement will be firmly in front in the minds of tourist and enthusiasts alike, make no mistake!

Afterall, 4-4-0s are generally well suited to heritage railways for several reason such as:

•Their generally elegant and unique looks can pull the crowds.
    •They have ample power and abilties that can be most useful to most heritage railways (just look at City of Truro and Repton, their no weaklings thats for sure).
    •Their generally more simpler and efficient engines to operate and care for then bigger engines like a Pacific.